Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 85mm f1.4, not too bad price!!!

$899 at B&H, not too bad compare to other 85mm ones out there.

now, we need somebody to pick one up to do a review or so; or hopefully get some reviews from other sites.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10101406sigma85mmavailable.asp

10-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote

now, we need somebody to pick one up to do a review or so; or hopefully get some reviews from other sites.

Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM lens now available: Digital Photography Review
I'd gladly pick one right up immediately, but they don't have one for the K-mount as of yet.

as far as some other reviews, I already started a thread with it along with some samples.

as for update, here is a more clear side by side comparison against the Canon 85/1.2L Mk II against it. link >>> http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/945990. from the samples, the Sigma is pretty much holding up it's own against the more expensive Canon L. for Pentax users, this is great news to finally own an 85mm AF for the K-mount. I wouldn't mind if it's not Pentax, as long as it's an 85mm. screw them if they don't make one, I can live with it now. I don't need them now to build one for me.
10-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

For a bit more, you can get the Zeiss Planar ZK 85mm which received stellar reviews at photozone. The sigma has autofocus, but that's not a big deal for me for non-wildlife/sports/events telephoto lenses.

I agree that the real test whether it is value for money comes when we see images from the lens.
10-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
For a bit more, you can get the Zeiss Planar ZK 85mm which received stellar reviews at photozone. The sigma has autofocus, but that's not a big deal for me for non-wildlife/sports/events telephoto lenses.

I agree that the real test whether it is value for money comes when we see images from the lens.

the Zeiss is $400-$500 more. now that's a lot, especially for an MF. I can get a used FA* 85/1.4 for much less or the new Sigma for much lesser.

the Sigma may not appeal to those who are fine with MF lenses. but for mf use, the best bang for the buck would be the Samyang 85/1.4 over the Zeiss for the price. besides, the Samyang is impressive for it's portrait use.

the main selling point of this lens is AF, well not just AF but fast HSM AF. for others such as myself, this is needed for certain occasions.

I like the Zeiss, but not the price. also, would be needing an AF for an 85.

as for images, for me the results are very promising >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/114807-test-sa...-85-1-4-a.html

10-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I might pick one up, just don't know whether it's going to be for Nikon or Pentax......
10-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

24mm, 50mm, 85mm.

hmm..
10-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a quick comment:

Isn't getting any 85/1.4 lens, from any brand, whether it is MF or AF, is because you'd want to do portrait especially?
Now, is AF THAT important for portraiture?

You wouldn't use that lens for fast action shots now, would you?

JP

10-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it could work for action shots... there are definitely some indoor sports out there that might be benefited by using the AF 85/1.4, if you think about it...

we can start a new discussion, can anybody think of any indoor sports that people might need a 85mm/1.4?
10-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

it could work for action shots... there are definitely some indoor sports out there that might be benefited by using the AF 85/1.4, if you think about it...

we can start a new discussion, can anybody think of any indoor sports that people might need a 85mm/1.4?
bowling, curling, billiards, basketball, badminton, etc...and for some reason...dancing is now considered as an indoor sport? but regardless if dancing is a sport or not, it would require some good speed as well. AF is also essential for candid shots or actions shots. AF is always a luxury. I mean, certainly there are people who will be fine with MF lenses, but AF is AF, and was made for that purpose.
10-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
totally agree with Pentaxor!!! MF would be perfectly fine for portraits, but when it comes certain situations, AF is a big step up.
10-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

after having too much negativity with this lens initially, especially in Canon land due to sheer fanboyism and brand loyalty, I think it has now created a major stir on other forums during the couple of days. from the comments that the lens is receiving now, the 85L lenses are now less and less likable/preferred. some people even sold the 85L/100L for it. how impressive is that?

initial user reviews says that the Sigma 85 is sharper than the "L" lenses, better colors, CA management and bokeh.

I could have had this lens by now, if only I had a Canon Body. makes me think of shopping for one.
10-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
bowling, curling, billiards, basketball, badminton, etc...and for some reason...dancing is now considered as an indoor sport? but regardless if dancing is a sport or not, it would require some good speed as well. AF is also essential for candid shots or actions shots. AF is always a luxury. I mean, certainly there are people who will be fine with MF lenses, but AF is AF, and was made for that purpose.
Agree, especially kids shot!!! I love my manual 85mm lens but still desire AF one.
10-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Having just gotten the Rokinon for $150, I can't see how this one would be appreciably better for $899, aside from AF.
10-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Having just gotten the Rokinon for $150, I can't see how this one would be appreciably better for $899, aside from AF.
from the images that I saw, I believe it's sharper and has more contrast compared to the Rokinon. this is from wide open to smaller apertures. although the Rokinon is sharp from wide open, it doesn't improve a lot nor by much when stop down. in other words, it doesn't get as sharper as much as other 85mm lenses do. the M85 for example trumps it from F2 and worse onwards. the J-9 catches up slightly at f2.8 and beats it at f4 and f5.6. although inspite of that shortcoming, the Rokinon's has very high transmission and is really a bright lens. but the great thing about it is it's buttery smooth bokeh that blends well with it's shallow DOF. personally, I prefer the Rokinon's bokeh better than what I have seen with the Sigma, although the Sigma has excellent bokeh as well. this must be due to the difference on the approach of both lenses preferring which area to focus on.

too bad I already sold my Rokinon earlier this year in anticipation for the Sigma. I could had done a side by side comparison for differences. but since I don't have it, all I can do is do a lone test approach with the Sigma, and see by what differences I see with it in comparison with my experience shooting with the Rokinon. we can only hope that some Samyang/Rokinon owner would be kind enough to do some 2 lens testing.

p.s. in fairness, the Rokinon got a very good review and praise from me. >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/Rokinon-Samyang-Bower-85mm-1.4-Asphe...or-Pentax.html . the high marks is due to my use of it as a portraiture lens where it is at it's best, not all-around performance.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-18-2010 at 11:21 AM.
10-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll live with my 85 1.9 Super Tak until I hit the lottery.