Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ jake.astig - You don't control the aperture directly with a DA or FA-J lens on an MZ-5n. You can shoot in Program or Shutter Priority and then adjust the camera's choice of exposure or aperture with the exposure compensation dial. In practice my MZ-5n works quite well with DA lenses and I rarely miss being able to use the Aperture Priority and Manual modes.

I actually purchased my MZ-5n body primarily because I could use it with DA lenses.

10-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a very useful lens.

Looks like an FA35 actually. ;-)
10-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It sounds to me like it should have been a DFAJ 35!
10-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

@ Steve Beswick - We can print up stickers to correct the name printed on the lens. "SMC PENTAX-D FA J 1:2.4 35mm AL". I would suggest engraving the extra letters and filling them with paint but it doesn't look like there's enough space.

10-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@ Steve Beswick - We can print up stickers to correct the name printed on the lens. "SMC PENTAX-D FA J 1:2.4 35mm AL". I would suggest engraving the extra letters and filling them with paint but it doesn't look like there's enough space.
Going off the photo of the lens on the pentaximaging.com site it looks like you could probably scrape the original letters off with your fingernail, so you micht be on to something with the engraving idea.
10-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Love it!

I've got my brand new SMC PENTAX-D FA J 1:2.4 35mm AL mounted to my MZ-S, and loaded with Ektar. Woo hoo! Who says there's nothing new in the world of film photography? Brand new lens, brand new film, current/recent camera body...
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #22

This lens could be a good value.
10-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Wow, that's impressive. What a lens, nice job Pentax.

10-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #24

Looking at this samples I want to call it SMC PENTAX-D FA J 1:2.4 35mm AL Limited

First FAJ Limited!
10-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Its a matter of time before folks start buying up the paperweights like the F and FA 28-80 lenses etc. and swapping out the mounts. Then they could get their $15 back.
10-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
Pentaxian

couple of observations re the shots.

first, they look a little over exposed, or perhaps scanned too bright.

the reason I point this out is it makes it difficult to really evaluate for vignetting and proper coverage. a properly exposed shot of a clear blue sky , or uniformly lit paved surface would really help in evaluating vignetting.

second and more to the point.

this lens is a DA because pentax has steadfastly told the entire market they are comitted to the ASP-C sensor format. to call it anything associated with an FA would imply they are planning or thinking full frame in the future, and just start a real mess of rumors that we don't need in the forums. It also means they don't need to gaurantee performance over the 35mm frame regardless of how it behaves in your sample. If they called it a DFA people would find something to bitch about in the full frame coverage, either corner sharpness, vignetting, or even the size of the hood, which is probably not DFA compatable.
10-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
. . .

second and more to the point.

this lens is a DA because pentax has steadfastly told the entire market they are comitted to the ASP-C sensor format. to call it anything associated with an FA would imply they are planning or thinking full frame in the future, and just start a real mess of rumors that we don't need in the forums. It also means they don't need to gaurantee performance over the 35mm frame regardless of how it behaves in your sample. If they called it a DFA people would find something to bitch about in the full frame coverage, either corner sharpness, vignetting, or even the size of the hood, which is probably not DFA compatable.
Like they are going to control the rumors. :Hysterical: As far as the hood issue goes, it doesn't come with one. Problem solved. Sigma solves that problem by having an adapter for aps-c sensors.

Edit: I agree with your fist point btw.
10-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
this lens is a DA because pentax has steadfastly told the entire market they are comitted to the ASP-C sensor format. to call it anything associated with an FA would imply they are planning or thinking full frame in the future, and just start a real mess of rumors that we don't need in the forums.

Yes, it would be horrible should rumours start about impending full-frame cameras.

10-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

We should keep an eye on how many ff compatible lenses they release... might indicate some future plans..! Of course we should not expect a full frame unless we collectively start buying way more
10-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
it's the Reala film. I've been getting this kind of pinkish and purple color results for the past a few rolls, all developed and scanned in the same shop.

Next time I'm gonna change shop for the development ...
It's most likely an automated scan and they don't have it set up properly for Reala.
Thanks for putting in a lot of time and effort into breaking down actual real world samples for us, well done.