Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

16-50 vs 10-24+18-55

Hi

I'm toying with buying another lens to add a wider angle capacity to what I carry. I tend to do most of my photography with my other half, which means that I have to do my best not to try her patience and switch lenses all the time, so I'm trying to decide between getting the DA* 16-50 for a better quality and slightly wider main lens, or getting one of the 10-20/10-24 ultra-wides from Tamron or Sigma to add to the 18-55.

I guess my question would be - how much difference does 16mm make vs 18mm, and how often would I use the 10-15mm that I'd miss?

I enjoy landscape photography while walking, and urban and event photography. (Not that I'm any good at any of them - still learning, and a long way to go as well..)

I want the wide angle to get more in for landscapes, but probably more importantly for when shooting indoors or in cities.

Thanks for any advice / opinions.

Jeremy

10-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were adding to the 18-55 kit lens for indoor photography I'd be focusing on the f of the lenses I was looking at as the kit lens is nice but not particularly fast.
10-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by faganj Quote
...how much difference does 16mm make vs 18mm, and how often would I use the 10-15mm that I'd miss?
Millimeters matter at the low end.

We, of course, have no idea what you would miss. I'd say no more than you have already missed :-)

The 12-24 is very useful for a variety of subjects. They pop up in the marketplace from time to time. I think 2 or 3 are there now.
10-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Millimeters matter at the low end.

We, of course, have no idea what you would miss. I'd say no more than you have already missed :-)

The 12-24 is very useful for a variety of subjects. They pop up in the marketplace from time to time. I think 2 or 3 are there now.
I second the motion for the DA 12-24. Check my Flickr site (in my signature) for some example images.

10-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA12-24 + Tamron 28-75.
10-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
DA12-24 + Tamron 28-75.
This sounds logical.
10-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

All depends on what your budget is. If you can afford the DA 12-24 plus a Tamron 28-75, go for it - I've had the combination and found the two very useful and versatile, not to mention of very high quality. 16mm came up short for me in so many instances when I was stuck with the DA* 16-50 only and 12mm is just so much broader. I've not had the need to go any wider than 12mm for rectilinear images and so am very happy with it.

I'm sure the Tamron 10-24 is also a fine lens, I just don't have the experience to advise...
10-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by faganj Quote
Hi

I guess my question would be - how much difference does 16mm make vs 18mm, and how often would I use the 10-15mm that I'd miss?
It doesn't make a lot of difference but it does make some. Another thing to consider is the 16-50 has a bit of barrel distortion at 16mm (even more than the 18-55 at 18), so there may be some issues at to how useful that extra range is.

Like some of the others that have commented, I tend to favor the 12-24 as the choice in the wide angle zoom. Whenever I feel the need to go wider than 12mm, I just turn the camera to the side and shoot multiple exposures at 24mm, which can later be stitched together in post to make a panorama.

That said, if you want to do indoor photography, the extra stop on the 16-50 would sure be useful. The 16-50 is, because it's faster and longer, the more versatile lens, and you can use the panorama technique mentioned above if you need to go wider. This would also negate the need to ever switch lenses.

10-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
It doesn't make a lot of difference but it does make some. Another thing to consider is the 16-50 has a bit of barrel distortion at 16mm (even more than the 18-55 at 18), so there may be some issues at to how useful that extra range is.
The difference in field of view is quite noticeable. Think of the change in focal length as a percentage of the difference. The difference between 70mm and 72mm is not really noticeable, but the difference between 27mm and 24mm is very noticeable, to use the film 24x36 frame equivalent. The barrel distortion can be removed automatically with DxO standard, which I routinely use as the first import software. I did some testing of the lens corrections DxO does with the K10d and the DA* 16-50, and posted the photos here.
QuoteQuote:
Like some of the others that have commented, I tend to favor the 12-24 as the choice in the wide angle zoom. Whenever I feel the need to go wider than 12mm, I just turn the camera to the side and shoot multiple exposures at 24mm, which can later be stitched together in post to make a panorama.

That said, if you want to do indoor photography, the extra stop on the 16-50 would sure be useful. The 16-50 is, because it's faster and longer, the more versatile lens, and you can use the panorama technique mentioned above if you need to go wider. This would also negate the need to ever switch lenses.
I agree, even when the extra stop is not used for exposure, it certainly helps with focusing whether manual or automatic. A brighter viewfinder is always a good thing. I find the range of focal lengths very useful with that lens. With my film bodies the FA 24-90 is the lens of choice when I have no particular subject in mind for the same reasons.
10-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you haven't tried 10mm you don't know what you're missing (see sigma 10-20mm club)

That said, if keeping your mate happy is higher than lens utility on the priority list, then the 16-50 would not be a bad choice; it also adds f/2.8 to your arsenal.

Personally I'd go for either the DA 12-24 or Sigma 8-18/10-20 if I only have the 18-55, rather than the getting 16-50 in place of both, and then in the future change the 18-55 to 16-45 or 16-50. IMHO a two-body setup would be more desirable for fast shooting with this combo.

As a one-lens-army though, 16-50 is a really good all-rounder in its own right, if not for the SDM problems... If money is a concern, I'd recommend getting the 16-45 first to see if 16 is wide enough.