Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need advice

Dear Sage Lens Masters,

I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy a 135mm manual prime or should I wait for the holidays when I'm likely to have more money and buy either a Tamron 70-300 or the sigma counterpart. For the primes which do I go with the k series or m series?
Both are the F 3.5 version ( the 2.8 is too expensive for me)

Thanks for the help,

Alex

10-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I like the Tamron 70-300 and for the money, think it a damn good lens. I'm sure others will tell you to get the Pentax DA(L) 55-300 instead and that may even be the best advice. However, I see the tamron turn up on the marketplace and ebay once in awhile for under $100 (US). No experience with the Sigma but I've read that if you go that route, get the APO version.

That said. The M135 f3.5 is a nice compact lens. Comes with a Built in hood as an added bonus. These photos were taken with one I just sold (except the Mack, sold that lens 3 years ago). Most of the night shots were taken wide open.

Index of /Photos/ForSale/M135

If you can find one at a price you're willing to pay, the K135 f2.5 simply blows the M135 away though (IMO). It is also nearly twice the size.

Another option worth looking into is the Takumar (not bayonet mount) M42 135s.

10-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
There are so many options, I'll probably end up with one of the primes and a 70-300 zoom anyway. I'm a student so I try and stay cheap which kinda discourages me from the m42 lenses because I have to but the adapter also. But I did find some interesting third party M42 stuff, old Vivitars and Tamrons but there's not very much info on them.
How does the M 135 compare to the K 135? Supposedly the K series is better optically? But larger than the M Series.
10-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by traumaalert Quote
There are so many options, I'll probably end up with one of the primes and a 70-300 zoom anyway. I'm a student so I try and stay cheap which kinda discourages me from the m42 lenses because I have to but the adapter also. But I did find some interesting third party M42 stuff, old Vivitars and Tamrons but there's not very much info on them.
You're the first person I've ever encountered who shied away from M42 lenses due to cost. The cost of an adapter and a lens (or two......or three) is still cheaper than a 70-300 zoom.

Lots of folks, myself included, start using them because they are so much more economical. Then we get hooked on the fantastic quality and hold secret meetings where we sit around and giggle at folks who pay much more for newer and lesser lenses.

You owe it yourself to wander through at least a few pages of the Takumar Club thread. It is not without reason that the thread is currently at 379 pages.

10-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just began looking at the m42 lenses after Jeff's post, I hadn't really considered them before, don't know why, just never did. Where can I buy an adapter and are there different types of adapters?
10-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just began looking at the m42 lenses after Jeff's post, I hadn't really considered them before, don't know why, just never did. Where can I buy an adapter and are there different types of adapters?
My personal opinion is that purchasing anything other than the genuine Pentax adapter (which is about $30) in order to save a few bucks is to engage in false economy. If you cut corners and get a third-party model the only absolute no-no is that you must be careful not to get one with a flange on it. The adapter must seat completely inside the lens mount and be flush with it. The flanged type protrude a bit outside the lens mount and make it impossible to focus lenses to infinity.

I have no idea where to get one in the U.S. but I'm sure someone will come along who can provide that information for you.
10-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

You can order one directly From Pentax..

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)

10-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks alot guys, definitely going to be looking at the screwmount lenses now

10-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

...How does the M 135 compare to the K 135? Supposedly the K series is better optically? But larger than the M Series.
I have both of these, and, yes, the K version is a fair bit bigger and heavier. Personally, I think the M version is a little gem - with the emphasis on "little"; it's beautifully compact - much smaller and lighter than ANY other 135/3.5. I don't think there's all that much to choose between them, optically (though the K's probably superior).

The advantage of the Takumars is that they're beautifully smooth to focus, but I would recommend the S-M-C versions over the Super-Taks (in my experience they're superior optically, and, anyway, the coatings are better).

Another option, as you're on a tight budget, would be the dreaded Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5, but DON'T spend more than about $35US on it, even if it's mint. It's actually quite a likeable lens, at the right price.

I'm sure you'd be happy with any of the above lenses, so it comes down to what's available, in what condition, and at what price.
10-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention:

All too often, you see the Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5 being advertised as simply a Takumar or Pentax lens, and at a price which may seem tempting compared to the "genuine" (i.e. Super-Tak, S-M-C Tak or K) f2.5 versions.

Beware!