Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I put an order in with Amazon because they stated they had 1 in stock. My card has not yet been charged and now their listing says to ship in 1 to 2 MONTHS.

10-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #92
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
I put an order in with Amazon because they stated they had 1 in stock. My card has not yet been charged and now their listing says to ship in 1 to 2 MONTHS.
It's Frank's fault...

Steve
10-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It's Frank's fault...

Steve
Nah, it's Pentax/Hoya's fault
10-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #94
Pentaxian

One more BIG THANKS for this thorough examination of the four lenses. Even if the DA Limited has the edge (pun intended) and the DA(L) proves it's capacity, your test explains why I'm in love with my FA35.

Kjell

10-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #95
Forum Member

I guess Pentax has improved their lens elements and coatings on the DA 35, greatly improving its transmittance wide open, because judging from the product announcement, it is the same optical formula as the FA version.

Thanks for doing such extensive and accessible tests. The images speak for themselves. I know what my next lens purchase is going to be.
10-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Of course it's franks fault.................but it was just delivered today, so I can let the jealousy go now...........

I'll need to take some shots with it tomorrow, a bit late right now to use it, but i'm tempted to get some shots of fall colors.

Lens size comparison versus a F50mm f1.7

Edit: Too dark outside right now. I pumped up the ISO to 1000 and the pictures looked ok before enlarging to 100%, but then the dreaded K20D noise came into play.

Last edited by chalion; 10-26-2010 at 04:11 PM.
10-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
I guess Pentax has improved their lens elements and coatings on the DA 35, greatly improving its transmittance wide open, because judging from the product announcement, it is the same optical formula as the FA version.
I think it is more likely that they have merely understated the true specs of the DA35/2.4, so as not to impinge too much on the more high-end offerings (DA35 Ltd, FA31 Ltd). The DA35/2.4 is probably much closer (optically-speaking) to the FA35/2.0 than the marketing folks want us to believe.

Thanks for doing such extensive and accessible tests. The images speak for themselves. I know what my next lens purchase is going to be.
Same here!

10-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #98
Site Supporter

The only difference in the coatings is the DA has SP on the front element. Both have the Ghostless Coatings and SMC. The elements in the DA are 1mm smaller. That's the difference in addition to the aperture diaphragm.

smc PENTAX-DA35mmF2.4AL An interchangeable standard lens for exclusive use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras

QuoteQuote:
Incorporating a hybrid aspherical optical element in its optics, this new lens delivers high-quality images with enhanced sharpness and contrast — from minimum focusing distance to infinity — and assures exceptional image-resolving power with outstanding brightness levels even at the edges — even at an open aperture — while effectively compensating various aberrations to a minimum. It is also treated with the PENTAX-original Ghostless Coating to minimize the adverse effects of flare and ghost images, assuring true-to-life images even under demanding conditions such as harsh backlighting.
FA 35/2 AL

QuoteQuote:
aspherical element(s), ghostless coating
10-26-2010, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The only difference in the coatings is the DA has SP on the front element. Both have the Ghostless Coatings and SMC. The elements in the DA are 1mm smaller. That's the difference in addition to the aperture diaphragm.
SMC isn't SMC. Pentax runs (or, at least, ran) continuous improvement in its coating processes. Take a look at two SMC lenses and you'll sometimes see different reflection characteristics; my Pentax-F has lots of reddish tinge, whereas my Pentax-DA tends to blue, or my two identically labeled Takumar 135mms (admittedly, non-SMC) also have different coatings. I don't know if coatings have changed in the last 5 years, but I'd be surprised if they haven't as even small changes make a large difference when you're looking at 11 optical surfaces.

Pentax isn't good at marketing the improvements they make, but that doesn't mean that they aren't making improvements.

You could be entirely right, that the coatings haven't changed. But the exposure is quite a bit different, and if we trust that the aperture and shutter were set correctly (both by the user and the mechanism), then something has to explain that difference.
10-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #100
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
SMC isn't SMC. Pentax runs (or, at least, ran) continuous improvement in its coating processes. Take a look at two SMC lenses and you'll sometimes see different reflection characteristics; my Pentax-F has lots of reddish tinge, whereas my Pentax-DA tends to blue, or my two identically labeled Takumar 135mms (admittedly, non-SMC) also have different coatings. I don't know if coatings have changed in the last 5 years, but I'd be surprised if they haven't as even small changes make a large difference when you're looking at 11 optical surfaces.

Pentax isn't good at marketing the improvements they make, but that doesn't mean that they aren't making improvements.

You could be entirely right, that the coatings haven't changed. But the exposure is quite a bit different, and if we trust that the aperture and shutter were set correctly (both by the user and the mechanism), then something has to explain that difference.
News flash, the FA 35/2 was released in 1999. I'm well aware of Asahi Optical's history including their coatings and that its has been improved on several occasions. However, I'm guessing you have direct proof that the SMC coatings have been improved over the last 11 years or in the 1 year since the FA 35/2 was discontinued? Furthermore, I also pointed out that both have the Ghostless Coatings like the LTD lenses have. However, you will find that information on The Auto Tak lens, Super Tak lenses, S-M-C, SMC, Ghostless Coating, SP and the Aero Bright Coatings is very difficult to find. Lastly, the SMC itself had been perfect so well by the 90s, Pentax came up with additional coatings such as the Ghostless Coating and SP to push the envelop farther.
10-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Thanks a lot for posting this! What a wonderful lens! I'm not sure (because at least one crop seems to point in the other direction) but I think I see slightly less CA (or PF?) from the DA35 compared to the FA35. I also appreciate that you compared it with the DA35 Macro, which I own. So I don't really have an urgent need this lens, but it would really be an interesting lens e.g. for my daughter, who currently uses K100D with the 18-55 and the 50-200 (or occasionally borrowing lenses from me).
10-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #102

In stock, $190 CDN:
Pentax DA L 35mm f2.4 AL | The Camera Store

Yes they ship to the states.

I've never purchased from them, but they seem well established.
10-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The DA 35 2.4 should have been a DA 28 2.4.
I agree that 28mm makes more sense than 35mm. However, I guess a good 28mm is more difficult to construct than a 35mm (on the K-mount).

I don't think I'll become friends with a 35mm, but I'm open to be proven wrong.

I'm glad that Pentax seemed to prioritised getting the bokeh of the DAL 35/2.4 right. It seems to be not quite up to its 35mm competitors (sans the A35) in terms of other optical criteria but as far as I can see it wins in the bokeh department. Given that it is plenty sharp, I think that was the right thing to do for Pentax.

P.S.: Love the fact how everyone refers to the lens as a DA *L*. If Pentax cannot get it right, we can.

P.P.S.: It does look like as if the lens contained an artificial aperture limiter, just like the K 55/2.0 (compared to the K 55/1.8). Does anyone else think this is the case?

(The above image was originally included in the first post of this thread.)
10-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #104
Veteran Member

That little ring could be one... I wonder if it's the cause of the nice bokeh wide open.... I also wonder if it can be removed .
10-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
P.P.S.: It does look like as if the lens contained an artificial aperture limiter, just like the K 55/2.0 (compared to the K 55/1.8). Does anyone else think this is the case?
I noticed the same thing in Frank's original post. I suppose someone will disassemble one soon enough to tell us.