Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Photo examples using SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8?

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a used SMC-A 135mm f2.8 for my K20d (specifically for concert shooting).

I was wondering if anyone has any examples using this lens that they are willing to share? (concerts shots would be great but anything really using this lens).

Thanks!

10-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have any concert photos to share but would be happy to go out and take some night scene shots later on with mine. For now,

A very nice lens IMO but I just haven't done very much with mine.

10-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Jeff,

Thanks - nice shot and lovely dog (love photographing pets dogs especially).

Do you know the settings / EXIF for this shot by any chance? and if you have the time the night shots would be really useful and very kind of you.

Many thanks!
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

He thanks you for the complement.

Usually when I test a lens, which is what that shot is, I do so wide open. The Aperture was f2.8, the shutter speed is 1/800, ISO 100, K7.

Here are a few more from that same day (and it's where I'll post the night shots, probably tomorrow). I also show an example of what happens when you overexpose in the wrong conditions with this (or any other) lens in K7JS3701.jpg. These are all straight from the camera, no computerized post processing, only that of the K7 JPG engine.

Index of /Photos/HelpandStuff/A135f28

10-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Jeff,

Terrific - above and beyond helpful!

Well I think you are definitely swaying me to get this lens - the shoot is on the 22nd so I will probably need to act fast in case it is sold.

Looking forward to seeing the low light shots - thanks again for this!
10-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Here you go. Unlike the others I pointed you to, these are not directly from the camera but are post processed to bring out the best, or fix WB, or other various issues. Issues due to the way I took these. Out the window of an idling car, sometimes sitting at a traffic light. Overall, I'd say they are a pretty good demo of the lens. Taken at ISO 400, K7, exifs are in tact for the rest. I find that at f2.8 in this situation, the lens is slightly soft in some situations. Stopped down one click cleans it up nicely. There are two photos taken with a K135 f2.5 just for grins. You can tell which they are as theyll have mK135f25 after the root name.

Index of /Photos/HelpandStuff/A135f28/NightTime

For night life, that's about the best I'm going to get for now.

10-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
Jeff,

Sold! - I think I am going to get the lens before it's gone.

Many thanks for going to the trouble of doing all that - it really was helpful - I think it will be a good (economical) choice.

Best regards!