Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Dave, that's one beast you've got there! I'm sure you'll put that glass to good use. Looking forward to your pictures.

09-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Dave. PM sent but I think you got the right attitude about price.
You sure are making my getting this lens more difficult - I WANT one but I don't live in as beautiful part of the country as you do and therefor wildlife not that available.

PLEASE talk me out of it guyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
jc
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Sorry JC. You really do want that lens. It’s a keeper.
09-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second Chako's opinion. Sorry to add to your pent up LBA but even for other subjects this is an excellent lens, particularly for the wide focal ranges it covers. Get yourself a good 18-50 and you have everything covered.

09-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Thanks for the info Dave. PM sent but I think you got the right attitude about price.
You sure are making my getting this lens more difficult - I WANT one but I don't live in as beautiful part of the country as you do and therefor wildlife not that available.

PLEASE talk me out of it guyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
jc
JC: You should get one. You can even drive to Camera Canada (aka Forest City Image Centre) to get it. It's located in downtown London Ontario.

And you can't say you don't live in a beautiful part of the country that doesn't have wildlife. Windsor is not more than 45 minutes away from one of the best birding locations in Canada, Point Pelee National Park! The Sigma XX-500 is perfect for this park. The landscape possibilities are also superb.

Kingsville is certainly a picturesque little village, too. I remember stopping off at a roadside fruitstand there buying fresh fruit & vegetables that were picked the same morning. Unbelievable how much food $20 bought.
09-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
JC: You should get one. You can even drive to Camera Canada (aka Forest City Image Centre) to get it. It's located in downtown London Ontario.

And you can't say you don't live in a beautiful part of the country that doesn't have wildlife. Windsor is not more than 45 minutes away from one of the best birding locations in Canada, Point Pelee National Park! The Sigma XX-500 is perfect for this park. The landscape possibilities are also superb.

Kingsville is certainly a picturesque little village, too. I remember stopping off at a roadside fruitstand there buying fresh fruit & vegetables that were picked the same morning. Unbelievable how much food $20 bought.
I would have to agree in remarks of Point Pelee and birding as well as during the Monarch migration. Actually even closer is Ojibway. Wildlife which I was alluding to was deer etc. Beauty is in the eye of the viewer. The flatlands and pollution of this area says nothing I'm afraid.

This is the lens right? Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras

Now, you're were asked to talk me out of it NOT encourage me - ANYONE?

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to jach your thread.
09-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #22

Sunny and warm today Dave. No excuses, we want pictures!

jealous Chris
09-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I would have to agree in remarks of Point Pelee and birding as well as during the Monarch migration. Actually even closer is Ojibway. Wildlife which I was alluding to was deer etc. Beauty is in the eye of the viewer. The flatlands and pollution of this area says nothing I'm afraid.

This is the lens right? Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras

Now, you're were asked to talk me out of it NOT encourage me - ANYONE?

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to jach your thread.
Thats the beast indeed - $15.00 delivered - I would call them make sure their supplier has it in stock - otherwise it can be 2 - 8 weeks. As for your area - there is beauty everywhere - you are right accross from Detroit right ? Nice Birdge and night shots . If you are sports fan the Tigers and Lions , Ontario has some great scenary I am 3-4 hours from the Rockies so that scenary is a day Trip.

I wanted this lens originally to catch my Son’s action in football (HS) and now he has decided not to play. He is taking up boxing instead so maybe some close up of bloody noses and squashed faces coming soon! However I am sure there will be many uses for it - I plan on taking it to Vegas and Mexico and in the summer we head to the Okanogan every July long weekend and I will make more of an effort to get the Rockies now !

No worries on the Highjacking - I am pretty sure I started this way on some other Bigma's users thread with the little hints and questions .... it was only a matter of time

Good Luck

09-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Sunny and warm today Dave. No excuses, we want pictures!

jealous Chris
I hear that Chris - I have to take my Son out to see if wants to Box (first night is free ) Hopefully I will have a couple of hours in Edmonton to snap a few. Unfortunately they won't be very interesting (might get lucky) . If the work schedule allows it may take a day trip this weekend somewhere ... I am chomping at the bit - pictures of my neighbors, neighbors, neighbors next door neighbors backyard and the license plate 300 meters away while impressive are getting old
09-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What does that lens go for in your neck of the woods ?
AU$1,435-1,648, US$1,206-1,386. Our dollar has strengthened a lot recently.
09-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
AU$1,435-1,648, US$1,206-1,386. Our dollar has strengthened a lot recently.
Thanks - Cdn and USD are pretty close now so that is pretty much right on what I paid.
09-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Importing from the US is still not viable most times. The shipping charges and customs fees 9they do hit you well above the GST/PST charges) make it a small bit cheaper but enough to offset warranty and return concerns.
09-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #28
Inactive Account

That lens + a BushHawk shoulder mount = the perfect birding outfit.

Add one of these to the mix, and you should be able to even get the fastest little fellows in flight once you sight in. I only got the opportunity to try the Red dot sight once this summer. It works fantastic. Just don’t go around airports…or if you do, just notify them first.

Kwik Aim Products

Here are a few examples from the above rig. This tern was flying really fast. I placed the red dot on the target and shot away on single AF mode without looking in the viewfinder. I only had time for 3 shots before he was gone.

Last edited by Chako; 09-14-2007 at 08:17 PM.
09-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
That lens + a BushHawk shoulder mount = the perfect birding outfit.

Add one of these to the mix, and you should be able to even get the fastest little fellows in flight once you sight in. I only got the opportunity to try the Red dot sight once this summer. It works fantastic. Just don’t go around airports…or if you do, just notify them first.

Kwik Aim Products

Here are a few examples from the above rig. This tern was flying really fast. I placed the red dot on the target and shot away on single AF mode without looking in the viewfinder. I only had time for 3 shots before he was gone.
OMG Chako - I was carrying the Bigma around today and was trying to think of what I could use aside from the neck strap or my hands. That is one impressive looking rig and some nice shots. If you don't mind my asking what did that set ya back ?
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I bought the 320deluxe Pro kit. That was 299 US + shipping and handling.

Here is their web site:

BushHawk® Products

The Kwik Aim red dot site wasn't that expensive. It is around 35 US + shipping and handling for their Max version.

Its not a substitute for a tripod, although with some practice you can steady your camera very easily. It’s just like shooting a rifle. I modified mine a little. You see those strap mounts on the bottom. Well if you used those as designed, your camera would be hanging upside down. What I did was buy one gun strap mount (nut and bolt type). I inserted this on the front grip (there are several holes already there). I then flipped the shoulder stock so that the strap mount is now located above. This allows me to carry it at the ready position. I have found that if you use a long enough strap, you can place the strap over your head and across the shoulders. No worry of it falling, and it’s very easy to control. You can also use that strap as a third point for stability during use. Not to mention it distributes the weight of your rig, making it a pleasure to lug around.

Last edited by Chako; 09-14-2007 at 09:56 PM.