Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM v Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]

What is the difference between these two lenses? The ratings here are similar. The Tamaron has the smaller filter and it is IF. It costs $414 versus the Sigma's $669 price tag.

Also what is the difference (IQ-wise) between those lenses and the Pentax 18-55 oldest version.

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] AF016P-700 -

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM f/PENTAX 583109 - B&H Photo

10-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
From what I have read if you want wide open and midrange sharpness the sigma is best, the tamron is best at tele sharp but not as good as the pentax or sigma in the rest of the range. All 3 are nearly prime-sharp though. The tamron is said to add a bit of a color cast to the image but it could easily be adjusted out with a custom color setting on the camera.

If you are interested in the sigma, the one you want is the 18-50 MACRO EX DC, the HSM is a totally different lens and not as highly rated. See Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO (AF Lens) Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database)

There is a fantastic shootout of these 3 lenses right here Google ½Ķ
10-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe he is referring to the new constant aperture hsm sigma released sometime this year.

Comparisons with the old one are welcome if anyone has it. Also, comments on bokeh are quite welcome: I've heard polarized opinions in both directions on the Sigma's bokeh compared to the Tamron.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-13-2010 at 06:19 PM.
10-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am referring to the new one. I put B&H links in my first post.

Bokeh would be nice to know.

The difference in price of $255 is a lot of money. I could use that to buy two Pentax primes (like the 21mm and the 70mm lenses) with the zoom instead of one prime with the zoom.

10-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tentacles Quote
There is a fantastic shootout of these 3 lenses right here Google ½Ķ
Those are great shots of Slovenia!

BTW what does "The sole is not attached bags" from that article mean?
10-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
What is the difference between these two lenses? The Tamron has the smaller filter and it is IF.
For the extra money, you do get OS and HSM in the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8. The in-lens OS isn't overly relevant as all Pentax dSLR bodies have in-built SR, however, the HSM means that the focusing on the Sigma is fast and almost silent. I believe that the Tamron on the other hand, is screw driven. The Sigma is also IF (internal focusing), i.e. the length of the lens does not change when focusing. Note that I do own the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8, and some of my thoughts are here, and another forum member who also has the lens has posted their thoughts in this thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by tentacles Quote
If you are interested in the sigma, the one you want is the 18-50 MACRO EX DC, the HSM is a totally different lens and not as highly rated. See Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO (AF Lens) Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database)
Funny that, because someone else says that the newer version is the best one? Ah, the internets.
QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
The 18-50's were a good lens but from what I have read & images I have seen, the 17-50, which is the newest version, is the pick of the bunch. It has improved lens elements and coatings and produces better images.
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I happen to own the Sigma, just purchased, (Canon mount--T2i) and have owned the Tammy (actually two, Canon Xsi and Pentax K-r mounts)

The Tammy is a sharp lens, its many reviews laud its optical bang for the buck (given a good copy). I went back to Canon and was torn when shopping for a f2.8 zoom, ultimately opting for the Sigma after much back and forth. That said, I have been nothing short of stunned by my images from my Sigma. HSM, OS, better build...I felt it was worth the extra $$. FTM would have been nice, but I can live without it....

Pentax users have to consider the fact that the in body IS may tilt that decision a bit, but I think the Sigma's in-lens OS may be a stop or so better than the Pentax in body SR. No empirical data, just my observation, plus I've seen similar statements to the same.

Also- interestingly, i recently did a side by side shot comparison of my Sigma 17-50 and my Tamron 28-75 (which is optically similar to the 17-50); same shots, camera body, lighting, FL, AV, etc... I was surprised to find the Sigma rendered colors better, had more "pop", (and was quite sharp even at f2.8!!!) I was quite surprised.

LOL, in the Canon world, the long-revered icon, the 17-55 f/2.8 IS is feeling the pinch (and rightfully so, priced ridiculously at $1100 plus) and you'll notice, at least in Canon mounts, the Sigma is oddly out of stock

Really, you cant go wrong either way. remember, end of day, its the photographer and technique...you can get fantastic images out of either piece of glass. Good Luck!!