Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
Actually! A k10d / 50mm manual focus combo is exactly what I want to get for my GF! She knows no better than to focus by hand, because that is the only thing I have on my K-X. Since she also takes pictures with mine, it's by now easier to use for her than the fancy pancy panasonic lx-2 I bought for her. I even have some off-brand lens so she's used to full manual exposure control too! Crazy eh.

10-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #62
Inactive Account

Good girl!
10-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ehlacore Quote

Nice to see another person from Japan. Nihonjin des ka? I'm lucky to have you responding to my posts! Thanks for the PM invite!

Well I know I want a lens to cover everything. Right now I go somewhere and I see something at a distance I cant get to and I am forced to take the picture and crop it or something that makes it look terrible.

I also cant shoot macro, I dont know why but this 28-80MM is just TERRIBLE at macro.

Lastly I:m not impressed with the IQ at all... not that I have alot to compare to but when I go from a $200 point and click to a DSLR I expected to at least see a step up in image quality. (which dont get me wrong, sometimes I do, its just that the most frustrating thing is to get a good shot with nice composition but the IQ sucks. I realize I:m still in the learning faze. Right now I:m practicing Manual Focus so maybe I can pick up a good cheap Prime lens that will help my improve my portraits and such.
Nope, I'm Guatemala-jin.

I recommend you get the kit lens DA-L, will save lots of trouble and it's not bad at all. If you want a longer I suggest you buy a 135mm prime. An auto-focus is out of the question at that budget though. How about a manual focus plus the kit?
10-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #64

Original Poster
I'm picking up on the manual focus, I did a lot of it on Saturday since the auto focus just was really so unreliable... especially with the 70-300mm lens.

10-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #65

When did you get a 70-300mm? I thought you had a 28-80mm.
10-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #66

Original Poster
I traded the 28-80mm plus $120 for a Sigma 24-130mm and a Sigma 70-300mm

They are missing caps, and have a little wear but they work well (oh and one of them you have to hold it when zooming otherwise it will automatically unzoom/zoom more depending on if the camera is facing up or down)

but i:m really happy with their quality
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I'm interested in hearing more about the 24-135- please do share your experiences!

10-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #68

I also like the sigma 70-300. I have the non-apo one, you can get it for 120 euro and it does its job. Actually, I'm really happy with its color and sharpness too. Autofocus is slow as hell and stops as soon as it's a tad darker than usual, but hey, it's no 1200 euro lens.

But I wouldn't combine it with the 28-135, but get a pentax manual focus 50mm prime instead
Then again, I don't like wide angles so much, I have no clue how to get pictures from it without clutter.
10-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #69

ok, I just read the 15mm limited thread and looked at the pics and I think I see the appeal of wide angle Dang, that thing is fine....
10-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #70

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I'm interested in hearing more about the 24-135- please do share your experiences!
One day with it and I LOVE IT!

Its so nice to have THAT MUCH RANGE! I took it on a high paced group walk around an abandoned Russian theme park (look up Russian Village Niigata) and I haven't edited the shots yet but because of the range I really feel I was able to get some good ones. I felt comfortable just using that one lens which was great especially because I wouldn't of had time to change lenses nor hold up the rest of the group.

as for the 70-300 lens

The only problem I have is catching action shots... auto-focus sucks and I'm not that good at manual focus. I only caught about 1 out of 15 shots.

It feels so good to have that much zoom. The Macro mode is REALLY intuitive (although again autozoom may be a problem). It will focus and zoom accordingly HOWEVER you have to stay in 300mm mode. So I missed a few shots because of that.

I still love it none-the-less as it is my best lens so far
10-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The idea that there are no cheap used lenses available in Japan is nonsense. You just need to go on Yahoo Japan Auctions, where will find tons of used gear for sale. Practically every lens I use came from there.
10-25-2010, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #72

Ehlacore,
Good for you. I'm glad you were able to find some lenses to work with. Looks like you have the beginnings of a pretty decent kit. That 24-135mmm should serve you very well as a walk around lens. Next thing to get, when time and money allow it, is a good sharp prime. Again, I'd say the A50mm 1.7. If you have problems with manual focus, pick up a diagonal split prism focus screen for $25.00. They aren't perfect but they sure do help.

Have fun with your new lenses.
10-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Get Helios 44 and buy beer for the change.
10-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The idea that there are no cheap used lenses available in Japan is nonsense. You just need to go on Yahoo Japan Auctions, where will find tons of used gear for sale. Practically every lens I use came from there.
Yeah, mine too. By the way, got myself a spottie from the gent. Excellent piece of machinery. Thanks for the link.
10-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Get Helios 44 and buy beer for the change.
For some reason, the helios et al are really expensive in the auctions here lately. I think it's because they are "not made in japan".