Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
Which Pentax mount zoom or prime is fastest when hunting in low light?

Like a bar, gymnasium and so on?

how fares the AF of SDM lenses in this aspect example the pentax 50-135mm against "non-motorised" lens like tamron 28-75mm, sigma 24-70?

and how is the accuracy at that speed?


Last edited by Reportage; 10-11-2010 at 04:01 AM.
10-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,391
Well, I can't answer that with any authority, but I can tell you that my DA*50-135 hunts like an old coon dog with arthritis..........and in very low light it just lays own and goes to sleep!

My Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 HSM lenses are fast, accurate and quiet....no comparison to the Pentax.
Having said this....the DA* 50-135 is such a spectacular performer in IQ that I would want it if it was a full manual lens...it is that good!
Regards!
10-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, I can't answer that with any authority, but I can tell you that my DA*50-135 hunts like an old coon dog with arthritis..........and in very low light it just lays own and goes to sleep!

My Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 HSM lenses are fast, accurate and quiet....no comparison to the Pentax.
Having said this....the DA* 50-135 is such a spectacular performer in IQ that I would want it if it was a full manual lens...it is that good!
Regards!
arrgh..the answer i dreaded.
10-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Like a bar, gymnasium and so on?

how fares the AF of SDM lenses in this aspect example the pentax 50-135mm against "non-motorised" lens like tamron 28-75mm, sigma 24-70?

and how is the accuracy at that speed?
As Rupert mentioned, the DA*50-135 isn't the best performer (in terms of AF) in low-light. My Tamron 28-75 fares a bit better. The fastest lens I've every owned in terms of AF in low-light was the DA40. That thing was fast and could lock in near darkness.

10-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member
jaieger's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
Agreed with above, the DA40 is infallible in almost every respect. It's even faster than my FA50/1.7 which theoretically should be faster due to the AF sensor getting more light (the FA tends to second guess itself though :/). I shot with the DA40 at a concert which had pretty variable lighting, from pitch dark to blindingly bright, and never did I have to worry about it locking autofocus. The drunk lady behind me, on the other hand...
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
From the lenses I've tried: DA40 and F50/1.7. Both of them extremely fast and the F50 bit more accurate with over 1 stop advantage. But for bars I have tried both on K10D and would be happy to recommend!
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
Depending on the size of where I plan to be, when KNOWING there will be low lighting and the need for speed, I grab my FA50/1.4 or my FA35/2. Usually, the 50 get's the nod and set at 1.8, is very very nice.

Jason
10-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,644
I own FA 50, DA 40mm and FA 35mm. I've written them down in order of low light focussing ability. The FA 50 1.4 is the fastest to lock on, and least likely to hunt.

10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,068
The DA* 55/1.4 is pretty uncanny. It still has good contrast wide open (better than the FA50/1.4) which does make life easier on the AF system.
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The DA* 55/1.4 is pretty uncanny. It still has good contrast wide open (better than the FA50/1.4) which does make life easier on the AF system.
I've been eying the DA*55 but was under the impression that the AF was on the slow side. Not to the point of being unusable or anything, but just relative to the FA50/1.4.
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Although I don't own one, I'd expect a DA*200 to be reasonably fast.

All my DA primes (21/40/70) are very fast at AF'ing. My DA*50-135 is not, but then as others have said, the stunning IQ of the 50-135 means I can forgive it's sluggish AF behavour. It's not terribly slow (no worse than the 55-300 I think), but yeah, it's no DA40.
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
DA40 is probably the fastest.
10-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
Original Poster
how about 3rd party primes like the sigma 30mm f/1.4 and so on?
10-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,068
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I've been eying the DA*55 but was under the impression that the AF was on the slow side. Not to the point of being unusable or anything, but just relative to the FA50/1.4.
If you compare how long it takes for the lens to travel from nearest to farthest focus, the 50/1.4 is a little faster, but in normal picture taking situations, it's a bit of a toss up.
There is less hunting with the DA.
10-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you compare how long it takes for the lens to travel from nearest to farthest focus, the 50/1.4 is a little faster, but in normal picture taking situations, it's a bit of a toss up.
There is less hunting with the DA.
Thanks for the info. Regardless, I'm sure if I bought the DA* it would focus a lot faster than the lens it would be replacing... the A50/1.2
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
focus hunting in low light sorin Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 07-17-2010 02:20 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 AF Wide-angle Low-light Zoom, Worldwide Ship wallyb Sold Items 1 11-11-2009 02:28 PM
Lens Recommendation (prime) - Bokeh, Indoor, Low Light FckShoes Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 12-02-2008 08:06 PM
Low light zoom lens for sharp portraits? dLight Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 08-19-2007 11:47 PM
Prime lens in low light 50mm fevbusch Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 02-06-2007 12:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top