Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - VS - Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - VS - Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

Which would give me better IQ in the Kx?
I know what the letters stand for, but I'm not sure if one is better than the other for use in the KX .........

10-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you intend to do any macro photography? or is this just for general purpose?

If you do intend to do closeup photography then the Macro version would help.

Just my take - and I do not do any macro. I have heard that the standard lens is very good.

10-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The HSM version is the newer version of the Sigma lens but honestly they are entirely different. The optical formula, size, and weight are all entirely different. The newer Sigma has gotten some excellent reviews online as being on par with the Canon/Nikon variants in the same FL range. The same can not be said about the Macro version. There is also a big price difference with the newer version being more than double the price. That said, I think it is worth it as the best available lens for pentax in its focal length. And no -- 24-70mm is entirely different from 28-75mm and should not be compared as such. If you do a search for this lens on pentaxforums or my username, you'll see some example pics.