Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 09:44 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Serial Number Database

Many users have suggested a serial number database for Pentax lenses and cameras. Adam has now created the backbone and it is up to us users to populate the database.

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

This database is a supplement to the lens and camera review databases. The intention is to provide a place to register serial numbers and optionally note peculiarities and quirks with individual copies of the equipment. Reviews as such should continue to go into the relevant review database.

Concerned about privacy? You can add serial number anonymously.

Want to use the database to keep track of your own serials? Add them (either normally or anonymously), and then click on "View My Serials" in the upper-left corner of the page.
Want to print all your serials? Use the print view.

Enjoy!

Old threads: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22297-da%2A-16...-database.html

10-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Excellent idea. Will this expand to cover more lenses and camera bodies?
10-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You're free to add whatever item you want to the database. Just read the instructions at the top of the page.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #4

Thanks, great stuff, oh, it's missing a section for flashes.

10-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

How does the database deter theft?

The initial blurb used the word 'defer' theft. I thnk that was a typo and should read 'deter' theft. In any event I am not sure exactly how it does that. Does a would be burglar have any notion that the camera, lens or whatever had been included here? Do the police, camera dealers or private buyers access the database to see if an item has been registered?
James
10-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #6

This is a great idea. I inserted all my serials - except one. It is a Beroflex 300mm f4 and I cannot find any information about this lens online. Can somebody help me? How should I add this item to the database?

10-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

For the lenses I think there needs to be a standardisation of new entries added with say xx( - xx)mm Fx.x so that they are sorted in ascending order of widest focal length. It is already getting a bit convuluted with only three pages.

10-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #8

Some little suggestions:

1. Could Admin put all lens' data as many as possible ?? At least latest in 20 ~ 30 yrs.
It could help to be only one description style.
2. Could open a function that user can sorting by other users' name ??
Such as : I would like to know how many lens Adam have :P
10-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
Banned

Great idea. I entered some of my stuff, do some tomorrow. I wonder if this somehow reveales productionnumbers of various items.
10-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A sugestion to have the lenses sorted by line up
eg-
DA page 1
FA page 2
A page 3
etc...

Because right now the lenses are all over the place and looks very messy.
10-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good point. Unless the databases are locked anyone in the world will have access. I'm having second thoughts about this now.
10-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would suggest that ALL the styles of lenses be listed, not just SMC or newer, Plenty of NON SMC Super Takumar's out there., Even then, AF lenses have a few kinds, F, FA, D-FA, JA,

On Body's:
Some body's had different names in different markets..... Should we list them under one designation? Pentax Super Program is not listed, but the Pentax Super A is... same model with a different name.

And on new listings, who supplies the image?
10-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You're free to add whatever item you want to the database. Just read the instructions at the top of the page.
Is there anyway to add non-Pentax brand (but still K-mount) lenses ? Or is the database meant for genuine Pentax items only ?
10-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I managed to screw up by adding a duplicate Pentax-A 50/1.7 entry. From what I can tell, there is a lot of clean-up to be done. Lots of entries put in with serial numbers in the description and quite a few duplicates (like mine).

Steve
10-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
Thanks, great stuff, oh, it's missing a section for flashes.
That might be an accessory?