Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens / Camera Calibration

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure which area to post my thread so if this is the wrong place I appologise in advance.

I have a K20D with a Pentax *da 50-135 2.8 and a Tamron 17-55 2.8 lenses. Everytime I shoot it seems as though my lenses keep focusing on the wrong area even though the camera says I'm spot on. I'm wondering if this could be a calibration issue or if anyone else is experiencing this with the 20D. I'm just frustrated having all of my photos being sharp in the wrong place.

10-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Obvious question is are you sure you are focusing on what you Think you are? If you aren't using it, set your AF to Center Spot and see if that changes anything.

10-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say some controlled test are needed to figure out the problem. It could be that the K20's AF system thinks you are focusing on something else (in that case then do what Jeff suggested, switch to AF Center Spot and shoot something), it could be that you need to do an AF adjustment, etc.... I suggest you start with a controlled test and work you way from there.
10-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Since the K20D has lens adjustment built in, if your shots are consistantly back-focused or front-focused, go to the lens adjustment in the menu and change the current value of zero (0) to -8 or +8 and reshoot a couple test shots. Pick a target that is small and has details on it like an SD card or a page of newspaper with some large print. Shoot at a 45 deg angle or sharper, lens aperture wide open. A tripod is best but ANY repeatable method can work to get you started. If changing the camera adjustment value does not consistantly move the focus then the problem is likely technique. If it DOES move the focus then just use trial and error to get it where you want. Generally, focus that covers 1/3 in front of the focus point and 2/3 behind is a great start. You can download focus charts with measurements, lines and such but once you get a feel for how to do this then any small object on a flat plane can work, especially if the flat surface has no detail the camera can focus on, then it has to find the object or nothing.

10-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a look at the following: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog Jeffrey’s Autofocus Test Chart
Then calibrate the camera for your lenses.
Repeat this procedure every 6 - 12 months.

Success, Bert
10-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not seeing anything under the menu section regarding "Lens Adjustment".
10-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I'm not seeing anything under the menu section regarding "Lens Adjustment".
Menu Button ---> Custom Settings --> AF Adjustment

First turn AF Adjustment "On", then you can set the values.

10-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found it. Thanks for the help.