Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #16

Personally I think the lens-swapping you would encounter with a 3-prime setup would be annoying... I guess it depends on whether photography is the main aim of your trip, and the level of patience of your travelling companions (if any).

I would definitely take the 15 as it's so small and gives fabulous results, but I would pair it with a good zoom.

The last 2 OS trips I've done with a Sigma 18-200.... the focal length range is great, but I was never happy with the IQ. I've since upgraded to a DA*16-50 and DA*50-135, and the IQ is stunning, but these make quite a heavy package.

Also, have you looked into the possibility of buying a new lens in Japan? With the price of Pentax gear in Australia it's likely to be cheaper there.

Nick

10-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndolling Quote
Personally I think the lens-swapping you would encounter with a 3-prime setup would be annoying... I guess it depends on whether photography is the main aim of your trip, and the level of patience of your travelling companions (if any).

I would definitely take the 15 as it's so small and gives fabulous results, but I would pair it with a good zoom.

The last 2 OS trips I've done with a Sigma 18-200.... the focal length range is great, but I was never happy with the IQ. I've since upgraded to a DA*16-50 and DA*50-135, and the IQ is stunning, but these make quite a heavy package.

Also, have you looked into the possibility of buying a new lens in Japan? With the price of Pentax gear in Australia it's likely to be cheaper there.

Nick
Well, I looked into the prices in Yodobashi and Bic Camera websites and they're actually pretty high compared to buying here considering AUD to JPY is 1 to 80 now.

Anyways, I'll be doing lots of night photography this time since there's many autumn light up event in November in Japan. Here's there setups I've considered:

DA15mm
DA40mm
Tamron 90mm

DA15mm
Sigma 17-70mm
Tamron 90mm

DA15mm
Sigma 17-70mm
Pentax SMC M/A 50mm f1.7 (or any other cheap primes for night photography)

I think it'll be easier to decide if you guys just vote on which setup.I'm on a budget here after buying a SLR with 3 lenses, laptop and money for the trip...

Some extra questions:
Would the DA40mm or Sigma 17-70mm be good enough for night photography? I heard they're not as sharp wide open and needs to be stepped down.

What's the difference between the A/M ver of the 50mm f1.7? I also heard that the f1.7 is sharper than the f1.4 version wide open...

Is it hard to learn to use a manual focus lens?
10-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

if the Pentax 18-135 is already available, I'll get that one.
10-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #19
jpq

I dont own pentax but if i must choice only three primes in 1.5x sensor size something 15,about 30mm sounds nice to third lens when other two are wide angle in about 15-18mm and one is tele something 70-100mm maybe...but i still if i am you sell 17-70mm i mean to my third choice for this setup i think shouldbenormal for this sensor size.but to me small setup (way what i like it) is something like 17-70mm and 30mm...(when i need dof control).

10-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

DA21 it'll be your street/allround lens
10-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
Well, I looked into the prices in Yodobashi and Bic Camera websites and they're actually pretty high compared to buying here considering AUD to JPY is 1 to 80 now.

Anyways, I'll be doing lots of night photography this time since there's many autumn light up event in November in Japan. Here's there setups I've considered:

DA15mm
DA40mm
Tamron 90mm

DA15mm
Sigma 17-70mm
Tamron 90mm

DA15mm
Sigma 17-70mm
Pentax SMC M/A 50mm f1.7 (or any other cheap primes for night photography)

I think it'll be easier to decide if you guys just vote on which setup.I'm on a budget here after buying a SLR with 3 lenses, laptop and money for the trip...

Some extra questions:
Would the DA40mm or Sigma 17-70mm be good enough for night photography? I heard they're not as sharp wide open and needs to be stepped down.

What's the difference between the A/M ver of the 50mm f1.7? I also heard that the f1.7 is sharper than the f1.4 version wide open...

Is it hard to learn to use a manual focus lens?
Not at all. Ok, I've learnt photography that way and could never get used to autofocus (as camera and I always had different opinions on what to focus on), so my voice may be a bit biased.
I would, however, advise you to practise before you travel. Manual focus on an old spotmatic is easy. Gettig focus right on a k200d may become a challenge, especially when shooting wide open in low light. The viewfinder simply ist too small, and "focus confirmation" (the red rectangle lighting up when you reach focus, assumed you set the camera to "AF" despite having mounted a manual focus lens) at least sometimes ist not too accurate.

My advice: Get a 50/1.7 as soon as possible and spent some time with it practicing.
Even if you end up not liking it, they are dirt cheap, and you can resell them easily, so no money ist lost except shipping charges.
The difference between M and A would be the price, the M-lens being a lot cheaper, but forcing you to use stop-down metering (which simply means: put camera to M mode, set aperture on the lens, focus, press green button, shoot. Just one step more - move your trigger finger one centimeter - and you practically have all that Av mode has to offer).
I'd take the M, not seeing the A's comfort worth the extra price, but I am a cheap guy, you know.