Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens advice

Hello.

sory for a nother topic related to lenses for weddings.

I want to ask if the new 35mm f 2.4 can be used almost in evry situation at a wedding? I have only a pentax k-x body and i cannot aford another one. I want to keep the kit lens for wider shots if needed but i want to use the new 35mm from pentax becose of IQ and low price (i`m not wealthy). I also want to have the best image quality i can get at low cost.
I also have pentax M 50 1.7 for portrets and a 70-300 zoom from bigma.

Thx a lot for your kindness!

10-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Da-L 35 mm could be used at weddings, but it certainly wouldn't be your only lens. It sounds like you have wider things fairly well covered. I think you would probably see an improvement in image quality over the kit lens at 35mm, but whether or not it should be your "next" lens is debatable. Have you considered the DA 16-45, as a kit lens replacement? You could probably find one in the 250 dollar range used and it would significantly bump your image quality over the kit lens.

Only you can answer what you feel your gear's biggest deficiency is. Think carefully about that and then look to fix it.
10-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My 2 (Euro) cents worth: the 35mm 2.4 would seem like a good piece to use in typical indoor light. As with all lenses, the DOF will be quite shallow with maximum aperture. Another relatively fast, not too expensive option might be a Tamron 17-50 2.8. Even with a fast lens you are likely to need high ISO settings indoors, so be sure to try these in practice to make sure the that quality of the resulting images is sufficient (IMHO, with the k-x up to and including ISO 3200 is decent, should be ok for 4x6" prints / viewing on the computer).
10-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SebastianP Quote
Hello.

sory for a nother topic related to lenses for weddings.

I want to ask if the new 35mm f 2.4 can be used almost in evry situation at a wedding? I have only a pentax k-x body and i cannot aford another one. I want to keep the kit lens for wider shots if needed but i want to use the new 35mm from pentax becose of IQ and low price (i`m not wealthy). I also want to have the best image quality i can get at low cost.
I also have pentax M 50 1.7 for portrets and a 70-300 zoom from bigma.

Thx a lot for your kindness!
The lenses you have now will do just fine. If you don't have a flash, that should definitely be your next purchase. Wedding photographers cannot rely solely on ambient light. After the flash, you next need is a second camera. Once you have that, you could look at another lens.

10-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
thx you for you advices.

To answer some questions: i already have a flash (metz 48 AF1) and i have tought at the tamron 17-50 f2.8 but i understand thet this lens is a little slow in low light and it can catch dust realy fast + some copys are bad (if i want tamron i must buy it from england were is a lot cheper then in my country and they have free transport, so i cannot change it if is a bad copy).

I look to improve the IQ of my pictures and this is way i search for another lens.
Please tell me what you will chose and why? tamron 17-50 2.8 or pentax 35mm 2.4.
10-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If IQ is more important than Focal length range flexibility the answer is of course the new 35 mm F2.4.
- Focal length can often be corrected for by your feet, but it will take some practise (and time on the job)
10-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The 35mm focal length is pretty much my favorite lens on APS-C format. As a wedding lens, the 35/2.4 should be superb. Early reports are that it is a sharp little optic.
For weddings I like something a little faster, so I use the 31/1.8, but the 35/2.4 should do very well indeed.
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't shoot weddings with fixed focal length lenses, or that your picture opportunities will be somehow limited.
This gets mentioned fairly frequently, but is never defended with any kind of logic.
I use primes, and only primes for weddings, and I've never felt that I was missing out on anything.