Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Many years ago when I insured all my Canon gear I was having a coversation with the agent over the phone and he told me to keep all my serial numbers as private as possible.

The reason he gave was that the insurance company had received fraudulent claims on equipment by untraceable people ( using post drop off address' ) who had gone into camera shops, noted the numbers on equipment, insured it, and shortly after had it 'stolen'.

The scam was uncovered when the company checked a bit more closely on a suspicious claim and discovered the equipment was still unsold in a shop!

12 months insurance is fairly cheap, the payout on a full kit is a lot of money.

10-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the interface is also missing a "delete" function.
10-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vins Quote
2. Could open a function that user can sorting by other users' name ?? Such as : I would like to know how many lens Adam have :P
There's a "My Serials" link in the upper-right. I won't be adding a user lookup function for privacy reasons.

QuoteOriginally posted by tsangpo Quote
For the lenses I think there needs to be a standardisation of new entries added with say xx( - xx)mm Fx.x so that they are sorted in ascending order of widest focal length. It is already getting a bit convuluted with only three pages.
That's what the default sorting goes by, and that looks kosher to me right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
And on new listings, who supplies the image?
You do- just type in a link. It can be to an image from our lens database, or one from google.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Is there anyway to add non-Pentax brand (but still K-mount) lenses ? Or is the database meant for genuine Pentax items only ?
Let's stick to Pentax-only.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tsangpo Quote
For the lenses I think there needs to be a standardisation of new entries added with say xx( - xx)mm Fx.x so that they are sorted in ascending order of widest focal length. It is already getting a bit convuluted with only three pages.
The default sort is by focal length. That only works as you point out if the users follow the standard pattern for inputting lens data: xx(-xx)mm Fx.x

10-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
A sugestion to have the lenses sorted by line up
eg-
DA page 1
FA page 2
A page 3
etc...

Because right now the lenses are all over the place and looks very messy.
We decided on a sort by focal length as the default. However, you can do a search on "Pentax-DA" for example, and only DA lenses will show (sorted by focal length).

We decided on the sort by focal length so as to make data entry less error prone when entering serial for, say, a 50mm Takumar. It is now easy to see, when you get to the 50mm section, that you'll have to be very careful and pick the right type (Auto-, Super-, SMC, Super-Multi-Coated etc.), since they will be shown next to each other.

Last edited by Ole; 10-09-2010 at 01:06 PM.
10-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering, not that it could be implemented now, whether it would have been easier to tack the serial database for each lens straight onto the lens review database entires, instead of having to re-enter all the lenses into a separate database - that way even 3rd party lenses can have entries and the lenses are already all there - just a matter of having a serial number link on each lens's review page to enter and review data.
10-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think that having a separate database is better - it's a lot easier to browse. What we could consider for the future is having a field in the lens DB that sends the data over to the serial DB.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For privacy reasons, we are now hiding owner usernames from the public (guests).

Adam

10-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhpatmore Quote
The initial blurb used the word 'defer' theft. I thnk that was a typo and should read 'deter' theft. In any event I am not sure exactly how it does that. Does a would be burglar have any notion that the camera, lens or whatever had been included here? Do the police, camera dealers or private buyers access the database to see if an item has been registered?
James
I liked the (now corrected) typo- defer theft: Sooner or later your gear will be stolen! Well, let's hope not.

If you are offered a lens or camera at a too good price on e-bay or in a dark alley you can check the database and contact the owner via an administrator before purchasing.
10-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Many years ago when I insured all my Canon gear I was having a coversation with the agent over the phone and he told me to keep all my serial numbers as private as possible.

The reason he gave was that the insurance company had received fraudulent claims on equipment
+1

I have to compliment the guys running this site and say that Pentaxforums is a great place. However, this publication of unique identifiers seems potentially ill-advised. It might have been an idea to put this to a vote on the forums prior to actioning it?

PS Lloydy, had a look at your Flickr, I've been in the slate mine...the mountain marathon race that made the news in October 2008...I was there...rain was blowing up the sides of the Honister pass like it was on fire...a camera would have been great, but it would have had to have been waterproof to 10m

Last edited by whojammyflip; 10-09-2010 at 03:18 PM.
10-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote

The reason he gave was that the insurance company had received fraudulent claims on equipment by untraceable people ( using post drop off address' ) who had gone into camera shops, noted the numbers on equipment, insured it, and shortly after had it 'stolen'.

The scam was uncovered when the company checked a bit more closely on a suspicious claim and discovered the equipment was still unsold in a shop!

12 months insurance is fairly cheap, the payout on a full kit is a lot of money.
I don't see the problem about fraudulent claims. What insurance company would pay out anything if you cannot produce a receipt? And even if they did - it isn't a problem for the righteous owner.
10-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
+1

I have to compliment the guys running this site and say that Pentaxforums is a great place. However, this publication of unique identifiers seems potentially ill-advised.
+1
I have to agree both that the initiative of the database is fantadtic, but the risks are high (in my opinion) that some individuals logged in as Forum users to access the information and use it fraudulently.

For example, I would have been more open to provide my serial numbers (body, lens) if the identity of the owner was anonymous and only accessible by the senior administrators (eg Adam, Ole). I believe that some unscrupulous individuals, logged in as members, could access a lot of info on the individual times and their owners. Presently I do prefer not to supply my serials.

I can appreciate that some may disagree but different countries, different customs ... and the Forum being international...
10-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here you guys go:
Attached Images

Adam

10-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery
What about serial numbers for stolen items? I've been in the unfortunate situation of having my stuff burgled, but I did make sure I had all the serial numbers stored somewhere.
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
What about serial numbers for stolen items? I've been in the unfortunate situation of having my stuff burgled, but I did make sure I had all the serial numbers stored somewhere.
Throw em on in.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I think the interface is also missing a "delete" function.
It's there - upper-right corner of the edit page (for serials, not items). If you screw up an item, fix it, or contact a staff member.

Adam