They won't but they should. 1451.85%
They won't because SDM has no problems. 518.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Will Pentax Release DA* II lenses with DC motor instead of SDM

If the DC motor proves to be more reliable should they or would they release an update to these lenses or would they continue with the current design out of pride and denial of SDM problems?

10-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As much discussion as has been posted it always seems to be with the 2 zooms. Not sure changing the da*300 or da*200 buys anything unless its cheaper to make them all DC instead of some.
10-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I voted yes they will... but perhaps this isn't even the right question. None of us has any idea what Pentax will do. But the mere fact that the DC motor exists on the new DA 18-135 gives one hope. So far, the SDM hasn't acted up on my DA* 16-50 and 50-135. But if Pentax replaces SDM with the DC motor, I pray they'll offer owners of SDM lenses a special trade-in deal.
10-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wishful thinking. If Pentax to date deny that there are any problems with their current SDM lenses, what's to improve?
I personally don't care whether DC replaces SDM or not, but do care about DA* lens performance, speed and durability. Fix those things and this issue will suddenly become less important.

10-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
maybe they have actually been secretly been replacing the SDM motor with a version of the DC motor for a while now, you know when the SDM finally fails and the lense is sent in for repair. So many SDM lenses are actually using a version of the same DC drive setup? Just WAG, fear and loathing over SDM in general because I have nothing else to live for.
10-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
maybe they have actually been secretly been replacing the SDM motor with a version of the DC motor for a while now, you know when the SDM finally fails and the lense is sent in for repair. So many SDM lenses are actually using a version of the same DC drive setup? Just WAG, fear and loathing over SDM in general because I have nothing else to live for.
I think this is entirely possible. Since Pentax never admitted there was a problem with these lenses, they could never have claimed to have fixed the problem that wasn't there.
10-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
As much discussion as has been posted it always seems to be with the 2 zooms.
16-50 and 50-135 are the two I had in mind. The issues with these two give the rest of the DA* line a black eye.

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
But if Pentax replaces SDM with the DC motor, I pray they'll offer owners of SDM lenses a special trade-in deal.
Either an official recall or a silent recall where they repair SDM lenses with DC motors.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Wishful thinking. If Pentax to date deny that there are any problems with their current SDM lenses, what's to improve?
This is the most vexing part about the SDM ordeal.