Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bought a Couple Old Lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've had my K-x only 5 days and I already have LBA. I bought two lenses for a total of $55 including shipping on ebay.
Pentax A 50mm f2
Vivitar 28mm f2.8
I know the pentax a 50mm f1.7 is supposed to be better than the one I bought, but I decided to buy two lenses for less than the price of one of those.
Did I get good deals? I plan to use the lenses for macro, portraits, night sky, and landscapes.

10-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you did well. The Vivitar 28mm is an "A" lens as well but not the one in the sample listing? The aperture ring functions as it should on your copy?
$55 is not much to worry about either way. Enjoy the lenses.

And welcome to the forum.
10-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well I paid 150 for an A 50mm 1.7 and A 28mm 2.8, so I'd say you got a great deal! Those lenses should do all the things you want, including macro if you buy yourself an extension tube. Please post some pictures!
10-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I think you did well. The Vivitar 28mm is an "A" lens as well but not the one in the sample listing? The aperture ring functions as it should on your copy?
$55 is not much to worry about either way. Enjoy the lenses.

And welcome to the forum.
Thanks. The listing says it's stuck on "a" which is fine for me since that's how I would use it.
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Well I paid 150 for an A 50mm 1.7 and A 28mm 2.8, so I'd say you got a great deal! Those lenses should do all the things you want, including macro if you buy yourself an extension tube. Please post some pictures!
I contacted the seller of the vivitar lens and he says it focuses 5 to 6 inches away. So that's close enough to macro for me.

10-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you looked around the forum's Lens Reviews sections yet for remarks on these two lenses?
Vivitar Lenses for Pentax: Fixed Focal Lengths - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showcat.php?sl=5&cat=28&limit=

I think a few of us still have an A 50mm f2 and they are fun for shots with shallow field of focus. It (the lens) should have favorable contrast and color for many images as well. For me, f2 is nice and I have never really desired anything smaller primarily because of costs. I mean I would enjoy using a 1.7 or 1.4 but their prices are not reasonable to me so I like the thin area of focus of an open f2 just fine.
I have no experience with a Vivitar 28mm. Just a Sears 28mm f2.8 and Makinon 28mm f2.8. And they are both manual aperture so your Vivitar A 28mm might be one you will enjoy using.
10-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #6

I bought a 50 f2 a month after getting my K7. I enjoyed it. If you already have LBA then you will want something faster very soon, however, I think you made the smart buy here and got 2 lenses for a fraction of the cost for a good condition 1.7. My Tokina 28mm gets pretty darn close and is super sharp around f4-5.6 but once you take your first close up shot you'll be drooling for a true macro...trust me.
10-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do I have a faulty lens? I got my pentax a 50mm f2 lens today. It took me a minute to figure out the aperture ring and to set it to "a". Once I figured that out I put the camera in av mode and took a few pictures at f2. It seemed to be working alright. But then I tried other f stops and all it does when I take a picture is close the shutter for around 5 seconds, but it doesn't take a picture. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a faulty lens? It works fine at f2 and f2.2. All the other f stops I tried it won't take a picture.
Kevin

10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Are you using the camera to set aperture, or the aperture ring. Do you have 'aperture ring enabled' set in the camera menu?
10-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Maybe. Go into the settings and turn on the "allow manual aperture" or something of that sort. Put the camera in Manual, and set the aperture using the ring on the lens. Try it at something like f4 and see if there's still a problem. If there is, it could be a sticky aperture. If there isn't, it may just be a contact or something that's dirty or broken.
10-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the lens set to "a" so I was using my K-x to set the aperture.
10-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Are you using the camera to set aperture, or the aperture ring. Do you have 'aperture ring enabled' set in the camera menu?
Pretty sure Aperture Priority wouldn't work at all if he was adjusting with the ring on the lens. He has an A lens, and said he set it to A, so I was assuming he was stopping down on the lens.
10-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just enabled the aperture ring and took a few pictures above f2 and it worked. Now that I look closer at the lens, the aperture stick thing is bent. I can still slide it with my finger, but it is definitely bent. Should I try unbending it with some needlenose plyers or would that damage it more?
10-14-2010, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I just enabled the aperture ring and took a few pictures above f2 and it worked. Now that I look closer at the lens, the aperture stick thing is bent. I can still slide it with my finger, but it is definitely bent. Should I try unbending it with some needlenose plyers or would that damage it more?
Well, you have to determine that for yourself. If it's working in manual just fine, and the Vivtar is working, I'd say you still have some decent toys for $50. However, if you feel you need the auto-aperture, and think it's fixable, then go for it.
10-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The main reason I bought these two particular lenses was because they both had auto aperture. I had a feeling there was a reason this lens was only $30, but the seller said nothing about this problem. Anyway thanks for your help. I think I'll give it a try gently unbending it.
10-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually just now I unbent it a little with my finger. It works now. I guess this wasn't as big a problem as I thought. Now I just need to take some test pictures to find out how sharp this lens is.