Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #1

Anyone try one of these?

Looking for opinions on this lens.

Sigma - Lenses

I found one at a great price and I am interested in quality, strong/weak points, and general uses for this one.

09-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's reviews here for the non-K-mount version:

FM Reviews - 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks man!
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been eyeballing this lens myself. I assume you checked the popphoto review that is linked on the Sigma product page? I'm about to pull the trigger on the 28mm version.

The fred miranda reviews are interesting, for sure. I especially like the guy who's not happy as the $300 lens is not "pro quality".

09-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Eddie,
I have this lens, I bought it as a solution to 'low light' situations that my Sig 18-125 struggled with.
I am surprised at how often it gets used, in fact it stays permanently on one of the camera bodies ( I have 2 bodies).
The down sides are: it is marginally bigger & heavier than you expect, it will flare in certain situations (well mine does, maybe later versions have improved that)....such as shooting directly in to the sun, so we are talking extreme situations.

Here a two shots taken with it. The Hong Kong shot is taken on the ferry which was pitching and rolling around like a cork, it is precisely this situation I bought it for and couldn't be happier The other is self explanatory.
Both are handheld and camera is DS. Exif is intact.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 12-28-2007 at 03:14 PM.
09-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you! I believe this might be a great addition to my DS. How well does it do portraits?
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not take a lot of portrait type shots, but what I have done looks ok to me...

Do you particularly want 24mm? or a fast lens? If speed was more important I would have a look at the Pentax 50mm, while I haven't seen this lens in the flesh I would think it is in keeping with Pentax's compact light weight build standards....and it gets good reports from members.
09-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
Actually, I was kinda wanting both. Just wondering of it would be redundant having this lens along with the 50mm f1.4 I am getting very soon.

09-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
ycl

I like it!

I just bought one (the Sigma 24mm f/1.8) last week at B & H. Here are my basic thoughts.

Physically, only so-so: it's a good deal larger and heavier than most primes (much larger than, e.g., the A28, FA35, FA50 or FA77), and takes a 77mm filter. It's kind of a whopper on my k100d. And I'm not that confident in the build quality; it doesn't feel that great. I like the feel of my Pentax primes much better.

But I really like it overall -- good job, Sigma! First & foremost, the FOV is great -- wider than the FA35, which I really liked using for awhile, but not too wide. It is an excellent performer (though I've heard about QC issues -- which is why I specifically tested out the lens I was buying at B&H before actually buying it) -- very sharp & contrasty even wide open (which btw reads in my K100d as "1.7"), especially in the center; nice colors. Also bright in the viewfinder (which my weak eyes find necessary, especially at wider FOVs). And very close focus capacity. It's a great indoor lowlight lens.

As for portraits, it can tend to elongate features a bit, especially when you get close (which you often kinda have to given the focal length), but can nonetheless be used very effectively for this purpose, Id think. I've seen many good portraits taken at this focal length.

My copy is not as sharp as the FA35 or FA50, for sure. But it's plenty good enough, and its other advantages makes it a definite keeper for me. Besides, what else are you going to buy at this focal length (with autofocus, and this fast)? The FA*24 only shows up once every few months, and at twice the cost.
09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 20/1.8, 24/1.8 and 30/1.4.

I find the 20/1.8 quite soft wide open. It gets better at f/2.8-4, but what's the point of having a big and fast superwide if it's to be used at f/3.5? I will sell the Sigma and keep my Pentax FA 20/2.8 instead.

The 24/1.8 is the best of the bunch IMHO. It's already sharp wide open and becomes very good at f/5.6-8. 24mm is a very useful focal length on a crop camera and I use this lens a lot for shooting indoors in available light (at parties, inside restaurants, bars, museums, etc.). The only drawback is the bulk but it is not so heavy.

The 30/1.4 is smaller and lighter. It is nice for lowlight portrait shooting, as long as the subject is in the center of the frame, because it has poor edge performance, even when stopped down. There are two main drawbacks:

- the lens exhibits very strong purple fringing in outdoor shooting against the sky or when there are lights or specular reflections in the frame;

- it's a small sensor lens, so it's no good for my Pentax film cameras or my Canon 1DS -- and for an eventual Pentax full frame camera.

Cheers!

Edit: I forgot the macro feature on the Sigma 24/1.8. It's a very handy feature and the bokeh looks great. You can take pictures with the subject touching the front element of the lens (better use an UV filter for protection).

Last edited by Abbazz; 09-11-2007 at 07:46 PM.