Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #1

Filter Advice for my new K-7 please!

Hey all, I am in the process of purchasing a used K-7 from the market place as my first DSLR. I also got the two WR kit lenses. Now I need to invest in some filters and was hoping for some advice:

I do fly fishing photography and so am often near the surf, sand, and so cannot be convinced that a filter simply for the sake of protection is a waste. I do however understand that it is a waste to buy a cheapo lens because this will degrade photo quality. I am on a budget though and so I want to spend as little as possible without sacrificing image quality.

What is the different between a clear/skylight filter and a clear UV filter? I will want one of these for when the filter will only be for protection, but am not sure the advantages/disadvantages associated with a UV clear filter versus just a clear or skylight clear filter?

I am also going to get a circular polarizer. I was thinking in addition, a neutral density filter could be good for if there was a fair amount of light and I wanted a shot of blurred surf or a blurred river. Also a warming filter sounds like a good idea for shooting here in Washington state where it is often very gray, in order to give my photos some more light. Lastly a macro screw-on is what I think I will round out the arsenal with as I don't have the money yet for a legitimate macro lens. Any flaws in this arsenal? Do I need a clear skylight AND a clear UV?

With the two kit lenses one is 52mm and the other is 49mm, so I am assuming the most versatile/cost-efficient thing to do would be to just get what I want in 52mm, and then get an adapter ring for the 49mm lens so that I don't have to buy twice as many filters? Will this make switching around more difficult or can I just leave the adapter ring attached to the lens at all times and change the filters I attach to it essentially giving me 2 52mm setups?

For companies.....any recommendation for quality without breaking the bank? Hoya? Tiffen?(I understand pentax no longer makes filters) I saw they offer filter kits to save money that give a little offering of filters, but are these of any quality? I understand that multi-coated filters are very important but not sure if these options are or are not. Hoya's site shows pro1D filters as well as "general" filters, I read the Pro1d is grossly over-priced. I also found this on amazon for Hoya though not on their site "Hoya 52mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer, Warming Filter (Intensifier) and Nylon Pouch", and "Tiffen 52mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit".

Recommendations would really be appreciated...Thanks! -Loren Elliott

Last edited by Loren E; 10-11-2010 at 11:25 PM.
10-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Loren.
There will be little appreciable difference between UV filters and clear protectors, but the skylights may have a slight yellow tinge to them.
I don't see a question regarding the CP and ND filters, but they are both handy.
No problems with the macro suggestion - lots here swear by the Raynox variety as the simple screw-on 'macro' filters degrade IQ quite significantly.

I'd just get one 52mm and one 49mm filter for each filter you want for the lenses. You may not want a CP or ND filter for the 50-200 but would find it very useful on the 18-55, for example.

Hoya are fine, as long as they're HMC, and other brands are also fine as long as their from reputable brands like Marumi, B+W and Tiffen, and are multicoated.

Enjoy.
10-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I didn't carefully read your entire post so apologies in advance if I've missed something. The one thing I wanted to address is this. There is a price break point where good filters go from expensive to ridiculous in price. 52mm and 49mm are quite well below that point. While there is something to be said for adapting the 52 to the 49 in terms of short term cost, messing with the adapter rings quickly takes the fun out IMO. That said, are you SURE one of those lenses is 49mm? Every Kit lens I've dealt with (18-55 and 50-200) were both 52mm.

10-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
I wish they were both 52mm, that would make life easier, but I just double-checked on pentax's site and confirmed the DA 50-200 WR lens is 49mm.

Would you mind elaborating on why adapter rings become a pain? I was thinking I could just leave the ring on the lens all the time with a 52mm filter, and then if something happened to one of the filters on the 18-55 I would have a backup, and could easily switch filters between the two lenses....am I missing something here? Can I not effectively make the 49mm lens into a 52 mm lens by just permanently adding an adapter ring for the time being?

Thanks!

10-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I strongly suggest to read the following test on UV filters:
UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

You'll see that filter, low quality filters specially, can ruin your pictures...
When you do not need a filter, take it off and use your lens hood for protection.

- Bert
10-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The problem with leaving the 52mm step up ring on your 50-200 lens you wont be able to fit or remove the standard lens hood.

The 52mm fiter/adaptor will actually fit inside the hood but you will have to fit the hood on first and then screw in the step ring and filter. If you have dainty slender finger this might be OK but a lot of us guys would struggle with it.

With it fitted you cant then get the hood off quickly. lets say, if you wanted to use the fill flash for example.

I know this from experience, using a 52-58mm onto the 18-55 the fiter ring misses the inside of the hood by about 1mm but be damned if i could get the filter thread started arrgh!
10-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
I wish they were both 52mm, that would make life easier, but I just double-checked on pentax's site and confirmed the DA 50-200 WR lens is 49mm.

Would you mind elaborating on why adapter rings become a pain? I was thinking I could just leave the ring on the lens all the time with a 52mm filter, and then if something happened to one of the filters on the 18-55 I would have a backup, and could easily switch filters between the two lenses....am I missing something here? Can I not effectively make the 49mm lens into a 52 mm lens by just permanently adding an adapter ring for the time being?

Thanks!
They get stuck on the filters. Even some filters get stuck on lenses. Here's why. The metal construction is so thin that when you grab hold of it, you slightly deform it. It isn't a permanent situation. It is a Pain, especially with a polarizer which is 2 moving pieces rather than one single filter body.

Never had a WR 50-200 but the regular 50-200 (or at least the original) is a 52mm filter.

10-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, all these comments are true to some degree or another, especially the part about IQ degradation when using filters. That said though, I find filters indispensible for landscape/scenic shots and for special effects. My current fav lenses are 52mm thread, but I have quite a few good 49mm too, so I leave 49-52mm adapters on a few of those and use 52mm filters. And I always use a lens hood, so I buy good 52mm rubber hoods (and 52mm lens caps!) which allow easy adjustment of CPs and ND Grads.
Sometimes I need protection from the elements too and found Kenko Pro1D Protection filters on ebay for reasonable prices. They're very well made and seem to have little or no effect on IQ so far.
I'd much rather carry (and pay for!) and keep track of step up rings than filters for every size lens I use.
And buy a couple sets of filter wrenches for when they get stuck, because they will.

cheers

Last edited by StevenVH; 10-12-2010 at 07:52 AM.