Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 05:54 AM   #31

More Sample Shots

I had some time to play around more, and have added the results to my set on flickr (downscaled a bit):

Mitakon 85mm f/2 - Cheap manual focus 85mm - a set on Flickr

Couple of random notes:
  • Mass is 320g
  • Aperture is six blades - and doesn't stop down particularly evenly.
  • Some of the bokeh is really harsh when stopping down.
  • Saw some nasty veiling flare (not included in pics I posted)
  • Colour is usable, but not great - just a bit dull I think, but that might be me and my weird colour vision.
  • Seems best at closer distances and wide open. It seems to do very well for tight portraits.

Overall it's probably more than worth the money, but if you can afford it, might be worth looking at other options. Personally I think I will hang onto this until I can get an FA limited 77mm.

I will do a formal review sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Sam

11-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got this lens and I took it out for a try today. It's pretty good, especially considering the price. The nicest thing about it is that it is compact - it takes 52mm filters.

I have some test shots here:

Laurentiu Cristofor's Album: Mitakon MC 85/2 - PentaxForums.com

And will add real shots here:

Mitakon 85/2 - a set on Flickr

Here's one just for a taste:

@2.8

I think it's actually sharp enough wide open - it lacks some microcontrast, but I wouldn't call it soft - the detail is there. CA is very well controlled - I saw no LoCA, unlike for many other fast primes I own. There is just a bit of blue fringing for high contrast situations, but it disappears when stopping down the lens. Multicoating is there but it's not effective when facing the sun - it's not that I saw flare, but some internal reflexions led to a washed out result in one test shot. I think the build is pretty solid, so I'm not worried about how long it will last. I'm happy with it.
11-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hadn't seen this thread at Manual Focus Lenses referenced and thought I'd throw it in as it has some comparison shots of text close up (Helios 44-2, Mitakon 85mm @ f2, and Tamron 17-50mm @ f2.8).

Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Mitakon MC 85mm F2 Made in China
11-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Hadn't seen this thread at Manual Focus Lenses referenced and thought I'd throw it in as it has some comparison shots of text close up (Helios 44-2, Mitakon 85mm @ f2, and Tamron 17-50mm @ f2.8).
I reference it in this very thread, post #7. It seems like nobody read my post though, since nobody acknowledged any of the info I shared...

11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I reference it in this very thread, post #7. It seems like nobody read my post though, since nobody acknowledged any of the info I shared...
I read it. Thanks for posting.
11-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Sorry for the redundancy.
11-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian

it says "6 Elements in 7 Groups" LOL
11-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I read it too - I found the mflenses thread through your post. The information you provided about the manufacturer was very useful.

11-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I just got this lens and I took it out for a try today. It's pretty good, especially considering the price. The nicest thing about it is that it is compact - it takes 52mm filters.
.... snip ...
I think it's actually sharp enough wide open - it lacks some microcontrast, but I wouldn't call it soft - the detail is there. CA is very well controlled - I saw no LoCA, unlike for many other fast primes I own. There is just a bit of blue fringing for high contrast situations, but it disappears when stopping down the lens. Multicoating is there but it's not effective when facing the sun - it's not that I saw flare, but some internal reflexions led to a washed out result in one test shot. I think the build is pretty solid, so I'm not worried about how long it will last. I'm happy with it.
Done some more testing, and overall I'm going to say that I like this lens, and won't be looking for anything else in this region for quite a while.

There is some abberation etc, but nothing that really affects me - most of it starts to clear up from 2.8, really getting good by 3.5 on my copy.

Wide open is interesting on this lens - like you say, not exactly soft, but lacks microcontrast. It can be slightly deceiving wide open too - if you get the focus just wrong you get a cloudy/glowy sort of look. There is some noticable colour shifting in the out of focus regions at f/2 - can be the nasty purple/green. Other thing is coloured fringes on the defocussed blur shape - can make for some really nasty oof regions as white point sources take on a harsh yellow/greeny edge.

Think there's a slightly green colour cast too, but not really sure about that - more an impression than anything else.
11-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by subtle_goat Quote
It can be slightly deceiving wide open too - if you get the focus just wrong you get a cloudy/glowy sort of look.
Yes, critical focusing is important wide open.

Missed focus, if it is not recognized as such, can lead to the impression that a lens is soft or even that a camera is noisy. Today I was shooting indoors the Nokton at 1.4 and ISO 1600 with the K-7 - when I missed focusing on the eyes, they would come out as an ugly soup with noise in it - if the focus was spot on, the image looked great.

QuoteOriginally posted by subtle_goat Quote
There is some noticable colour shifting in the out of focus regions at f/2 - can be the nasty purple/green. Other thing is coloured fringes on the defocussed blur shape - can make for some really nasty oof regions as white point sources take on a harsh yellow/greeny edge.
Your experience with this lens is very similar to mine. The potential harsh blur is something I also noticed, but so far I also like it because it can provide a different feel - I think the image I posted above has some of that, but you'd have to pixel peep the blurred branches to see it. I'll need to test this aspect more thoroughly, but the weather is back to outcast skies with a menace of rain.
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #41

Photos: Gallery
This lens is still on sale for $125 at ebay. I read some of the posts at the Chinese forum on this lens. There were concerns on the build quality and durability. Any comments from owners of this lens? Thanks!
03-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Read this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/137698-sigma-8...changer-9.html

Seems like a good price, but depends on the condition/shape/fungus(?)