Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Cosmetic F*300 repair

I just picked up an F*300 in remarkably clean condition compared to most I've seen. However, there is one cosmetic issue that I'd like to fix. There's a vinyl-ish band on the barrel that's pulled off a ways on one end, and just a tiny bit on the other end. (see attached)

I tugged on the loosest end just a bit, and it looks like the whole band will come off without damage. There's only a small amount of adhesive residue on the barrel at each end. So I'm thinking of:
  1. Removing the entire band
  2. Cleaning the underlying barrel. It appears the small amounts of adhesive at each end will come off easily with a gentle fingernail scrape and a bit of alcohol and Q-tip will remove any remaining residue.
  3. Cleaning the underside of the vinyl-ish band.
  4. Re-affixing the band. I imagine a simple DIY collar will do for holding it in place while the adhesive dries.

Any recommendations for:
  • How best to clean the underside of the band / remove the adhesive without damaging the vinyl?
  • Adhesives to re-secure the strip onto the barrel?

Thanks!

Attached Images

10-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Originally it was taped on using Nitto industrial strength tapes. If you see glue, it was a redo. A safe way of removing old adhesive is to rub them off with your thumb, then using duct tape to remove all remaining marks. It it was contact cement, then good luck.
10-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd use alcohol to clean the adhesive. Actually I would use lighter fluid, but I don't know if lighter fluid would damage the lens barrel. Maybe try it in an inconspicuous area first.

To re-adhere, I'd use gorilla glue. It doesn't melt plastic like Loctite or Krazy Glue, so it should be safe.
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Originally it was taped on using Nitto industrial strength tapes. If you see glue, it was a redo. A safe way of removing old adhesive is to rub them off with your thumb, then using duct tape to remove all remaining marks. It it was contact cement, then good luck.
Ahhhh...that's what it is...industrial strength tape. Makes perfect sense, now. I wasn't quite sure what to call it.

Looks like someone just touched up both peeling ends a bit to keep it from peeling further, so not a complete re-do. The rest of the barrel is clean. Fortunately what little touch-up adhesive is there comes off very easily.

I definitely want to use an adhesive that will bind, but will also be easily removable if it starts to peel back again. Hmmm...

10-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The truth is, if both surfaces were cleaned properly (pure isopropyl alcohol will do), high strength tapes will not peel off again. The problem is people just applied glue w/o proper surface preparation. 3M industrial tapes will do as well, but the Japanese Nitto is superior.
10-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thirdofthree Quote
Ahhhh...that's what it is...industrial strength tape. Makes perfect sense, now. I wasn't quite sure what to call it.

Looks like someone just touched up both peeling ends a bit to keep it from peeling further, so not a complete re-do. The rest of the barrel is clean. Fortunately what little touch-up adhesive is there comes off very easily.

I definitely want to use an adhesive that will bind, but will also be easily removable if it starts to peel back again. Hmmm...
Barge cement ought to fill the bill, there. The suggested tapes probably are tidier, though, I'd probably suggest those, especially cause the vinyl there is white: you know it'll be flat and won't goosh out into the seams or anything.
10-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just so we are clear here, alcohol may clean the surface but it will not remove any old adhesive. Whatever was used before, be it glue (in a repair) or tape needs to be removed completely if you want the repair to look right and last. Once you have removed all the old adhesive, alcohol may be used to clean and prep the surface for reattachment.

10-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Be a bit careful if you use Gorilla Glue as it expands when it dries, it grips for sure, but you have to use it sparingly as the expansion leaks out of the edge of whatever you're gluing and can make a horrible mess. Ask me how I know this handy tip ? :ugh: