Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #1

jupiter 9 questions

I find myself strangely drawn to the jupiter 9 - especially with the swirly bokeh. 2 questions though:

1. does the MC version substantially differ from the non-MC question?

2. i see posts that ask for copies made before 1990. what differences are there between the pre-1990 and post-1990 models?

thanks in advance!

10-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good starting point would be the review on this site:
LZOS Jupiter-9 MC 85mm f/2 M-42 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
To address your questions:
  1. The MC version has multi-coating and presumably greater resistance to flare. I own the MC version and ALWAYS use a hood with this lens. The MC coatings are subtle at best.
  2. The posts regarding old vs. new most likely are referring to the lens in LTM mount.
Take care when shopping for a J-9 to get the mount that matches your camera. They were made by several different factories in the FSU in several different mounts (M39 LTM, M39 for Zenit SLR, M42 for Zenit/Practica/Pentax SLR, Kiev/Contax Bayonet, Kiev Bayonet) for two different formats (35mm and 120 roll film). Many of the reports on the Web regarding poor build and QC is related to the LTM lenses. Ditto for articles talking about botched repair of complex dual helices. The M42 version is relatively simple with a single focus helix.

Be aware as well, that these are not all old lenses and that new product in M42 mount is still being made at the LZOS factory in Russia.

Steve

BTW...The Jupiter-9 is not particularly known for swirly bokeh. It is known for its very smooth bokeh, softness wide open, and excellent sharpness when stopped down a notch. My profile photo was taken with my J-9...
10-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #3

I knew I'd find you here Steve.

I'm looking into buying this lens as well. I will re-enforce what Steve said and tell you that the Jupiter bokeh is very smooth (from the images I've seen), much like the Volna-9, another lens I am looking into buying. If you want interesting bokeh, check out the Helios 44.
10-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
I knew I'd find you here Steve.
Ha! Ha! I don't have a lot of FSU glass, but I did a lot of research before I purchased and like to help out where I can.

Steve

(Actually has some more FSU stuff on the way...Zorki 4K w/Jupiter-8 50/2 and Kiev 4AM w/Helios 103 53/1.7...)

10-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #5

The Volna 9, Mir 10A, Industar 50-2 and Tair 11A are on my list.
10-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agraspar Quote
I find myself strangely drawn to the jupiter 9 - especially with the swirly bokeh. 2 questions though:

1. does the MC version substantially differ from the non-MC question?

2. i see posts that ask for copies made before 1990. what differences are there between the pre-1990 and post-1990 models?

thanks in advance!
Did they ever make Jupiter-9 lenses after 1990?
I was told they refurbished them for awhile but I never knew they manufactured anything past the late 80's

FTR. I have owned several Jupiter-9 lenses and the none MC version seemed to have nicer colors. However, direct lighting would affect contrast.

The newer MC J-9's do much better in fact, though finding a good copy might prove to be quite a chore. I went through three copies before getting one that had clear glass(no bubbles of defects in it). And I gave-up trying to an oil free copy.

IMO. if you can get a smooth focusing clear glass MC J-9, count yourself lucky!
10-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Did they ever make Jupiter-9 lenses after 1990?
I certainly hope so since my J-9 was purchased new in Spring of 2008 and the "passport" indicates an inspection date of 5 November 2007. The stamped serial number on the lens is 07xxxxxxxxxx. The 1990 date you are referring to may apply to LTM (for Zorki) versions of the J-9 or maybe production for a particular facility. (Jupiter-9 lenses in the various mounts were made by LZOS, KMZ, and Arsenal.) I just checked the LZOS Web store and noticed that the J-9 is no longer listed, so it may well be that production has halted and that dealers are selling from new old stock.

For what it is worth, my lens:
  • Is the black M42 MC version made by LZOS
  • Focuses smoothly
  • Has no bubbles or flaws in the glass
  • Has oil on the aperture blades
The last point is no cause for alarm. A small amount of oil on the aperture blades of many manual or pre-set lenses is normal and even required for some designs to work smoothly. My understanding is that all J-9s come from the factory with a light smear of oil on the blades.

Steve

BTW...Prices on the J-9 have gone through the roof in the last year or so. I only paid $85 for mine, but current gray market prices on new copies are in the $250 USD range. The best way to get one might be to find someone going to Moscow and have them pick one up for you.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-15-2010 at 07:05 PM.
10-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...Prices on the J-9 have gone through the roof in the last year or so. I only paid $85 for mine, but current gray market prices on new copies are in the $250 USD range. The best way to get one might be to find someone going to Moscow and have them pick one up for you.
No kidding!
I payed a 160 premium for my last one(called mint) with documentation.

Also, thanks for the added information on manufacturing.
Very good to know.
I wonder how the newer ones fair in contrast the the older stock?
I still have a none MC version here somewhere...(looking under desk trash).
10-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my copy is the zenit one, Non-MC glass which was made more than 30 years ago. I can still smell the pungent machine oil/grease when I bought it. body was somehow oily/slippery but no evidence of leaks but just felt oily. had to clean the helicoid off with some of the grease which were not pleasing. also had to wipe off the body with non-invasive/abrasive substance which cleaned off the oily feeling and removed the displeasing odor it had. Oil on the blades whic was normal.

I just used my copy again recently and had to recondition or twitch the aperture ring latch. it was a bit stiff IMO, since I last used it or maybe because I kinda forgotten how to use it with efficiency.

pretty interesting bokeh and sharpens up considerably when stop down at f4 and f5.6. very nice oof highlights. colors are paint-like. interesting that I can pop the image out as well.
10-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I still have a none MC version here somewhere...(looking under desk trash).
*nudge nudge* How much to take that paper weight off your hands?
10-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks very much for the replies, everyone! so just to make sure i got everything straight,
MC vs. non-MC isn't really much of a big deal, and for the m42 mount, dates wouldn't be that much of a problem.

i wish i knew of someone who is going to russia.. darn it. oh well, its off to ebay... or perhaps if I got lucky here on the forums. i see a lot J-9's on the wanted marketplace, and they just keep getting bumped up....
10-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Every time I see "Jupiter 9", I think of "Jupiter 2" from "Lost in Space" :-)