Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #1

Looking for advice re: damaged 50mm 1.4 Super-Takumar

My GF's brother didn't realize my Super Tak was a prime lens and he yanked on the depth of field ring thinking it was the focusing ring, until it broke loose. Neither the aperture or focus are affected, so it still takes great pics, but without that depth of field ring properly and securely in place you can't know at a glance what f-stop you're on.

My question is this: Can this be repaired, potentially DIY?

All that really needs to be done is getting the ring fixed in the right position. I'm not even sure how it was fixed there in the first place, to be honest. Other than this loose ring the lens is otherwise in great shape (albeit perhaps a bit yellow from age).

If it can't be fixed I'd like to remove the ring altogether if it's going to be loose, and partly also as an excuse to take this thing apart. Any advice on how I'd do this, if necessary?

Thank you.

Last edited by ADHWJC; 11-02-2010 at 09:59 AM.
10-12-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your best bet is to contact Eric @ pentaxrepairs@aol.com. He is a member of the forum and does great work at a reasonable price. His website is here ---> Home

Tim
10-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

And make sure the BF pays for it. That wasn't broken easily. Any fool should have realized that he was putting too much force into the thing long before it broke.
10-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #4

Don't that ring have 3 or 2 tine screws in it that you can jus tighten?

10-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #5

Also, since you won't need to mess with the focusing mechanism, you can just take that lens apart, there's a guide somewhere online, just gotta google it. But if my memory serves me right, that ring can be secured without taking that lens apart, just like I mentioned, there should be two or three extremely tiny screwes on that ring.
10-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions

"With the focus ring lifted away the next thing to remove is the black ring with the depth-of-field scale on it. This is held by three screws (one visible here in the middle of the photo below)."

So you should be able to fasten it without even taking the lens apart, given that you have the three screws or can find some replacement for them.

Also, what on earth possessed him to think it was a zoom?
10-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
I see the three tiny screws. Not sure I can find a screwdriver that small. I'm also thinking that maybe the screws snapped off and that tightening them would not work regardless. I agree it probably wasn't broken easily, but accidents happen.

In the meantime I'll look for a screwdriver (smaller than eyeglass screwdrivers even) and/or contact Eric. Thanks so much.
10-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
Wow. That was easy. I found a second eyeglass screwdriver small enough to tighten those screws. I'm pretty sure I stripped the screws but they're tight and so is the depth of focus ring. So problem solved.

Curious, though, why is it three clicks total to jump the two stops between f1.4 and 2.8, and also f8 and f16, but it's four clicks to jump between f2.8 and f5.6, or f4 and f8, or f8 and f16?

It looks like for the middle part of the aperture range each click is a half stop, but at the beginning and end of the range it's 2/3 stop between clicks. I've always thought the white dot on my Super Tak was f.1/7 but now I'm thinking it's actually f2.

I guess there is no real question there. Just an observation. Does anyone know why, or if it is like this on all the Super Taks? I've got a Super Takumar and an Super Multi Coated Takumar and they're both the same (although instead of a white dot the Super Multi Coated has f2).

Now that I've (or we've, I should say) fixed the depth of focus ring, it's time to find some tinfoil and a sunny windowsill —*not easy in foggy San Francisco —*to get rid of this yellowing. I didn't realize my lens was yellowed until I bought one from KEH listed in excellent condition that is visibly clearer. I can't see any yellow tint at all on that sucker.

10-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DEWEY Quote
I see the three tiny screws. Not sure I can find a screwdriver that small. I'm also thinking that maybe the screws snapped off and that tightening them would not work regardless. I agree it probably wasn't broken easily, but accidents happen.

In the meantime I'll look for a screwdriver (smaller than eyeglass screwdrivers even) and/or contact Eric. Thanks so much.
Any decent hardware store will have a set of jewlers' screwdrivers that will fit these screws. Got mine at ACE hardware.

I recently removed the DOF ring on my 35mm f/2.0 to see what I could see. My guess is that the screws were loose and allowed him to yank it off. Tighten them down and all should be well in the world.

woof

Last edited by woof; 10-12-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: op found answer