Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the test also tells why an F2 24mm lens isn't enough and would disappoint those who think or believe that they can achieve that magical oof look for portraits with a 24mm lens at only f2 opening.
24/2 is just enough to isolate subject if you are close enough. Of course it's not as ideal as longer or faster lenses, but the cost of 24/1.4 would be too much and size would be interesting too IMHO

11-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'd love to see both of those! keep me posted please
Its to bloody hot and windy here to do anything outside of worth so It will have to wait until the weather co-operates.

Might as well do a quick non-scientific shootout between all of my similar focal lengths

did you just throw all of them into their MFD or what Axl?
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

24/2 is just enough to isolate subject if you are close enough. Of course it's not as ideal as longer or faster lenses, but the cost of 24/1.4 would be too much and size would be interesting too IMHO
Agree, another good reason why one should have the 31mm - be interesting to see the comparison between FA35 f2 or the new DA35 f2.4.
11-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Yep, the OOF rendering from the 31mm is beautiful, but this experiment also confirms my experience that the 31mm is not as sharp as the 43mm. Look at the details in the 43mm's pics! Now, why can't Pentax make the 43mm with the 31mm's bokeh? Just add a couple more blades

OK,
Asahiflex, Yeatzee and aleonx3 got it right.
The lenses are as follows; 43 - 31 - 77 - 24
this little experiment shows just why is 31 so valued for good OOF. Just shame I didn't have my K50 at home.... would make it more interesting

11-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vtqanh Quote
Yep, the OOF rendering from the 31mm is beautiful, but this experiment also confirms my experience that the 31mm is not as sharp as the 43mm. Look at the details in the 43mm's pics! Now, why can't Pentax make the 43mm with the 31mm's bokeh? Just add a couple more blades
In this case the blades don't matter as all of these are wide open...
11-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In this case the blades don't matter as all of these are wide open...
Exactly. Not only that, but blades will at best affect the shape of the out-of-focus highlights (including turning point sources of light into 'stars' in some instances), but the number of blades has no effect on the substantial quality or character of the bokeh, which has to do with the optical formula of a particular lens.
11-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Exactly. Not only that, but blades will at best affect the shape of the out-of-focus highlights (including turning point sources of light into 'stars' in some instances), but the number of blades has no effect on the substantial quality or character of the bokeh, which has to do with the optical formula of a particular lens.
You're right, it has to do with the optical formula.... and also to some extent, the number of blades will make a small difference when stopping down enough. That is if the sample tests were done with F4 across the board, it may give varying results.