Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I recently messaged a seller who listed an A135/3.5. Look it up -- there ain't no such bird. And the series initial on the lens was obscured on each photo. I gently pointed this out and suggested that he'd be dinged if a winner actually believed it was an A. He apologized and posted my message. Then I bid on it, and was outbid. But everybody is happy (it's not like there'll never be another) and on good terms. That's how it should be.

On the other side, I just sold a big road-racing bike frame but got my measurements wrong. A kind buyer pointed me where to look for the right info. I thanked him profusely and posted his messages and the corrections. And he bid on it... and was outbid. At least the winner couldn't claim he was misled. I do all I can to avoid a NOT AS DESCRIBED ding.

Viewing listings, I'll point out discrepencies every now and then. Usually I'm not insulted in return, just ignored. Whatever. That tells me who not to do business with. Even with BUYER PROTECTION, it's still caveat emptor. And I won't reward louts.

10-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You are wrong to blame Pentax. They made a number of 50mm lenses, 1:1.2 and 1:2 amongst them. They are clearly stated on the lens. What more do you expect a manufacturer to do ?
they could atleast made the M50/1:2 to M50/F2 or simply M50/2 instead of the usual M50/1:2 which is most often believed that M means Manual Focus 50mm lens. how difficult can that be? mind you that every first time buyers don't know this until actually they got what they paid for. not everyone knows about it. even the sellers themselves commit such mislabeling of that particular lens with the M50/1:2. not everyone knows that there is a 50mm f2 lens, so it's important to make it clear.

I'm sure there are a significant number of forum members that are unaware of this who hasn't crossed on such topic, thereby making themselves to be part of the uninformed new enthusiasts.
10-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
PART of the problem is with Ebay's listing system where it gives 'pre-filled' info and offers a Stock photo. The bottom line is that the seller has made the listing state that he is selling an f2.0 lens. He did so on the 15th (which means somebody probably asked about it). Since then, the 10/13 high bidder has placed at least 2 more bids and is still the high bidder at $255 with what looks to be a protection bid (A very stupid strategy BTW), even though, the listing text states what the lens really is. One of two things is going on here, The high bidder is about to kiss a big Ugly frog (to borrow the phrase), is Completely uneducated on these lenses, can't (or won't) read the full listing, and/or refuses to be outbid. OR, the seller is using a Shill.

Edit: Usually when I write these sellers, no matter how polite I am about it, explaining their error, I'm told to go F myself. They know more about it than me.. So be it.

or snipers. this is what people get by letting a program do the bidding work for you. shills on the other hand are the lowest kind and I hate the practice as well. but it's up to the bidder if he/she is that desperate.

p.s. don't worry, I'm sure those sellers who drove you off got some good old red marks and eBay/Paypal disputes. don't say that you didn't warn them.
10-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I've bid on a 1:2 thinking it was a 1.2, even though it was clearly listed and correct picture.
Guilty too.

10-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #20

No Reply Yet

With 3 hours to go on the auction, I have received no reply (not even a rude one!) to my query.

Having advertised at great length a Pentax-A f1.2, to actually ship a Pentax-M f2 is going to upset whatever buyer gets this lens. The updated description is not only also wrong, but not readily visible unless you look closely.

Mike
10-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
answer

I did get an answer to my question:

"Hi

I noticed today that your ad is incorrect, you are listing a SMC-A 1.2 lens that is not very common, and all the text and photo refers to the SMC-A version of this lens. BUT then you have added some text at the very bottom of the listing stating that it is actually a SMC-M f2 version! That text was added just 1 hour after I placed my first bid. That lens is very common on not worth more than 50$ tops
"
And this is the sellers answer:

"Ibelieve the description has been revised to reflect what exactly is on the lens "ASAHI OPTICAL CO. SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm"

Great, uh? So I continued to point out that the heading and description is wrong, but this he hasn't replied to. So I retracted my bid of course.
10-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, the bid is now at 300USD, with less than 3hours to go.
10-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

It always happens that seller selling f2 as f1.2 and not otherwise may be a genuine mistake but this happened with me too and then seller refused to accept it.

10-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Sold!

for $331.56. Somebody is going to be PISSED OFF.. Looks like a sniper got it.

QuoteQuote:

"Ibelieve the description has been revised to reflect what exactly is on the lens "ASAHI OPTICAL CO. SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm"
Which is pretty much the go F yourself from the seller.

10-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Wow, seriously. I hope it doesn't get that far, and that the buyer goes back and reads things a little more carefully before he pays.

So the seller didn't think that it was weird that this lens he had--which is also widely available on eBay for about $25--is going for over $300?

Somebody find me that smilie where the dude's shaking his head...
10-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #26
Inactive Account

:brother:

You mean This one?

10-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #27
Site Supporter

The seller better have some Vaseline on hand.

The move to anonymous bidding has made this more of a problem. There was also a time when you could actually PM folks bidding.
10-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Wow, seriously. I hope it doesn't get that far, and that the buyer goes back and reads things a little more carefully before he pays.

So the seller didn't think that it was weird that this lens he had--which is also widely available on eBay for about $25--is going for over $300?

Somebody find me that smilie where the dude's shaking his head...
I have missed sentences that were added quietly at the bottom AFTER I have bid on an item on 3 occasions. Once I saw it and retracted my bid, once the seller told me after I actually won and gave me the option to cancel my bid which I accepted. The other the item was ok and the price was lower than the value of the item anyway. Now I watch this sort of thing closely.
10-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Guilty too.

I believe the sniper will also learn a lesson from this, which is "stop being lazy".
10-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The seller better have some Vaseline on hand.

The move to anonymous bidding has made this more of a problem. There was also a time when you could actually PM folks bidding.
I used to do this. It wasn't to try and grab a bidder for my own items, just a friendly heads up (especially to newbies) on the evils of getting caught up in a bidding war.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have missed sentences that were added quietly at the bottom AFTER I have bid on an item on 3 occasions. Once I saw it and retracted my bid, once the seller told me after I actually won and gave me the option to cancel my bid which I accepted. The other the item was ok and the price was lower than the value of the item anyway. Now I watch this sort of thing closely.
If something changes a bidder needs to know about, I always write and give them the option before auction end. With Snipers unless they are using a robot bidders (as I do) and don't check, it's on them. I'm not a hard ass about it though, if they write and explain, I'll cancel the transaction and relist. Oft times, it sells for more than the first time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe the sniper will also learn a lesson from this, which is "stop being lazy".
Or at least keep an eye on the listing and Read what is there.

I suspect this is going to end without a transaction. I know if I were in the winner's situation, and Later (before paying) realized what was up, I'd simply refuse to pay. Let the seller bitch, who cares.. The REAL red flag of this auction though was This line at the bottom of the pre-filled info..

"Vivitar 1:2 mm lens for Pentax-M made by Asahi Optical w/ 12mm tube ext."

Someone had the forethought to ask what was Really being offered and probably bailed out as soon as outbid, or never placed a bid. Good idea to ask with the shitty descriptions matched with stock photos sellers are using nowadays. Let's hear it for our Marketplace in leisurely lens shopping. Make contact, ask your questions, pay your money, Done. HooRah!