Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #46
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
With all the recent additions and changes and the headaches they've incurred, I guess I'd be asking too much if I suggested "Pentax Compact Camera Database", wouldn't I?
We're not going down that route- there's next to no interest! At best, a listing it was we could do.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #47
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd like to make everybody aware of the print view:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-serial-number-database/?do=printmyserials

This is useful if you want to use the database to keep track of your own serials.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #48
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like the DB has seen extensive use so far- this is great to see, especially considering that the software was written from the ground up specifically for this purpose. Now, let's get some K-5, K-r, and new lens serials in there!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-serial-number-database/

Adam

11-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #49
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't know why, but the database wasn't accessible to guests for a while- now, it's back! Check it out!

Adam

11-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #50
Forum Member

I have a 50mm lens that doesn't seem to have a serial number - the plate, if there was one, has fallen off or been removed. Is the serial number coded into the lens as well, and accessible via EXIF data or via the camera?
11-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #51
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by djb21au Quote
I have a 50mm lens that doesn't seem to have a serial number - the plate, if there was one, has fallen off or been removed. Is the serial number coded into the lens as well, and accessible via EXIF data or via the camera?
Nope, not AFAIK. The serial number is usually only on the bottom of the lens (older lenses) or on the front ring (newer lenses).

Adam

12-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #52

Thanks Adam and Co for all the hard work.........

03-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #53

Photos: Gallery
How do I log my serial numbers?
03-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #54
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Go here: Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Find the item(s) you want to add numbers for, and click on the "add serial" link.

Adam

03-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #55

Is there any reason why Adorama would send me an older serial number 16-50 2.8 than the one I returned? They were out of stock for over a month and on backorder. So I get the supposedly new stock, and the serial number dates back to 1 year ago? What's going on?
03-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Is there any reason why Adorama would send me an older serial number 16-50 2.8 than the one I returned? They were out of stock for over a month and on backorder. So I get the supposedly new stock, and the serial number dates back to 1 year ago? What's going on?
Serial numbers aren't necessarily sequential. A better indicator is the included paperwork- does it have Pentax, Pentax Ricoh, or Ricoh branding?

Adam

03-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #57

Yes there is Ricoh all over the box. Why aren't serial numbers sequential? I thought all serial numbers of any product were?
04-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Yes there is Ricoh all over the box. Why aren't serial numbers sequential? I thought all serial numbers of any product were?
From reading other posters here and various other sources over the years I've gathered that Pentax uses batches of numbers for their products that match up with the planned production runs. Consequently if there is a short replensihment run of something like an expensive lens and there is a small open series of numbers starting lower than the original series they might use that out-of-sequence series. There also doesn't seem to be a logical coding, such as camera bodies start with one number and lenses (or primary series' of lenses) start with a different number. They just seem to use what's available. One exception seems to be Limited lenses, which start with zeroes. Pentax doesn't seem to have a good historical record of serial numbers; at least no one I've read has ever been able to source them.

It is fascinating to go into the Serial Number Database and sort an item by serial number to see the jumps in numbers.
03-28-2017, 04:41 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forget this database is here. But I think it is very easy to use as is. I am not worried about having my serial #'s online here. It my help with recovery if someone does have their equipment stolen.
04-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Red Serial Numbers

Why are some serials numbers in bold red?