Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #1

Queries on voigtlander 180mm sl

Just got a voigtlander 180mm SL I
This seems like a beautiful lens especially when taking close ups, however I can't seem to get "infinity" photos in focus...
Q. When using the K20 I can only adjust the focus for all lenses not just the voigtlander so is this normal? It seems to be front focusing and I can't turn the focus barrel further - probably only need 0.5mm more! any suggestions? (ps was there ever a sl II model or what was different with the 2007 - last version?) - thanks...

10-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pHREDD D Quote
Just got a voigtlander 180mm SL I
This seems like a beautiful lens especially when taking close ups, however I can't seem to get "infinity" photos in focus...
Q. When using the K20 I can only adjust the focus for all lenses not just the voigtlander so is this normal? It seems to be front focusing and I can't turn the focus barrel further - probably only need 0.5mm more! any suggestions? (ps was there ever a sl II model or what was different with the 2007 - last version?) - thanks...
Well, first of all, great lens! There was only one version of the Voigtlander 180mm, and no SL II.

It's correct that when using the K20 and a manual focus lens, you can only use the "adjust all" (as far as I can tell, only autofocus lenses can have their own adjustments).

However, this only affects focus confirmation (the green hexagon that tells you when something's in focus), and will not actually adjust the focus plane. (so it won't help a lens focus to infinity).

So it seems like the only thing to do is to take it apart and adjust it, or have somebody do it for you.

I've adjusted the focus on a similar lens (one made at the same factory) by removing the front ring, loosening (not removing) a few screws inside the barrel and turning the focus ring a bit (it moved freely), and tightening it up again. Took some trial and error, but I got perfect infinity on the lens. But with such a nice lens, which is becoming more and more rare, it might be better to bring it in somewhere.

My 180 seems to go a bit past infinity, but I haven't bothered to take it apart. I'll update you if I do!
10-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

It's a bit strange since I tried it on a kx and had no problems at infinity perhaps something to do with my K20???... It is amazing lens!
10-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, sorry for the delay.

That is odd that you weren't having trouble with it on the K-x! So are you sure the lens isn't going past infinity (which would also make things look horrible)?

There are some other things that could be happening, like maybe the shutter speed was really low (it is a pretty long focal length, after all, and you'd notice a shake like that most at infinity).

Just trying to eliminate other variables before I make you disassemble anything

I'm subscribing to the thread now, so I'll know if you reply and I'll do my best to get back quickly.

10-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
Dan

The problem you are experiencing is not that uncommon. Here are a couple of postings from dpreview involving another member (not me) who had your problem with a 125mm Voigtlander. He describes the fix in the first link below; the photo of the lens is in the second link:

Description of the "fix" (involving removal of the lens mount and aperture ring):
Re: Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Macro: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The photo of the disassembled lens (to which the previous link refers):
Re: Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Macro: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I hope this helps! By the way, if you get the focusing sorted out you will find that the 180mm Voigtlander APO-Lanthar is a truly superb lens. It's about as close to perfect as a lens can get. Here's hoping that you can get the focusing fixed so you can enjoy this optical marvel!

Dan