Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 02:37 AM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just let your feet do the walking and take your money to a better deal. Overpriced gear *should* be reasonably easy to spot and if there are people out there happy to pay RRP on second hand goods that's their business. If it's something you want but refuse to pay the asking price, and the seller states 'obo' or 'ono' in the ad, I couldn't see anything wrong with some negotiation. I'd even consider it with a seller who doesn't state those terms, as long as they don't say something to the effect of 'no lowballing' or 'price firm'.

10-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
as long as they don't say something to the effect of 'no lowballing' or 'price firm'.
the only thing that is wrong with this picture is when someone who purposely jack-up the price way beyond the market price and would falsely claim or advertise the jacked up price appear to be the market price, then followed by the word firm and no lowballers. I saw some items go for 2x or 4x the price. I don't mind them jacking up the price or saying the price is firm or no lowballing, but trying to fool somebody or make some people look like a buncha idiots by false claim is a despicable act which cross the boundaries of business ethics to what is now considered as a scam or fraud or swindling.
10-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I guess none of you are going to jump on the silver FA 31mm lens on eBay going for BIN $2930.27? I mean, shipping is only six bucks from Europe (what a deal!)
10-16-2010, 03:43 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Yep true enough mate, you cant..but I do get peeved at endless bumps for overpriced gear that aint never gonna sell unless some unclued poor git see its without doing his homework!!

Like I said , for rare lenses and non current production runs..E:G the sigma 70 -200 , I can see the added value....but since the old Aussie doller has hit parity with the green back...US based online prices are looking good :}
Mind you...the Aussie Distributor will match any overseas or grey import prices for their gear here in Aus...you just have to ring up sigma. tell how much you can get it for. then they will match it..great stuff...a Brand new Sigma 70-200 HSM 11. will cost me about $800 AU to my door from Aus Sigma.

there was a geezer the over day selling his gear on Market place...and cause it was priced right it sold in no time....I think his Pentax 540 flash went for $275..good price so it sold

people that are amazed that some one aint bought their fantastic lens before now shouldn't be amazed...it aint gone cause its too dear mate!!!

Do you know if Pentax will match overseas prices too? Or just Sigma?

10-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the only thing that is wrong with this picture is when someone who purposely jack-up the price way beyond the market price and would falsely claim or advertise the jacked up price appear to be the market price, then followed by the word firm and no lowballers. I saw some items go for 2x or 4x the price. I don't mind them jacking up the price or saying the price is firm or no lowballing, but trying to fool somebody or make some people look like a buncha idiots by false claim is a despicable act which cross the boundaries of business ethics to what is now considered as a scam or fraud or swindling.
I hear what you're saying, but as with most second-hand sales, including this forum's marketplace, there are no rules on price setting. Ethical practice or not, unfortunately there's nothing legal that can stop such sales or the people they may be able to swindle from paying unreasonable prices for goods. So again it comes down to the customer's responsibility to do the ground work and prevent themselves from accepting a bad deal. Again, the discerning customer will take his/her elsewhere if it's not a reasonable deal.
10-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
there's nothing legal that can stop such sales
Most developed countries have Trade Practices Legislation. This, and my own conscience, would be enough to discourage me from selling current model goods at multiples of their new price.

You'd want to do your own due diligence, but as an example,
Australia's TRADE PRACTICES ACT 1974 - SECT 51AC(3)(e) provides for a court to consider:
". . .the amount for which, and the circumstances under which, the business consumer could have acquired identical or equivalent goods or services from a person other than the supplier"

Interestingly, legislation like this is often written to protect the mis-informed buyer and mis-informed seller. I'm sure PF members would never take advantage of a person mistakenly selling their K50/1.2 for $40, thinking it was a K50/2.
10-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
Do you know if Pentax will match overseas prices too? Or just Sigma?
nah mate..just sigma..CR Kennedy who distribute in Aus..must be a factory Kick back to them for it too happen, cant see them price matching just sigma and none of their other product lines if that weren't the case.

just ring them up and they will do it, and even deal direct with you!

10-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #23

Some second hand prices that appear too close to the new price for US residents
are sometimes very tempting for Canadians residents.

Despite our currency at almost par, the same item purchased new locally
would be much more expensive plus an extra 14% or so in sales taxes added to the total...

Quick example: a Pentax DA 12-24mm f4

second hand, often seen around 580-600$ USD on the forum's marketplace

listed new at B & H : 699.95$ USD
new, local Montreal : 1259.99$ CAD +14% sales taxes

And our dollar is pretty much at par these days. . .

Last edited by mlatour; 10-16-2010 at 09:17 AM.
10-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote

would be much more expensive plus an extra 14% or so in sales taxes added to the total...

Canada needs to jack up prices, 30 million people on welfare depend on it.
10-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote

same in Aus mate

a 50-135 Da * is $779 from B&H...local online in Aus is around the $1450 AU, and retail in the shops they go for $1600 AU..and our dollar is parity at the mo Too

I realise that our distributors cant buy it in at the same price that the American market can...and I doubt that B&H have much of a mark up either..
interestingly Amazon wont ship to my address in Aus...and international orders from B&H are done from a Brazilian website....and here I was thinking that America and Australia had a trade agreement!.......
10-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about Marketplace sellers who purchase used lenses, uses them for a while, relists them at an inflated price, and then whines when the sales threads do not get any action.

Those types of sales threads really clutter up the Marketplace with the needless bumps.
10-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
How about Marketplace sellers who purchase used lenses, uses them for a while, relists them at an inflated price, and then whines when the sales threads do not get any action.

Those types of sales threads really clutter up the Marketplace with the needless bumps.

cheers for that classic example mate...LMAO. "then says come on guys you know its a good price"...not quite as good as what he paid for it 2 months ago...Awesome
10-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #28
Forum Member

Heh, I saw cases of that when I browse the marketplace as well, some are so bad that they were trying to flip a copy that they *just* bought for a higher price! I was trying to find a used MIJ FA31 at the time and someone pmed me about a copy - that was obviously JUST bought off the marketplace... Pretty nuts...

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote

10-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I think a $20 bump is still not that much considering the lens is over $250+ worth, not to mention that the seller paid for an additional import duties, selling it for the price he paid for it would put him at a loss rather than a gain. remember, the seller is from north of the border.

with regards to the other sellers who live by buy and sell, it's their prerogative and it's up to the consumer whether to budge in or not.

heck, I had seen a lot here of that as well and saw people make a profit by doing that. believe me, I would had done the same business, but not to the extent that it is already considered as a highway robbery.
10-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what irony that some the very people bitching here about used prices and desiring to INTERFERE with someone else's business sit on high and justify the current US MSRP of the K-5....talk about duplicity/double-standards/lack of ethics.

FYI, there is a rule on the Marketplace that forbids posting comments about prices so one should assume PM's to potential buyers to the same effect would be covered in the spirit of that rule. But doing this all you do is run off people from even bothering with offering items for sale here as you are no better than the "shill" bidders most of you conjure up w/o proof.

Sorry if this sounds angry, that is because it is...and as I have pointed out, none of you will email a someone listing something too cheap for current prices and suggest they ask a higher price...nope you will swoop in and buy it to resell yourself after playing with it for a while. So gimme a break.

marketplace rules refresher for those who never, errrr, missed it hint: some of the blue parts are sorta on point here):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/137-read-firs...equipment.html

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-17-2010 at 10:02 PM.