Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Square pegs in a Pentax hole

So I was at a camera show, and there was this nice Vivitar 200mm 'KA' mount. Looked sort of reasonable, in great shape, the lens had a stop for 'EE' which I took for Vivitar's version of the Pentax 'A'. And talking to the guy, he was going in the Pentax direction, though pointed out there weren't any contacts on the lens... I figured, worst case I'd do the stop down thing.

Both our minds skipped. But he sold it to me for $20. With both caps and a case.

At home, it becomes clear this isn't a Pentax mount... but I mount the damn thing anyway, damnit. Won't focus to infinity, but here at 20 feet, a nice cat.

It metered just fine, and if it only focused even to 100 feet, this Frankenstein would be viable. Looks like 30 feet is the limit. This is a Konica mount lens.

As it is, either I'm selling a lens or buying a Konica. Konicas, being orphans, look to be really cheap, unlike Pentax which are theoretically cheap (but all the lenses are Highly Desired)....

Anyone else with Square Pegs on Pentax holes? I understand Nikon non AI lenses mount upside down...

09-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
So I was at a camera show, and there was this nice Vivitar 200mm 'KA' mount. Looked sort of reasonable, in great shape, the lens had a stop for 'EE' which I took for Vivitar's version of the Pentax 'A'. And talking to the guy, he was going in the Pentax direction, though pointed out there weren't any contacts on the lens... I figured, worst case I'd do the stop down thing.

Both our minds skipped. But he sold it to me for $20. With both caps and a case.

At home, it becomes clear this isn't a Pentax mount... but I mount the damn thing anyway, damnit. Won't focus to infinity, but here at 20 feet, a nice cat.

It metered just fine, and if it only focused even to 100 feet, this Frankenstein would be viable. Looks like 30 feet is the limit. This is a Konica mount lens.

As it is, either I'm selling a lens or buying a Konica. Konicas, being orphans, look to be really cheap, unlike Pentax which are theoretically cheap (but all the lenses are Highly Desired)....

Anyone else with Square Pegs on Pentax holes? I understand Nikon non AI lenses mount upside down...
Pretty sharp. Too bad about the infinity thing. You can use lens flange to film plane numbers to get an idea. At dpreview there were a bunch of posts about using Nikon F mounts but of course the same infinity cripple applies for some reason (it shouldn't based on the numbers, you have 1mm to play with ), but they sort of mount.
Large and/or equal are "possible" (thereare other factors) w/ full inf focus.
Smaller is not possible w/out more glass or loss of full focusing capabilities.
List of lens mounts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Konica is 40.5mm