Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The DA21 is my favorite lens. I have only three complaints.
1) Not full frame
2) Not f2.0
3) Not silky smooth focus
1)No issue for me, there's no FF Pentax camera, and I wouldn't buy one if there was one.

2)True, but it would be much larger then.

3)Uh? I never actually have to focus manually, but when I try it for fun, the focus ring is amazingly smooth.

10-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #17

I did something similar too. Sold the Sigma 10-20 F3.5 for the DA15, mainly due to the size and bulk of the Sigma. Now the DA15 is almost always with me. No regrets.
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

bdery,
Have you ever tried a manual focus lens? I own two and tried another. The point is not to move so easy that the moment you let go it keeps moving. What the da21 has is loose focus not smooth. What I'd like is manual feel with AF and limited quality
10-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

To answer the second part of your question. Even with no FF body a FF lens has the advantage of less vignette and flare if made for digital so no bad things like internal reflextions. If that were not the case, I'd just get the fa31 with a Canon FF body.

10-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I've been tempted to sell my 10-20 sigma and get a DA15 but can't decide if that extra 5mm will kill me. I think it will as I like wide interior shots.
I did this. Walk around for a week with the 10-20mm and force yourself to shoot at 15mm. You might find that 15 is wide enough. Or not... but you'll know one way or the other.

My kit is: DA 15mm, F 28mm, F 50mm f/1.7

Next up... FA35mm and DA70mm. Probably the FA35 first. I realize that F28/FA35 is a little redundant, but I also shoot film so this bit of overlap is useful.
10-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HUYSTA Quote
Looking back at the store that I bought this camera from @ f/5.6
Greetings from another Melbournian and fellow DA21 owner. I bought my DA21 from the store about 30 meters out of the frame to the right (JB-Hifi Cameras) only a couple of months ago. Interesting you got yours from (I presume) Ted's, I've found they tend to stock very few Pentax lenses and even actively tried to stear me away from Pentax a year ago as I was K-x shopping. That put me off going back, and instead I've bought my 3 limiteds from other stores.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours, I've been surprised how much I use mine, probably more now than my DA70 & DA40, I find the focal length is very very useful. I really like your pics from around docklands I went there a month ago or so armed with my DA21 & tripod and took a few night time photos, it's a great location.
11-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Twitch. Very impressive photos collection that you have there. I actually bought mine at JB camera as well, didn't realise it was out of the frame. Apart from Pentax stock issues at Teds, I find they're really hard to negotiate which also have put me off with them.

11-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Huysta,
I really liked a coupla of your photos, esp the sailboat.

I have the DA21 from 2 years ago and only recently started using it more frequently. I've taken some excellent indoor HDR pics with it and also used it for candid street photos. I find for the street photos, i can aim it roughly from waist level or chest and capture the scene because of its width. I leave it on auto Focus and find that its fast with ordinary daylight.

That lens has a lot to like about it.
11-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I almost bought a DA 21, but for about the same money I after trying the Sigma 10-20 there was just no way I could limit myself to 21mm. I have a DA15 as well but I still shoot a lot more with the 10-20. Repeat after me.... FOCAL LENGTH, FOCAL LENGTH, FOCAL LENGTH! There no substitute for focal length.
11-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome Huysta. I got my Da21 from the store 30 mts to the right of your photo- Michaels.

Our North American friends will be jealous that we have 3 stores within a stones throw from each other that all stock Pentax gear, even if they don't try as actively to sell it as they do the Canikons, and of course there are many other stores nearby that trio that also stock Pentax.

You have used the lens to great effect. I like the yacht pic and that one of the wharf at Cowes (you get around, don't you?)

Wayne
11-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Hi and welcome Huysta. I got my Da21 from the store 30 mts to the right of your photo- Michaels.

Our North American friends will be jealous that we have 3 stores within a stones throw from each other that all stock Pentax gear, even if they don't try as actively to sell it as they do the Canikons, and of course there are many other stores nearby that trio that also stock Pentax.

Wayne
Add to that "Camera house" which is about 20 meters past Teds has a pretty good selection of Pentax lenses too. Michaels is a great store, very helpful service, just hard sometimes to get a good price out of them though. I love going upstairs and browsing through their books section occasionally. There and "Readers Feast" seem to have the best photography book sections I've found.