Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean This listing?

Pentax SMCP-M 50mm f/2 Lens - eBay (item 280577654556 end time Oct-26-10 12:40:49 PDT)

That clearly states

QuoteQuote:
Pentax SMCP-M 50mm f/2 Lens
At this point, he's showing what looks to be a proper photo. Certainly nothing that could be mistaken for an A50 f1:1.2. If it gets bid up to $300+ again, then Shame on the bidders and they deserve to get taken. Whether intentional or not.

10-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's possible but not likely. I've read of early Sears-marketed Pentax gear with lenses marked ASAHI SEARS. If a Vivitax did exist, it would probably be marked ASAHI VIVITAR and I've *never* heard of that. Maybe some collector-archivist here has a definitive answer.

Until I see a pic of one, I will consider that an Urban Legend. I have seen other makers do that such as Mamiya. There were lenses with Sears/Sekor on the face plate for example rather than Mamiya Sekor. Mamiya started labeling 35mm bodies for the Tower series when Pentax was marketed by Heiland Honeywell and Honeywell in the U.S.
10-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It still says "SMCP-A 50mm f/1.2" under the "Item specifics > Model," but I think it's clear enough now that it's really just a Vivitar f/2 lens for Pentax-M.

Seriously though, I think the extension tube on the end of it is going to confuse some newbie buyer too! Somebody buy this please and end it all!
10-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
New 50mm fraud?

Item #200535092782 on e-bay with a stock photo and without a link Ask seller question. Hm..

what to belive?

10-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Item #200535092782 on e-bay with a stock photo and without a link Ask seller question. Hm..

what to belive?
They've moved ask the seller to ask a question down at the bottom of the listings.

What I'm not liking about this listing is that he/she has been registered since 2006 and ALL of his feedback is from last week. It's entirely reasonable that someone just started buying via ebay but .....

10-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

I posed a question early in the first listing (as a not so subtle warning to readers) and did get a numb-nuts answer back but it never showed up in the ad?!

Does the seller control that event?

H2
10-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I posed a question early in the first listing (as a not so subtle warning to readers) and did get a numb-nuts answer back but it never showed up in the ad?!

Does the seller control that event?

H2
Yes. When answering a question there are several boxes to check. One of them is to show the Q/A within the listing.

10-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yes. When answering a question there are several boxes to check. One of them is to show the Q/A within the listing.
Now THAT's an interesting thing to know.

I can see why it would be necessary for a legitimate seller so as to avoid harassment, but it certainly benefits the scammer, too.

H2

10-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #54

My question never appeared either

I also asked a question asking for clarification and received an answer only after the auction had closed. It never appeared in the list of Q/A.

The lens is a Pentax-M f2 but for confusion has a 10mm Vivitar extension tube.

Mike

Last edited by Stringmike; 10-25-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
10-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Now THAT's an interesting thing to know.

I can see why it would be necessary for a legitimate seller so as to avoid harassment, but it certainly benefits the scammer, too.

H2
I suspect that at some point that will change. Right now though, it's a check box option and an easy one to miss. If someone is asking for shipping information (price, etc) I typically don't show it publicly. However, if it is something I think all potential bidders should know, such as a clarification on my listing or terms, I'll check the box to let the information show. Then again, I never use a stock photo nor do I use the Prefilled information.

As a buyer, I would be more concerned by complete silence. No answer equals no bid.

10-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As a buyer, I would be more concerned by complete silence. No answer equals no bid.
Dead on, there. If something looks interesting but maybe beyond my comfort level, I put it on watch. If something looks worth bidding on, I bid. If I have a question, I ask it. If no response comes back, I don't return to that item. Easy as cake.

As as seller, I don't get that much sleep during a sales week. If a question comes in, I want to answer it ASAP. Some questions help me correct or otherwise improve the listing. And it seems some of those who get fast answers, bid higher. So it's just good business.
10-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Dead on, there. If something looks interesting but maybe beyond my comfort level, I put it on watch. If something looks worth bidding on, I bid. If I have a question, I ask it. If no response comes back, I don't return to that item. Easy as cake.

As as seller, I don't get that much sleep during a sales week. If a question comes in, I want to answer it ASAP. Some questions help me correct or otherwise improve the listing. And it seems some of those who get fast answers, bid higher. So it's just good business.
You are dead on target with me... I'm the exact same.