Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
luke0622: totally agree with Pentaxor!!! MF would be perfectly fine for portraits, but when it comes certain situations, AF is a big step up.
I agree--AF has its place here. And this lens has its place too, since a fast 85mm AF in P mount for under $1000 would appeal to many shooters. The reviews look good, showing the lens shares a lot in common with its little brother--50mm 1.4. I have to believe the lens will be a success.

10-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
Sorry for the late reply . I think there are ebay sellers for the Zeiss 85mm selling the lens for less than US$1,000, sans shipping. Or there was about 1/2 a year ago, anyway. Can try your luck there!
if I were to get an MF 85, I would rather have the 85mm lenses that I have right now (price ranging from $100-$250). I'm sure that the Zeiss is a great lens, same with the A* 85mm. but I can't justify to pay for it if it leaves me quite shorthanded for overall general use.

the FA77 is great, but it fell short of what I want for a lens. FA*85 is the closest thing to getting what I want, but I needed to pay more. but ultimately, I also want to expand my horizon and see what Sigma can really do.
10-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

my brother told me they have now stock for the K-mount in Singapore. I'm yet to decide whether to order one or just have to wait for B&H. depends on how much the lens is and how fast the shipping would be.
10-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll be getting my work bonus in late November and considering my options for a lens purchase. The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is pretty appealing but I am wondering if I should be considering the Pentax 77mm f/1.8 instead. Other than the 8mm difference and slight speed difference, how would you compare the two lenses? One more appealing than another for any particular reason?

10-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
my brother told me they have now stock for the K-mount in Singapore. I'm yet to decide whether to order one or just have to wait for B&H. depends on how much the lens is and how fast the shipping would be.
Cool thanks. Will check out the local community to see if there are any reviews for this lens here. The Zeiss is a great lens, but I agree that a AF 85 has its advantages and can get shots which is impossible (or highly difficult) with MF depending on the context.
10-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is pretty appealing but I am wondering if I should be considering the Pentax 77mm f/1.8 instead.
This is what I want to see - a direct comparison with the Pentax 77mm.

I had a 77mm and really loved the way it rendered. Best lens in my bag as far as that was concerned. However, I used it to shoot a lot of dancer performances, usually with very low lighting. I miss a lot of shots because, let's face it, the 77mm isn't exactly the "fast focus champ".

If the Sigma has really good AF compared to the 77mm and the image quality is close, I'll consider switching myself...
10-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
I'll be getting my work bonus in late November and considering my options for a lens purchase. The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is pretty appealing but I am wondering if I should be considering the Pentax 77mm f/1.8 instead. Other than the 8mm difference and slight speed difference, how would you compare the two lenses? One more appealing than another for any particular reason?
Until we actually have one to test nobody knows, but the Canon forums are very happy with the results they are seeing. If it is like the 50mm Sigma it will be sharper overall at F/1.8 than the Pentax 77mm. The HSM will be significantly faster and quieter. Personally I think the Sigma 85mm will be the better lens, but we will have to wait and see.

Now if Sigma will announce a 135mm f/1.8 and make the 150mm macro available in K-mount everyone will be happy.
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Until we actually have one to test nobody knows, but the Canon forums are very happy with the results they are seeing. If it is like the 50mm Sigma it will be sharper overall at F/1.8 than the Pentax 77mm. The HSM will be significantly faster and quieter. Personally I think the Sigma 85mm will be the better lens, but we will have to wait and see.

Now if Sigma will announce a 135mm f/1.8 and make the 150mm macro available in K-mount everyone will be happy.
some user-owners say that it is an improved version overall of the Sigma 50. CA, sharpness across the frame, contrast are much better. even the onion ring bokeh that some are complaining about is improved. however, this phenomenon is not uncommon and could be contributed on how the aspherical elements are made to solve or improve certain optical rendering thus producing the patterns at the same time. this is not only exclusively for the Sigma lenses, but others as well.

anyway, I kinda laughed on how the lens gets dissed by the fanboys at fredmiranda, calling the test shots as irrelevant, useless just because the 85L got it's ass handed down.

I would think that if it were the 85L that showed better results, I would believe it would receive high praises.

note: initially, before the Sigma 85 was released, most were already dismissing it and say that it can't do better than the Canon 85's and not worth the $900. even saying for the price, you'd be better off with the Canons' if it's not better. now that it's out, some loonies say that the tests are flawed or fake and that they need more real world test results. oh my, can't believe people would stoop down at that level just to protect their brand. surely the $1800 price premium has to do with the sourgraping as well.

10-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Popphoto took the Sigma 85/1.4 for a ride. Quote "Sigma's newest prime proves to be more than just a portrait lens.".

Here are some sample images (from a Canon 7D).

EDIT: These pre-production samples might be more useful.

The lens seems to be mighty sharp and retains a lot of resolution at f/1.4. Given that the sample images are unprocessed they look quite impressive. Not sure about the bokeh. Seems very good but can it rival the likes of an FA 85/1.4?

Last edited by Class A; 10-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.
10-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I don't think we need MORE sharpness in a portrait lens than what is already available.

Assessing the bokeh is highly subjective though. A direct comparison against the Zeiss ZK 85/1.4 Planar and the FA* 85/1.4 may give some interesting results.
10-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
IA direct comparison against the Zeiss ZK 85/1.4 Planar and the FA* 85/1.4 may give some interesting results.
That would be ace.
10-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesMizzell Quote
I miss a lot of shots because, let's face it, the 77mm isn't exactly the "fast focus champ".
I think what you experienced was much more the (lack of) performance of the K10D, rather than the FA 77. The latter will focus much better on a K-7 or K-5.

I was surprised, though, to see that the FA 77 seems to be a PF monster. One can see nasty PF on many of the photozone test shots.
10-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #43
Site Supporter

On the issue of the FA* 85mm vs. the A* 85mm and the FA 77, interesting information can be had here. No test shots though, just interesting technical info.

Two Brothers and a Cousin - the A* 85/1.4, FA 77, and FA* 85/1.4
10-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

cant help but post this.

10-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't think we need MORE sharpness in a portrait lens than what is already available.

Assessing the bokeh is highly subjective though. A direct comparison against the Zeiss ZK 85/1.4 Planar and the FA* 85/1.4 may give some interesting results.
I can always soften up an image in post if it is "too sharp" and get good results. If the lens is soft however it is next to impossible to fix in post. I use 85mm/135mm for a lot more than just portrait work.