Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax-A 28-80mm jammed

I have an SMC Pentax-A Zoom 1:3.5~4.5 28~80mm lens that seems "jammed". It will only adjust between 80mm and ~ 37MM. That lens came with my IST DL. Before I send it off for an expensive repair, I'd like to see if there might be something I could do to free-up whatever might be stuck and thus keeping it from being adjusted all the way down to 28mm.

10-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm afraid that there might be some sort of mechanical failure inside. If it seems jammed, and not just very tight, then there might not be much that you can do. I also think that it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to get it repaired.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought one of these off of ebay for $8.00 with shipping. Seller stated it does the same thing, partial zoom thru 35-80mm. I'm going to dissect it to see if I can find the problem. If not, then I can at least see what all is in a zoom lens.
10-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
I called the folks at the Pentax Repair Facility today and found out basically you send your lens in to them and they look it over with a fine toothed comb then they let you know what it will cost to repair your lens. You can have them go ahead with the repair, send your lens back to you unrepaired, or they'll dispose of your lens for you. If you opt for the 1st two options, you also get to pay for them to send your lens back to you. This may be well known here, I'm not sure so I thought I'd share it with the group.

10-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm afraid that there might be some sort of mechanical failure inside. If it seems jammed, and not just very tight, then there might not be much that you can do. I also think that it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to get it repaired.
When I attempt to rotate the lens from 80 down to 28mm, it stops moving around 35mm. Because I have respect for photo equipment normally being high precision movements, I don't generally attempt to "lay into" something to make it move... The lens will not move past about 35mm no matter if it's mounted on the camera or sitting on a towel on the desk.

I wonder if the folks at our F/A (Failure Analysis) lab can use some of their x-ray or electron microscope equipment to allow me to see inside the lens and get an idea what might be messed up?
10-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Is this the A 28-80mm that is the same lens as the Takumar-A 28-80?

Takumar-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
10-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
It appears quite close. And one of the posts in the review you so graciously provided the link to stated that it is the virtually the same.
10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You sent me a PM, but I don't want to give you inaccurate answers to your questions, so I am going to post it up here and see if someone else can answer them.

In reguards to the Takumar-A 28-80mm...

Is this lens primarily a film lens that will also work on a DSLR but with field of view concerns? I've heard that using a film lens on a DSLR while it can work, makes things more challenging for the photographer. I'm thinking this lens may be very close to my existing (though not fully working) Pentax-A 28-80mm lens.

Anybody?