Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FD adapter

Has anyone used one of the FD to PK adapters that is available on ebay now? I have a bunch of old FD lenses (the OLD nice ones!) from my film days and I thought it might be fun. Its only $30. I know it would degrade things optically, I just thought is might be fun to bring a frankenstein to one of the local photo club events.

10-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
Has anyone used one of the FD to PK adapters that is available on ebay now? I have a bunch of old FD lenses (the OLD nice ones!) from my film days and I thought it might be fun. Its only $30. I know it would degrade things optically, I just thought is might be fun to bring a frankenstein to one of the local photo club events.
I bought one with the hope of finding some nice old canon glass cheap. So far, all I have is an FD 50mmF1.8 which is not really all that nice.

I have tested the aedaptor with this lens and can comment as follows.

the adaptor has a 2 element correction group which offers some magnification as the means of retaining infinity focus (i.e. it is really a cheap TC)

Magnification ratio is 1.45x

as a result it has limited use on wide angle lenses, especially conisdering the crop factor of the sensor also.

performance wise it sffers from color blooming when used with the 50mm wide open, but this is much improved stopped down.

the adaptor has all the necessary interlocks to make the lens behave as a manual aperture lens, where you would focus wide open and stop down to meter and shoot.

I also have the nikon adaptor which is only 1.25x. but it also suffers the same color blead when used wide open.
10-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the old posts. I wonder if I misspelled something in my search. I didn't see these. In looking at the samples, I'd rather put the money to an old M42 than an adapter. Although part of me still likes the Frankenstein....