Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
finding used lenses in nyc

Hi all,

I'm in the big apple for the next week or so visiting friends, and am wondering if any locals can recommend some places in the city where I might be able to find some old used pentax lenses. I did my rounds of Adorama and B&H earlier today looking for an M or A series 50mm prime, and the only one they had in stock was listed at twice the price of the average range reported in the lens database here on pentaxforums.com.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

10-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Hi all,

I'm in the big apple for the next week or so visiting friends, and am wondering if any locals can recommend some places in the city where I might be able to find some old used pentax lenses. I did my rounds of Adorama and B&H earlier today looking for an M or A series 50mm prime, and the only one they had in stock was listed at twice the price of the average range reported in the lens database here on pentaxforums.com.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
You'll probably find that to be the case in Most places. I know B&H sells used equipment so you might make the trek there. In practical reality though, you're far better off most times in terms of price And availability with the marketplace here or ebay. Unless getting your hands on first is of critical importance to you.

Those are my thoughts.

10-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Hi all,

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Do you want to email me directly and I'll see if we can help? (I'm told we have over 25,000 pieces in the used warehouse right now, and 'new' gear arriving all the time).
10-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're better off just going to Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com or doing the eBay thing, especially since you know what you want.

10-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should always try Craigslist for good deals. Like this Pentax Tamron 18-250mm for $250 or best offer, which is much better pricing than B&M stores or eBay.
10-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
You should always try Craigslist for good deals. Like this Pentax Tamron 18-250mm for $250 or best offer, which is much better pricing than B&M stores or eBay.
Call me chicken, but I haven't bought one single thing from CL since this thread: Karma and my beloved 70-200 - Canon Digital Photography Forums
10-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Call me chicken, but I haven't bought one single thing from CL since this thread: Karma and my beloved 70-200 - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Well, yeah, that's a sad story. However most people don't buy that kind of lens on CL. I have had very good luck buying Pentax lenses in NYC through CL. But My spending total is not close to $950 and I probably have acquired about 20 lenses plus some film bodies.

I am curious as to what might have happened with that $950 lens if the transaction had been on ebay.