Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Returning Tamron 17-50mm

I bought the Tamron 17-50mm lens to replace my 18-55mm kit lens but it has the classic front focus problem. Many pictures have the subject blurry with closer objects in focus. I ran a few of the focus tests and it front focuses most of the time.

I would like to get it repaired because it takes great pictures when focused. I bought it from Prodigital2000 on ebay and they have referred to Mack warranty for service. Since I bought the lens from Canada and I am in the states should I use the Tamron Canadian warranty, try to get Tamron USA to service it or go with the Mack warranty. Thanks for any input.

10-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I got one with the same issue from prodigital (and another one from a US store). My advice to you is: return it to the store! The US repair center isn't going to work with the Canadian warranty. If you can't return it to prodigital any more, ship it to them, and they'll send it to Pentax Canada to fix it. I've heard mixed stories about the Mack warranty.
10-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #3

I suspect Prodigital2000 only has Mack International Warranty in lieu of the Tamron warranty. Although the photo of Tamron lens has the caption "Tamron Authorized Dealer", this was not mentioned anywhere else. Otherwise why would Prodigital2000 offers 7 years Mack Warranty when Tamron has 6 years warranty in Canada? For those reasons, I suspect Prodigital2000 sells grey market products. I'm not sure you can return the item as there is no store address. If that is the case then Mack Warranty is your only resort.

Peter

I hope that I'm wrong.

Last edited by Doanh; 10-13-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
I suspect Prodigital2000 only has Mack International Warranty in lieu of the Tamron warranty. Although the photo of Tamron lens has the caption "Tamron Authorized Dealer", this was not mentioned anywhere else. Otherwise why would Prodigital2000 offers 7 years Mack Warranty when Tamron has 6 years warranty in Canada? For those reasons, I suspect Prodigital2000 sells grey market products. I'm not sure you can return the item as there is no store address. If that is the case then Mack Warranty is your only resort.

Peter

I hope that I'm wrong.

I had no problems returning the Tamron 17-50mm I had bought from them. The lenses they sell come with Mack warranty in addition to the 6 year Tamron-Canada warranty.

10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have contacted Amplis Photo, a certified Tamron repair center, and Mack Camera about getting the lens front focus problem repaired. They both seem confident they can fix it. So who should I send it to? Thanks for any input.