Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Teleconverters and SDM

Have any of those people with an SDM lens tried a teleconverter, of any make, with them? If so does the SDM still function?

09-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't see how it could, it requires a special connection between the lens and body made possible by two contacts behind the lens mount, not in it. It will likely act the same way it does if you don't have the firmware updated.
09-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I don't see how it could, it requires a special connection between the lens and body made possible by two contacts behind the lens mount, not in it. It will likely act the same way it does if you don't have the firmware updated.
Some teleconverters were made with the two power contacts to support the older power zoom lenses (e.g., the Tamron AF and also the Kenko AF, I think). Since SDM uses the same power contacts and the converter merely passes through the electrical connections, the SDM will work with these converters. I recall reading a user post somewhere of someone who tried this (with the Tamron 1.4X AF) and SDM did, in fact, function.

Last edited by GaryML; 09-11-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
09-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I recall reading a user post somewhere of someone who tried this (with the Tamron a.4X AF) and SDM did, in fact, function.
I recall hearing something like that somewhere too. But I want to know FOR SURE! I can see a 60-250 in my future, so if a I buy a TC now, I'd rather not have to replace it down the line.

09-11-2007, 01:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An user on the Italian Pentax Forum has stated that his Kenko 1,5x with powerzoom contacts works perfectly with the 16-50 DA*.
09-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Tamron 1.4x works fine according to someone who tried it on DPR. Will hunt a bit more though since the lens becomes an f/4 instead of f/2.8...
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Kenyee - that would be great if you can find that out, I was thinking of getting one of those Tamrons.
09-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 1.4x TC and DA* 50-135mm

I was just down in the American Southwest and used this combo a few times. First off, SDM continues to work just fine.

For a moon (half full) shot, the 50-135 by itself was hunting for focus. With the TC, it locked focus much better (I use spot focusing exclusively so I guess the larger moon helped). Couldn't focus on Jupiter at all :-) but I tried.

I also used the combo in the Grand Canyon a bit. I it would focus but not lock. I would lift my finger off of the shutter release and depress it half way again and it would lock instantly (I don't think it even refocused at all). My shots had a lot of green bushes/med brown or red earth in them at the time (not too much contrast).

All in all, in very bright light you could be ok. In average light, two shots on the shutter release will do it. I haven't tried the combo in low light yet. The combo is great - the lens is so sharp you have to work hard to get the image soft!

//Don