Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #16
Inactive Account

These are Chinese made copies of Zeiss Tessar design (I believe but could be wrong that 85mm is the long end of any tessar design use from any recent Zeiss lenses)

The brand is Mitakon - a remnant of a Japanese company that was co-opted by their Chinese component. There is a version of this called something like SGYKXG or some such that is identical

I have seen some fairly good performance from it on some Asian forums

It was selling for only $80 before these ebay versions showed up recently - and I would not pay more

mechanics and quality control are likely to be on stamped metal tractor levels

10-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
These are Chinese made copies of Zeiss Tessar design (I believe but could be wrong that 85mm is the long end of any tessar design use from any recent Zeiss lenses)
This is definitely not a Tessar. It's a 6 element design and a Tessar has 4 elements.

If it's a double Gauss design, like some people mentioned, then it's a Biotar. The other option mentioned was Planar. Both have 6 elements. If the mflenses thread has the right optical schema information, it looks more like a Biotar than a Planar to me.

I asked the seller about it and he confirmed it's a Mitakon assembled in China using glass elements made in Japan.
10-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
This is definitely not a Tessar. It's a 6 element design and a Tessar has 4 elements.
What he said...the other clue is that you never see a Tessar faster than f/2.8 or f/3.5.

Steve
10-22-2010, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

What adds to the confusion is that the name Sonnar is also used as a trade name for lenses that aren't true sonnars which should have a cemented 3-element group.

Edit: Here is a good thread for those that want a crash course or review on lens design & history.

http://forum.mflenses.com/list-of-lens-diagrams-triplets-planars-and-hybrid-lenses-t22934.html

Last edited by Blue; 10-22-2010 at 03:05 PM.
10-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #20
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a seller on facebook and his listing calls it a 6 element Planar. Don't know how accurate he is.
10-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote

The brand is Mitakon - a remnant of a Japanese company that was co-opted by their Chinese component. There is a version of this called something like SGYKXG or some such that is identical

I have seen some fairly good performance from it on some Asian forums

It was selling for only $80 before these ebay versions showed up recently - and I would not pay more

mechanics and quality control are likely to be on stamped metal tractor levels
Intriguing, I wonder how much I can get one locally for.
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #22

I got mine yesterday, only had a brief play so won't post any photos just yet.

Initial impressions:
-Build is ... utilitarian. It's inelegant, basically a tube with lenses and a cheap feeling rubber focus ring. It's quite long, but not that heavy, will weigh it later when I get home.
- I can confirm that mine has the A setting and haven't noticed any metering trouble.
- Focus feel is okay, by the standards of mf lenses, certainly no takumar, but certainly a lot better than most modern af lenses.
- Optically: actually pretty good, especially given the price. As expected it's soft wide open, but still maintains decent contrast. Does seem to really sharpen up beyond f/5.6, as some people here expected, which may be a big advantage over the samyang (though I haven't used one so won't comment further.)
Colours seem good, not pentax good, but useable.
Bokeh seems promising so far, but need to test more.
Haven't tested flare yet, will get some more time over the weekend hopefully.

Will update with pictures later.

10-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Would love to see some portraits at f2 & f2.8
10-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #24

Some of my initial photos, full size, portraits at f/2, f/4, f/8 and wide open at minimum focus distance. Straight out of the camera jpg from k20d, portrait, with sharpness at +1, everything else at default.

Mitakon 85mm f/2 - Cheap manual focus 85mm - a set on Flickr

There is a bit of chromatic abberation and not particularly sharp wide open, but still very, very usable, really does sharpen up too. The bokeh is very promising, but needs more testing. Only 6 aperture blades might be a little problematic at smaller apertures

Let me know if you want me to try and test anything - will post a more detailed test/ conclusion after I've had more time to use it.

Last edited by subtle_goat; 10-29-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Forgot to add things!
10-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pretty good pictures for the price, and f2 looks acceptable too. However, one thing noticed is that sharpness seems to be same between f2 & f4 - or the pictures are too small to make out. I will wait for some more tests from you. thanks for trying it out.
10-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Pretty good pictures for the price, and f2 looks acceptable too. However, one thing noticed is that sharpness seems to be same between f2 & f4 - or the pictures are too small to make out. I will wait for some more tests from you. thanks for trying it out.
Full sized images are there - just forgot that flickr doesn't make it easy to find them any more.

@f/2:
All sizes | Mitakon 85mm @f/2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

@f/4:
All sizes | Mitakon 85mm @ f/4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

f/4 might seem a less sharp because of a little motion blur - will take more shots later tomorrow, this was just the initial samples in 15 minutes or so of playing around.
10-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

Hey, those shots are damn nice!

This lens might change the ball game for a lot of people!
10-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Agree, that lens seems like a keeper. Can you share your experience with A mode, are you able to change aperture from camera? or need to use aperture ring?

Yusuf
10-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #29

Works like any A series lens - everything controlled from the camera body when the aperture ring is set to 'A'. I haven't tried setting the aperture with the aperture ring (don't have any cameras where that would be necessary).

I'm looking forward to giving it a full test tomorrow. Given how low the price is it should be really attractive for a lot of people - especially with prices for takumar/k/m series 85mm going up.
10-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #30
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by subtle_goat Quote

I'm looking forward to giving it a full test tomorrow. Given how low the price is it should be really attractive for a lot of people - especially with prices for takumar/k/m series 85mm going up.
Going up is an understatement, and seriously--those images looked great.

I guess the only thing to be concerned about, your tests not withstanding, is how it holds up over time.