Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Jodokast96: If AF/MF works anything like on the 70-200, just leave it switch to MF on the lens and switch it on the camera whenever you need it.
I have never shot with the 70-200, but hope to someday. Thanks for the advice. On the 17-50, there is no switch at all. The way you get AF is to put the camera body in either of the 2 AF positions: AFS or AFC. If you try to manually focus while in either AF position, you can do damage to the lens--no good for camera either. To shoot MF with the 17-50, you need to put the camera body (in my case the K20d) to the MF position, first--this is the only way to MF the 17-50. Once the camera is in the MF position, the focus ring on the 17-50 will turn freely, without driving the AF motor.

However, on the TAMMY 90MM 2.8 MACRO, you can leave the body in AF and focus manually because it has the Pentax equivalent of "Qucik Shift." But, this ability is important in Macro work, I do not see its importance with a 17-50, which Tamron didn't either. I hope this is clearer than mud.

11-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My bad, I just assumed it had a switch. I've got of couple of Quick Shift lenses, and honestly never use the feature. I always switch the body no matter what.
11-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Tamron 17-50, Tamron 90 macro and Tamron 70-200 so I'd just like to share some thoughts.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
If AF/MF works anything like on the 70-200, just leave it switch to MF on the lens and switch it on the camera whenever you need it.
The lens seems to focus somewhat faster with the focus ring pushed forward to the AF setting. Also, the focus ring is very wide and might accidentally brush against your hand while spinning. I personally leave it in AF most of the time, but will admit that the toggling from AF to MF is rather fiddly and noisy, so in cases where I have to switch to MF often I will leave the lens in MF.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
However, on the TAMMY 90MM 2.8 MACRO, you can leave the body in AF and focus manually because it has the Pentax equivalent of "Qucik Shift." But, this ability is important in Macro work, I do not see its importance with a 17-50, which Tamron didn't either. I hope this is clearer than mud.
The Tamron 90 macro does not have quick shift, unless there is a new version out. The Tamron 90 works just like the 70-200, with a focus ring that can be engaged or disengaged, but the camera needs to be set to MF to be able to focus manually without resistance and damage.

On another note, my Tamron 17-50 just had a zoom mechanism failure within 2 months of use, but Tamron took care of it under the 6-year warranty. Took 2 and a half weeks from sending the lens out to receiving it back from them.
11-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
darrenleow:The Tamron 90 macro does not have quick shift, unless there is a new version out. The Tamron 90 works just like the 70-200, with a focus ring that can be engaged or disengaged, but the camera needs to be set to MF to be able to focus manually without resistance and damage.

I shoot with the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Di Macro (Model 272EP). On it, the focus ring, when pushed forward & backward, allows access to AF & MF, respectively. If the camera is set to AF and the lens to MF, I can make minute, but crucial, manual focus adjustments before I meet resistance of the AF mechanism. I can not do this with the 17-50. You are correct that I do not have full access (nowhere near actually) to the entire manual-focus throw, but I have enough to make focus adjustments which are crucial to good Macro work. This allows fine tweaking of MF, but is quicker than regular MF because I use the AF to get in the “ballpark,” then finish with the MF. This is easier for me to do perhaps, because of a KPS 1.3 eyepiece magnifier and a split prism.

I apologize for my equation of this to the Pentax branded “quick shift,” and subsequent misnomer I created.

QuoteQuote:
darrenleow: On another note, my Tamron 17-50 just had a zoom mechanism failure within 2 months of use, but Tamron took care of it under the 6-year warranty. Took 2 and a half weeks from sending the lens out to receiving it back from them.
That is qucik service--and I am glad to hear this, though i surely hope I never have to deal with it. Best!

11-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Cuchulainn: No problem! Hope my reply to you didn't come off too negative!
Heck no!! The truth be not negative; only our attitudes are capable of negativity. Best!
11-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I shoot with the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Di Macro (Model 272EP). On it, the focus ring, when pushed forward & backward, allows access to AF & MF, respectively. If the camera is set to AF and the lens to MF, I can make minute, but crucial, manual focus adjustments before I meet resistance of the AF mechanism. I can not do this with the 17-50. You are correct that I do not have full access (nowhere near actually) to the entire manual-focus throw, but I have enough to make focus adjustments which are crucial to good Macro work. This allows fine tweaking of MF, but is quicker than regular MF because I use the AF to get in the “ballpark,” then finish with the MF. This is easier for me to do perhaps, because of a KPS 1.3 eyepiece magnifier and a split prism.

I apologize for my equation of this to the Pentax branded “quick shift,” and subsequent misnomer I created.

That is qucik service--and I am glad to hear this, though i surely hope I never have to deal with it. Best!
I'll have to go try this out myself, but I think that's probably because of the much longer focus throw of the Tamron 90 that fortunately allows the exploitation of the minute play in the focus motor connection. Perhaps I could be able to make use of this instead of going exclusively into manual focus for macro work.

Yup, quick and easy service indeed. Had to have the tripod collar of my 70-200 replaced before under warranty and it was equally painless.