Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Req: Advice on unfamiliar K mount 50/1.7 MF.

IF you own, or have first hand experience with this HorusBennu Brand Lens below I would very much appreciate you sharing your appraisal of it.
HorusBennu 50mm f/1.7 Lens for Pentax Smasung NEW - eBay, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (end time 16-Oct-10 14:58:48 AEDST)

It looks like it has the goods that I need, and at the right all-up delivered price, Fwiw; mostly for general macro work so MF is NP there, plus appears to have a 'real' diaphragm ring and the advt says "adjustment possible in 1/2 stops" ?? which I don't understand how that might work but would be bloody lovely if it does.

Anyhow, I'm a bit hesitant to buy blind, so would love to hear first from others who are familiar with it, or perhaps with another brand-label it may be sold under.

But item must be brand new and, for a similar all-up delivered-to-me cost.

And no thanks, I'm not looking for second hand alternate suggestions, or non-owner/experience "opinions" of it. (can easily think up enough of those myself

TIA.

.R.

10-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Raylon

Google is your friend:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/88237-new-ebay...f1-7-lens.html

Also IMO that is waaaay overpriced when you can get a Sears 50mm 1.7 for under $30.
10-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Google is your friend:
Gasp! Thank you. I completely forget to Giggle it.

.R.
10-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
IF you own, or have first hand experience with this HorusBennu Brand Lens below I would very much appreciate you sharing your appraisal of it.
HorusBennu 50mm f/1.7 Lens for Pentax Smasung NEW - eBay, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (end time 16-Oct-10 14:58:48 AEDST)

It looks like it has the goods that I need, and at the right all-up delivered price, Fwiw; mostly for general macro work so MF is NP there, plus appears to have a 'real' diaphragm ring and the advt says "adjustment possible in 1/2 stops" ?? which I don't understand how that might work but would be bloody lovely if it does.

Anyhow, I'm a bit hesitant to buy blind, so would love to hear first from others who are familiar with it, or perhaps with another brand-label it may be sold under.

But item must be brand new and, for a similar all-up delivered-to-me cost.

And no thanks, I'm not looking for second hand alternate suggestions, or non-owner/experience "opinions" of it. (can easily think up enough of those myself

TIA.

.R.
Take a walk on the wild side and buy it and try it. Then tell us what You think of it.

10-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Adjustment in half-stops is common to real aperture rings, actually: it's just a mechanical ring with detents every half-stop. Basically, that's a pretty standard old third party design: nothing special or particularly macro about it.

That thread Raylon posted has some stuff from people who've bought them.
10-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

For about the same price, maybe a little less, you can get an old genuine Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm, f/1.4, which is probably optically superior and a half stop faster.

Add an M42-K adapter and you're set. Plus, with a screw mount lens, you can use Av mode. With a non-A k-mount lens, you can't use Av.

For a third of the price, you can get a Super Takumar 55mm, f/1.8. Again, its probably optically superior and lets you use Av mode.

YMMV.
10-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Adjustment in half-stops is common to real aperture rings, actually: it's just a mechanical ring with detents every half-stop. Basically, that's a pretty standard old third party design: nothing special or particularly macro about it.

That thread Raylon posted has some stuff from people who've bought them.
Excellent info. Sounds great, I've never seen one capable of that, just thought the finer aperture adjustment resolution might be handy sometimes for stopping down - more akin to what a digital camera can do (except electro-mechanically).

Yes, I've now read some of it and looks like it might not be a real dog and quite OK for the price.
Where I come from (.Au) restricts my expenses options for many overseas purchases considerably, so what many of you might think is poor value can only ever rightly apply to the context of your own circumstances.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-13-2010 at 07:55 AM.
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
For about the same price, maybe a little less, you can get an old genuine Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm, f/1.4, which is probably optically superior and a half stop faster.

Add an M42-K adapter and you're set. Plus, with a screw mount lens, you can use Av mode. With a non-A k-mount lens, you can't use Av.

For a third of the price, you can get a Super Takumar 55mm, f/1.8. Again, its probably optically superior and lets you use Av mode.

YMMV.
Or how about a Pentax-M 50/1.7? No plastic, no corny "*", and excellent performance/build. Should be available for about $40 USD in Ex+ condition.

My take on the original Horrus Benu thread is that it was spam by the importer posting under a couple of different accounts. Everybody was being very polite to these new users gushing about their wonderful new lens, but to be honest, I was not overly impressed with the sample pictures that were posted.

From all appearances, this lens is a Phenix product out of China. They make reasonable quality stuff, but hardly top shelf.

Steve

BTW...New vs. used is not always your best option. This is particularly true in regards to off-brand lenses.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-13-2010 at 10:00 AM.
10-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote

Simply the fact that it is a "Limited Star" lens should be enough to convince anyone that it is truly a super-duper-astronomically great lens!!
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or how about a Pentax-M 50/1.7? No plastic, no corny "*", and excellent performance/build. Should be available for about $40 USD in Ex+ condition.
Or the SMC-A 50mm, f/2? These sell on eBay for next to nothing, have the traditional Pentax build quality and give you everthing except auto-focus. Its only a half stop slower.
10-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Simply the fact that it is a "Limited Star" lens should be enough to convince anyone that it is truly a super-duper-astronomically great lens!!
Too true Jim. It was the actually the colours of the printed artwork that drew me in, those stark red and green hues against the pitch black would match my bathroom curtains perfectly.

And of course the deep knurling of the rings, that convinced me that the designers went all out in their purpose, there's nothing better than fondling the knobbly bits of a good knurl...

Edit: I forgot to thank the tireless worker in the Senate of Moderation who graciously moved this topic that I had ignorantly opened in the wrong forum to its logical place.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-13-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added Cred to Mod.