Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hey thanks for the thoughtful response. So you use an all manual lens for your portrait/outdoors work. Do you find it easy enough?

I found an SMC M 100 f4 macro online for200, but I bet I could talk him down. Do you think that lens would be a reasonable compromise for the price? I have no idea what that lens looks like, IQ wise. I suspect it's not the best for macro but that is not my top priority.

10-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
~70 mm is a great portrait focal length on crop.

Somewhat like 135mm on film.
10-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Hey thanks for the thoughtful response. So you use an all manual lens for your portrait/outdoors work. Do you find it easy enough?

I found an SMC M 100 f4 macro online for200, but I bet I could talk him down. Do you think that lens would be a reasonable compromise for the price? I have no idea what that lens looks like, IQ wise. I suspect it's not the best for macro but that is not my top priority.
I sue both manual and AF. depending on what type of lens. the Sigma would mostly be used manual since it's AF is painfully slow. the 85s and 90s that I have right now are manual so I shoot with them manually. some lenses I find easy with manual. the lens that I had struggled using manual was the Rokinon 85. although it was a very good to excellent portrait lens, it was a struggle for me to use it. it's DOF is really shallow, not to mention it's heavy and MF ring wasn't comfortable for my hand. just stiff for me. the Sigma 85 may have a useful AF I guess basing from the reports that I'm hearing. the 100 is fast and accurate enough for AF comfort. much so with the AF 135 that I have which is blazing fast that it misfocus on occasion, lol.

that is a very good MF macro. the price is fair, but if you'll be able to talk him for a bargain, that would be great.

I think the cheapest AF 90/100mm macro would be around $250-$300 used. if you can spare a bit more, you can have the luxury having AF as well. AF can really be useful in some situations.
10-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I was to start it all from scratch then three prime setup would be:
15/31/77
but since 3 is not enough and 15 is not wide enough (for me) nor fast enough (for me again) I'll stick to what I have in signature

10-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My choice: DA21, FA35, FA77. That is my actual "go-to" kit. Wide, normal, and portrait-tele. I also have an F50/1.7, but I very seldom use it. The "hole" between 35 and 77mm doesn't bug me at all.