Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hoping to buy the 35LTD macro...

Man have these gone up in price since I first considered buying one a few years back. Bummer.
Any suggestions as to the best places to purchase (price wise)? (I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.) I have purchased before at Prodigital 2000, but they don't seem to currently have the lens.
Thoughts are appreciated.
thx

10-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
as a rule Hoya has for all practical purposes price fixed, via their MAP agreements all vendors must sign, anything under their brands so other than used items or inventory reduction sales conducted under the blessing of Hoya it's pretty much the same price at any store online though some stick closer to the MSRP than others. BTW, all the mfg's are moving more toward this practice. What they are allowed to do varies from state to state in the US and also according to EU or country consumer protection laws. Right now in the US, consumer protection laws designed to preserve a competitive free market are at what feels to be close to an all time low.

Right now I have found the best prices on the 35ltd from B&H, eBay, Adorama and sometimes on Amazon though Amazon is not consistently as good a deal as once upon a time. Again all the brands are going in this direction it seems. But search eBay to see how much Hoya has clamped down on selling new Pentax gear on eBay. It could be other reasons but I doubt it as there haven't been the same drop off on new gear for other brands as with Pentax compared to just 12-18 months ago. And these days the overhead for large volume sellers to sell on eBay is VERY low, big time sellers pay unpublished and very low fees, including free insertion fees all based on category as sales volume.
10-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right now your best bet is probably going to be used, on ebay. It is still likely to cost more now, used, than it did New a couple years ago. Unfortunately every time I look at some of the upper end stuff, even used, the price goes up. New goes up, used typically follows immediately. A patient and vigilant search Can pay off however. It's more and more rare but sometimes a (relative) bargain Can be found.

10-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you dont need macro, there is the new DA35 2.4 which is 1/2 stop faster and cheaper (including cheaper build though)

10-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like the increased price point is a reality. (And yes, I am looking for a macro as I need it to duplicate slides.)
thx again.
10-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like the increased price point is a reality. (And yes, I am looking for a macro as I need it to duplicate slides.)
thx again.
the 35mm is not advisable for macro. too close for comfort to be shooting macro shots. a 90mm or 100/105mm is more advisable.
10-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the 35mm is not advisable for macro. too close for comfort to be shooting macro shots. a 90mm or 100/105mm is more advisable.
although i agree with the statement, I've seen some incredible macro shots taken with the 35mm.

all in all, it is one of the most versatile lens Pentax has ever made. sharp in all situation, wide enough for street and many landscape situation, and adding macro is just incredible.
10-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I love the DA 35 for macro shots. Sure, you are close to what you are shooting, but it is still an amazing lens. Sharp as a tack and such wonderful contrast and color. Not sure where you can find it on the cheap -- sometimes it pops up in the market place though.

Obligatory flower photo:

100 percent crop of above photo.

10-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Yep, It really sucks...

Full Size

Though I don't know if I'd want to try a 1:1 on a hornet's nest with it For that, I'll use a telephoto and crop.

10-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Actually, that's not true. For example, these paper wasps are going to get you if you piss them off with a flash regardless if your working distance is at 4 in or 12 in. I use the 35mm ltd over the 105 when I need 1:1 and a larger FOV. In this case, it allowed me to show most of the nest.

"No Guts, No Glory"
10-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Face to face with a flesh fly (Sarcophagidae) on the roof of my Jeep.

If you look closely on this stinkhorn mushroom, you can see the silhouette of a time fly shown in the next image.

10-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The best place to purchase Pentax gear in Canada is via eBay seller prodigital2000. Best prices, somewhat longish order processing times, fast shipping, no lies and no fuss.
10-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #13

I Agree for a larger working distance my Tamron SP90 is better and it also provides a different angle of view than my DA35. However saying that I have to use my Tipod more with the 90 than with the DA35 which can more easily be hand held. So while the DA35 may not be "true 1:1 macro unless right on top of the subject it may suit your style if you are a casual shooter of static subjects.
If you are serious though the 90 on a tripod is more ideal. However this can open up a whole new can of worms as you may also need ,Macro rails or a better tripod with a proper head as well as Flash ,reflectors etc.
There are some excellent macro photographers here. Im sure if you are interested in this level you can get some real answers.
I can say I am in this camp quite yet. I shoot mainly hand held with the 35 and an old Velbon tripod with my 90 and it still shakes to much not to mention the wind.

Macro is an art unto itself . Big respect!

Cheers
Roger
10-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx again for the feedback folks. The primary (no pun intended) reason for purchase is to digitize slides (about 3000 of them) on-and-off over the course of the next several months. Therefore, my question would be...Is there any reason to be concerned about the 35ltd macro capability for this purpose?

PS I love the "flesh fly (Sarcophagidae) on the roof of my Jeep" shot!
10-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Thx again for the feedback folks. The primary (no pun intended) reason for purchase is to digitize slides (about 3000 of them) on-and-off over the course of the next several months. Therefore, my question would be...Is there any reason to be concerned about the 35ltd macro capability for this purpose?

PS I love the "flesh fly (Sarcophagidae) on the roof of my Jeep" shot!
That is a good question. I have a copy stand and light table but have never tried it because I always use my Epson V500 or older Nikon slide scanner for that. I also have a Pentax bellows with a slide duplicator but haven't tried it to copy slides to digital.