Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filled with rage: lost lens hood

So this weekend on a trip with my girlfriend, I len her my DSLR while I used my Spotmatic.

She passed the camera back to me at the end of the night, sans-hood.

She apologized and I told her not to worry. It's only a lens hood.

Today I went online to get a replacement from Sigma for the 30mm f1.4.

F---ers want 35$ for it in Korea!!!! In the U.S. it's 20$ plus 7$ shipping.

I don't use bad language much but this is absolutely ridiculous.

A 25 cent piece of plastic!

I will have her call a service center and tell them that if this is the best price they can give a customer, then I'm never buying a lens from them again.

Absolute robbery if you ask me.

I think I found out where Sigma makes all their profit from

10-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #2

like the cartridges of a printer -> It's cheaper to buy a new printer!

a piece of s***! Go for a rubber one.
10-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

KEH often has original (used) hoods for sale less than 1/2 new price. They go pretty fast so you have to check their online inventory often to catch the one you need. As DaniRo suggests, I too use rubber ones until I can beg or buy a proper replacement.
10-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lol you should see what Pentax charges for replacement hoods.

10-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm exactly in the same boat - and I feel your rage. And add my own...
I lost my 16-50's hood. While this isn't dramatic (considering the venues I brought my camera to) it surely is annoying.
Lens hood price is 27+ (37$). But I don't see a way how I could get it cheaper. Does somebody know some way to get it cheaper?
KEH isn't an option for me I guess living in Germany.
10-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That sucks but hey, it's only a lens hood... are you surprised that businesses try to pray money from captive customers?

I'm not

At least you got a lens hood in the first place. With a Canikon, you wouldn't...
10-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote
She apologized and I told her not to worry. It's only a lens hood.
Pardon me if I can't sympathize with your rant... It's only a lens hood.
BTW ever thought of asking your girl friend to pay for it?
10-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
At least you got a lens hood in the first place. With a Canikon, you wouldn't...

Yeah, be thankful that you get the hood in the first place; most Canikon lens (accept the L glass) doesn't come with hood; and yes, it costs you that much for the plastic.

10-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

If you REALLY wanna get excited, consider that the lens hood for a zoom lens can only be efficient at the widest FL; it's nearly useless at the longest FL. I quit using 'em long ago and only keep them around for re-selling a lens later.

On average, a collapsible rubber hood and a hand-held card serves me far better than the plastic tulip hoods. And a dozen rubber hoods can be purchased for the cost of one OEM plastic doohickey.

For static situations, I used to build my own custom hoods using stiff black paper, double-stick tape and/or rubber bands and empty filter rings or short hoods. If you just want a tulip hood anyway, one solution is to wrap stiff paper around the original hood and make a pattern that's longer (deeper) than the original. Cut it to shape and attach to the original hood with a rubber band. It can be extended and/or rotated as needed for longer FLs.

A plus factor was that it drives the purists nuts to see all that junk hangin' off a lens even though it's much more effective.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 10-10-2010 at 06:51 AM.
10-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
For static situations, I used to build my own custom hoods using stiff black paper, double-stick tape and/or rubber bands and empty filter rings or short hoods. If you just want a tulip hood anyway, one solution is to wrap stiff paper around the original hood and make a pattern that's longer (deeper) than the original. Cut it to shape and attach to the original hood with a rubber band. It can be extended and/or rotated as needed for longer FLs.

A plus factor was that it drives the purists nuts to see all that junk hangin' off a lens even though it's much more effective.

H2

pacerr - Do you ever visit this site? It gives you printable outlines for specific hoods and will even let you design your own.

http://www.lenshoods.net/
10-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

That's nothing. I lost my lens hood for my Pentax 16-45......Pentax Canada want $ 75 !!!

One thing you might want to try is go to your local camera store and try a wide angle collapsible hood...$ 9.95 up here. May work, may not...check one out for vignetting on your pix, before buying.
10-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Pacerr, I agree with most of what you say but Why would one buy a Tulip type hood for a Sigma 30mm f1.4?

QuoteQuote:
Today I went online to get a replacement from Sigma for the 30mm f1.4.
10-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
pacerr - Do you ever visit this site? It gives you printable outlines for specific hoods and will even let you design your own.

http://www.lenshoods.net/
Yeah, I know about it. I started to include that URL but I was too lazy to look it up this morning. Thanks, that's a useful tip for this topic.

I've been makin' my own patterns from scratch so long that site isn't too useful for me, but it's certainly an incentive for some folks to discover how a little extra customization of hoods can make a big difference in the performance of otherwise mediocre lenses.

IME, unnoticed incident light has a direct effect on contrast and apparent sharpness and a little effort with lens shading can definitely pay off.

H2
10-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
lol you should see what Pentax charges for replacement hoods.
+1 to that....
10-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I lost the viewfinder/rubber piece of the 20D. Pentax wants $30, which is bad enough, but also $7 to ship it, which is worse...

I could probably do without it, but the diopter adjustment is too easily screwed up without it...