Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second hand prices

Is it me. or are people expecting too much money for their second hand lenses?

I've been trolling the market place for some time looking for a used lens, and the ones that keep coming up are priced very near to new prices, Bump after Bump and the lens are still not selling.... doesn't that tell the owner something!, I can understand the rare items that are no longer in production fetching silly prices...

The gear that is priced correctly sells almost immediately, I dunno. but Id rather buy a new DA 50-135 from B&H for $769 then a used one from quite often a second or third hand owner for $750...also the newer lenses that have SDM have the new and improved SDM!...no brainier for me...If im going to take a punt on a used item, I want it at least 30to 40 % cheaper than new,,,also no warranty of used

so if you want it gone, price it correctly...but perhaps you don't want to sell it at all, hence the over inflated price.

if Ive upset some lens sellers..sorry,,,!!!!

END RANT

10-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

You can't blame folks for trying
The 2nd hand price for new (read in production) stuff is kind of hard to set IMO. It depends on age, condition etc. With older lenses you'll get prices much closer to normal/expectable, yet sometimes the lens doesn't go unless you don't go cheap simply because of lack of interest...
10-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe it's a reflection of the price rise in new lenses ?, certainly here in the UK.

I bought a DA50-135 a couple of years ago for £500 when the list price was about £600. It's now £1.200 list price, I could almost certainly sell my lens at a profit.

This kind of 'economy' has to filter down to older lenses, even long discontinued ones.
And of course there's a resurgence of interest in old lenses which will surely increase with the popularity of 4/3 camera's. Perhaps today's prices are a true reflection of the market at work?

Last edited by Lloydy; 10-15-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sp
10-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I absolutely agree with you. Why on earth would I pay slightly less than a lens costs new and not have the warranty? Some folks are asking for more than KEH prices. With KEH, at least I can return the lens if I find fault with it or change my mind. I check the market place daily, but rarely see anything offered for a tempting price.

Oh well, I am just about set with my current autofocus lineup. Currently I'm in the market for a few more takumars but I'm in no hurry

Cheers, Doug

10-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The issue is supply and demand

When sigma was between production runs of the 70-200 F2.8 I saw selling prices well in excess of 1400us for the first generation non DG non macro. This was simply because a) it was and is , IMO the sharpest version of this great lens and b) it and the FA lens in this range was out of production and twice the price used. Now 6 years later it still commands a good price but somewhat lower because later versions sold for less new
10-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bodies too. A used Kx with 18-55 for $475 or brand new WITH warranty AND return guarantee for $495?

**The worst part......someone actually bought that Kx. I really hope the buyer offered less and the seller accepted. That is just ridiculous!
10-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

i bought my kx new from fumfie for 440 (plus 49$ shipping insurance) with the 18-55... so I got a better deal than that used one I guess

10-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think that there is a lot of bartering that goes on... Now sure, if someone isn't real serious about selling, their going to try and get every penny out of it. But the guy who really wants to sell, his prices are much more reasonable.

My (confusing) 2 cents.
10-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #9

Another thing is when I buy new I get an extended warranty via my credit card provider. This makes those high second-hand prices even more overpriced.
10-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
i bought my kx new from fumfie for 440 (plus 49$ shipping insurance) with the 18-55... so I got a better deal than that used one I guess
Exactly. You paid just $14 more than the $475 that someone in this very marketplace wanted and got for a USED kx. You got the warranty, return policy and hundreds of less clicks on the camera for only $14 more.

**Do you guys think it is ok or acceptable if we see a ridiculously overpriced item to PM the potential buyer and tell him that there are better deals out there? Basically if I had PM'd that person who bought the Kx for $475 and told him to wait for a better deal, would you guys be ok with that, or would I be stepping over the line?
10-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
**Do you guys think it is ok or acceptable if we see a ridiculously overpriced item to PM the potential buyer and tell him that there are better deals out there? Basically if I had PM'd that person who bought the Kx for $475 and told him to wait for a better deal, would you guys be ok with that, or would I be stepping over the line?
There are always going to be better deals and cheaper prices out there. If you feel so strongly about it then do so. I personally would not interfere with another's transaction unless I know for a fact that the seller is dishonest or is attempting to scam the buyer.
10-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

relax. I saw much worse on eBay and on craigslist.

there are 2 things that you can do with regards to the prices of items being sold here, it's either you ignore it or buy it. you can buy it either full price or by negotiating with the seller for the price that you are willing to pay and is fine with the seller.
10-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
You can't blame folks for trying
Yep true enough mate, you cant..but I do get peeved at endless bumps for overpriced gear that aint never gonna sell unless some unclued poor git see its without doing his homework!!

Like I said , for rare lenses and non current production runs..E:G the sigma 70 -200 , I can see the added value....but since the old Aussie doller has hit parity with the green back...US based online prices are looking good :}
Mind you...the Aussie Distributor will match any overseas or grey import prices for their gear here in Aus...you just have to ring up sigma. tell how much you can get it for. then they will match it..great stuff...a Brand new Sigma 70-200 HSM 11. will cost me about $800 AU to my door from Aus Sigma.

there was a geezer the over day selling his gear on Market place...and cause it was priced right it sold in no time....I think his Pentax 540 flash went for $275..good price so it sold

people that are amazed that some one aint bought their fantastic lens before now shouldn't be amazed...it aint gone cause its too dear mate!!!
10-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I personally think that's overstepping. Like someone else mentioned, it's supply and demand. If someone's got a used 50-135mm selling for $750 and there's a buyer willing to pay that price, why not? I don't fault the seller for trying to get as much as they can or trying to recoup what they paid. Like you mentioned, if they price it too high, then it won't sell, but it doesn't hurt to start a price and lower it later.

I do place some responsibility on the buyer though for not doing their homework and researching prices. It doesn't take much effort to look at places like Amazon, KEH, eBay, B&H, etc. to see what pricing is like. They could even ask on the forum, or better yet look at the marketplace archives. If they have the know how to get on this forum, they should have the same means to compare pricing.
10-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

A seller has various possible pricing strategies, including:

* Start high and await a sucker, er I mean a desperate buyer
* Start low and let supply and demand and beer-o'clock decide
* Start with a Buy-It-Now at around what it is currently worth

These (and other) strategies all work enough that they survive and spread. Small-scale, I buy and sell less expensive gear on eBay, usually under US$100, and I always start below US$1 because I trust the bids to reach a decent price. My sales profits are around 40% so I'm doing OK, eh? But all that I'm selling is excess that I don't want, can't use, want out of my life, etc.

If I was selling more valuable merchandise I might want a higher start or reserve price. But I just watched a couple no-reserve auctions for *NEW* SIGMA 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC II Lens f/ Pentax that started at US$5 and sold for $455. Supply-and-demand seems to work.

Then there's the guy who starts his used photo gear off at ridiculously high prices, like a CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (usually under US$50) that he sold to some sucker for US$275. Such a deal! But look as his numbers: He has about 300 items in his eBay store. Number of sales in the past 12 months: five (5) total. I'd say his business model is seriously flawed, eh?

Darwinian processes will eliminate the discrepancies.