Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

"uneven"/difficult to estimate ebay pricing?

Recently, I was looking at two separate Pentax SMC 120 2.8 M42 lenses.
Both were in described fairly mint condition, one was complete with everything, caps, case & including the specific hood....the other did not have the hood, but sold for $100 more than the one with the original specific hood. Approx pricing: with hood $200, without hood $300!!!
Cheers, Pickles.

10-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I bought my SMC Takumar with a bonus Spotmatic I paid AUD $80. Earlier that week the lens on its own was selling fo $120+. Pancolar 50 f1.8 with bonus Praktica cost me 20 quid versus no bonus camera 40 quid. I think part of the sales pricing is based on how many folk are hunting for a particular item that week. Beer o'clock bidders get obsessed with a need to win the item. Crap listings plus how an item gets catalogued also affect the final price. A lovely tool I have is a magnifying glass, poorly listed item and we use the magnifying glass to spot the lens on the camera body, ask if the item is as per photo and you never know your luck.
10-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

For fun, search eBay for TAKUMAR 50MM in COMPLETED LISTINGS and note the variation. Yes, it's probably a function of who is awake and hungry at any particular hour.

Just for ducks, when you see any winning bid that looks ridiculously high or low, look at the bidding history of that item, see what kind of shoot-out occurred, and the feedback scores of winners and losers. And with seemingly overpriced items, look for patterns that might indicate a shill.
10-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

Yes you see some really wacky price variations on Ebay. I suspect people just get carried away in the heat of the moment. I have also noticed that the day of the week makes a difference on the price of an item, high on a Sunday low in the middle of the week.

10-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
could of been that hood was in really bad shape

This pdf has been availible for a while, pickles, its a database of lens prices
at ebay,keh, etc. might have to adjust for inflation, info is close to year old.

Regards,
Bill

http://www.jcolwell.ca/photography/lens$db/Lens$db-v12.pdf