Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sold Pentax DA 12-24mm To Get 21mm Limited

Maybe I'm going in an opposite direction here but recently I've sold the best zoom lens that I ever had to get a Pentax DA 21mm Limited. Why?

Because I wanted something that is smaller and easier to carry in my bag. When I first bought the DA 12-24mm, size is something I least given much thought about. Image quality is my highest priority and the 12-24mm doesn't disapoint. But then, once the novelty wears off I start to find myself too lazy to carry it with me. That's when I see no point in owning a lense that doesn't quite work for me.

So I decided to look at the 21mm more seriously and take the plunge. In theory, the 21mm should be wide enough for landscape, if I need any wider then I still can take panos with it, small enough for not having an excuse to leave it at home and at a focal length that is good enough to use as a walk around lens. Well, here is the first snapshot I took with this lense on the day that I bought it at Elizabeth St here in Melbourne and a few other down the road on the same day. So far I'm quite happy with the lens. BTW this is my first post, so hope someone in a similar situation may find it useful if they ever consider the 21mm.

Looking back at the store that I bought this camera from @ f/5.6

@ f/3.5

@ f/3.2

Harbour Town @f/6.7

Docklands @ f/13

Docklands @f/9.5

Last edited by HUYSTA; 10-13-2010 at 03:00 AM.
10-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you'd be fine as long as you're not shooting close corner shots or need shooting the sides of the entire scene. this can be problematic if you are capturing the scene with people on it or action along with it, thereby eliminating any chance of doing a panoramic shot. being walk-around is a bit wide for my taste of such lens. for me, something around 30mm-43mm would me more ideal.

for me, the DA21 is a pretty tricky focal length to stand alone on it's own.
10-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry, I'm still a noob at this. Wasn't quite sure on how to insert picture before

Looking back at the store that I bought this camera from @ f/5.6

@ f/3.5

@ f/3.2

Harbour Town @f/6.7

Docklands @ f/13

Docklands @f/9.5
10-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Very dynamic compositions, I like those shots a lot! The colours on the last boat picture are strange, it almost looks scanned.

I think you did your homework well, and you'll be happy with the 21. It's a great lens in its own right, like the 12-24. Each person has different needs and ways to use the gear, and you seem to have selected a lens that fits your needs.

Happy shooting.

10-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Da15?

Did you consider DA15mm given you actually have an ultrawide.

I am tempted by the DA21 also but like a lot of people my three lens setup is:
DA15
DA40 or F28
DA70
10-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Banned

Well the 21 is a nice lens that I use very often. Also have the 40mm and they fit in a small space. I would love to have somthing in between and small, so also Limited series. 28mm or 30mm.
10-13-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm going a similar route with 15, 21, 40, and 70.

10-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am slightly different with 15, 35Macro and F50 f1.7
10-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have consider the DA15, howerver with a limited budget that i had, I have to compromise somewhere - hopefully just for temporarily as I still love to get the DA 15mm when I have more $$. The 21mm seem to fit the bill for me in the meantime as it is not too wide for general walk around stuff and not too close that it would restrict me from taking peoples photo and if a wider field of view is needed, maybe 2 or 3 panos should hopefully fill that gap (I still have yet to try, but I'm sure nothing is impossible).
10-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I am slightly different with 15, 35Macro and F50 f1.7
That is a really nice setup. I would of go with a 15 + 35 Macro combo like you if I did not purchase the 21mm as an "all rounder". I ended up getting the 35 macro + 40 as well because I couldn't resist taking advantage of the $AU rise. But I have to save it for another post on that 2 lens

@ bdery
Thank you.
10-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been tempted to sell my 10-20 sigma and get a DA15 but can't decide if that extra 5mm will kill me. I think it will as I like wide interior shots.
10-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Huysta... what are your other lenses right now? You made an interesting choice but given your budget and other stated reasons, all I can say is I like the images you submitted and as long as you're happy, fantastic! There is no right or wrong - only what works.

And if you find that you are pleased with the DA21, I can see a DA40 and DA70 in your future. I plan to begin collecting the DA Limited primes (perhaps starting at Christmas). I'm kind of torn on where to start: the 15, 35 and 70 and add the 21 and 40 later? Or the 15, 40 and 70 and add the others later? Or the 35 and add the others later? Just thinking aloud. They're all fantastic lenses.
10-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Huysta... what are your other lenses right now? You made an interesting choice but given your budget and other stated reasons, all I can say is I like the images you submitted and as long as you're happy, fantastic! There is no right or wrong - only what works.

And if you find that you are pleased with the DA21, I can see a DA40 and DA70 in your future. I plan to begin collecting the DA Limited primes (perhaps starting at Christmas). I'm kind of torn on where to start: the 15, 35 and 70 and add the 21 and 40 later? Or the 15, 40 and 70 and add the others later? Or the 35 and add the others later? Just thinking aloud. They're all fantastic lenses.
Currently I have the DA 21, 35, 40 and all of the FA Limiteds plus a Tamron Di 90mm Macro. I was just basically searching for a lens that does everything that I need without the size penalty a few weeks ago. I'm starting to get lazy to carry my stuff around, don't want to change lens on the camera all the time while at the same time I want sharp, contrastry image. Probably a lot to ask So Why did I get the DA when I already have the FA? Well the FA Limited is a very special lens to me, it's the reason why I move to Pentax in the first place. It's the type of lens hopefully in the future I can pass it onto my kids. So for now, the FA Limited is more of a collectable thing for me sitting in a very safe place at home. So why why did I get the DA Limited? The DA Limited can be my workhorse lens because of good size, good image quality and fulfil my search for an all rounder.

DA 15mm - Maybe I'll get this later. Not a priority for me as yet because I don't know if I have to change lens all the time if I got this lens on my camera, I'll probably use it for mainly landscape, interior and for dramatic shot otherwise I'm going have to take it off for general everyday stuff.

DA 21mm - Good all rounder, size. Render beautifully when is at the right moment/lighting condition (hard to describe). To be honest, shortly I got this lens I've been spoil with the DA 35 Macro & DA 40.

DA 35mm Macro - Some people think this is the best lens in the world. Couldn't resist the temptation to see it for myself. And yes, it is very very good, best lens in the world? I'll wait until the day I can try out the entire lens in the world then I'll give my verdict. This lens could be my all rounder and will be sitting on my camera more often than any other lens now. So far it just seems to do everything that I need to, from "excellent to surprisingly excellent" in term of image quality. It's just sharp and contrasty which I really like straight from camera without tinkering with lightroom too much.

DA 40mm - I had to get this lens because of various photos that I see in this forum which are very nice indeed. Of course, price and size of this lens is a major contributing factor. Also definitely this lens will come in handy when I need a low profile.

DA 70mm - I would seriously get this lens + DA 35 if I haven't got the FA 77mm or use this focal length more often than I should.

Hypothetically, if I can only keep 1 lens and only just 1 lens in the DA I would be in a lot of pain and then probably choose the DA 35, it’s just so versatile for me at the moment.

A picture says 1000 words:

DA 35mm Limited Macro

Melbourne tulip festival

Melbourne tulip festival

Looking through underneath the pier at Cowes-Phillip Island
10-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HUYSTA Quote
Maybe I'm going in an opposite direction here but recently I've sold the best zoom lens that I ever had to get a Pentax DA 21mm Limited. Why?

Because I wanted something that is smaller and easier to carry in my bag. When I first bought the DA 12-24mm, size is something I least given much thought about. Image quality is my highest priority and the 12-24mm doesn't disapoint. But then, once the novelty wears off I start to find myself too lazy to carry it with me. That's when I see no point in owning a lense that doesn't quite work for me.

So I decided to look at the 21mm more seriously and take the plunge. In theory, the 21mm should be wide enough for landscape, if I need any wider then I still can take panos with it, small enough for not having an excuse to leave it at home and at a focal length that is good enough to use as a walk around lens. Well, here is the first snapshot I took with this lense on the day that I bought it at Elizabeth St here in Melbourne and a few other down the road on the same day. So far I'm quite happy with the lens. BTW this is my first post, so hope someone in a similar situation may find it useful if they ever consider the 21mm.
Interesting because when I had my Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 I found I sot most at around 10mm-12mm and 15-16mm and rarely went over 16mm. because of that if I ever go that way again it will be a Sigma 8-16mm and probably a DA 15mm. Funny how everyone's eye is so different...of course I would need to sell part of a lung, a lobe of my liver and perhaps a kidney of I want a K-5 at the same time...good thing these camera bits are easy to find in Asia where selling of such body parts is a tad less taboo... Of course the camera gear costs more so maybe best to sell parts there and buy gear here in the US?
10-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The DA21 is my favorite lens. I have only three complaints.
1) Not full frame
2) Not f2.0
3) Not silky smooth focus
All three are solved with the manual focus Zuiko 21mm f2.0. I'm so tempted to shell out the money for a leitax adapted one and sell my da21