Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@ jake.astig - You don't control the aperture directly with a DA or FA-J lens on an MZ-5n. You can shoot in Program or Shutter Priority and then adjust the camera's choice of exposure or aperture with the exposure compensation dial. In practice my MZ-5n works quite well with DA lenses and I rarely miss being able to use the Aperture Priority and Manual modes.

I actually purchased my MZ-5n body primarily because I could use it with DA lenses.
Yep. I guess I can set it to shutter priority and adjust the speed until I get the aperture that I want. I got the MZ-5N exactly for the same reason you did hehe

10-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I took the plunge and ordered the only listing on Amazon for the DA 35mm 2.4. All remaining listings show: Usually ships in 1 to 2 months.
10-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #33
Forum Member

Frank...thanks for the info. This DA35mm/2.4 looks like good value....I have been looking for a prime between 28 and 50mm and this looks like an affordable choice.
10-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone who has tried the FA 35 2.0 - how does this stack up? The price of the FA 35 2.0 seems a little high these days compared to this thing brand new - and faster focusing at that! I've also read that the difference in f-stop might be smaller than 1/2 stop... maybe more like 1/4 (someone said it exposes like an f 2.2).

10-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Anyone who has tried the FA 35 2.0 - how does this stack up? The price of the FA 35 2.0 seems a little high these days compared to this thing brand new - and faster focusing at that! I've also read that the difference in f-stop might be smaller than 1/2 stop... maybe more like 1/4 (someone said it exposes like an f 2.2).
Why would the focusing be any faster for either lens since they are both screw drive and are tested on the same body?
10-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Why would the focusing be any faster for either lens since they are both screw drive and are tested on the same body?
This I am not sure of - but I read that the 35 2.4 is faster to focus.

Maybe for the same or similar reason that the DA 70 is faster focusing than the FA 77 1.8? I would have assumed it was because the DA 70 is more compact / shorter focus travel but maybe not.
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
Site Supporter

This I am not sure of - but I read that the 35 2.4 is faster to focus.

Maybe for the same or similar reason that the DA 70 is faster focusing than the FA 77 1.8? I would have assumed it was because the DA 70 is more compact / shorter focus travel but maybe not.
These 2 lenses have the same number of elements and are based on the same optical forumula. The elements in the DA are 1mm less in diameter than the FA, however, the spacings would be the same. This faster AF stuff sounds like Urban Legend spawned by the Placebo Effect.

10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #38
Veteran Member

These 2 lenses have the same number of elements and are based on the same optical forumula. The elements in the DA are 1mm less in diameter than the FA, however, the spacings would be the same. This faster AF stuff sounds like Urban Legend spawned by the Placebo Effect.
Fair enough! We can agree that the focusing the same speed - so let's talk about price and the minor difference in f-stop.
10-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Fair enough! We can agree that the focusing the same speed - so let's talk about price and the minor difference in f-stop.
and the FA35 being the sharper of the two.
10-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
and the FA35 being the sharper of the two.
And with the worse bokeh.

NaCl(when the DA 35mm comes readily available look for my FA 35 f/2.0 on the marketplace)H2O
10-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Are you sure? While that conclusion does appear logical, if the thinner elements are also lighter, perhaps focusing is a bit faster. I'm not claiming that - I'm just warning us to be careful. We're attempting to use specifications to make a determination about real-world performance. That doesn't always work out - in cameras, lenses, electronics, automobiles, whatever.

Perhaps we should ask Frank, the OP, who did the comparison test involving both lenses for us. And, of course, that same comparison test reveals the FA 35 is sharper than the new DA 35. As for bokeh, it's a matter of preference. But most reaction I've read across several different forums appears to prefer the new DA 35 for bokeh versus the FA 35. But, again, that's a personal thing.

Me? I've already put a pre-order in for the new lens. All I've read and seen so far has me highly interested. I'll make my final judgements after I've used it.

Last edited by Biro; 10-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.
10-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blue, are you sure? I would think that the same formula would produce close results, yet we've seen that the two lenses have remarkably different characteristics. The FA is noticable sharper in the corners, and the DA has a much better bokeh. I'm not trying to be contrary here, I'm just confused that there is so much difference between two supposedly close lenses.

NaCl(the bokeh differences are the most puzzling)H2O
10-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank, thanks again. I've enough full frame lenses that if I ever go to film I'm ready anyway, but it's nice to know that there seems to be little to no vignetting. However I was sold on the lens anyway.

NaCl(OK, I give up! I'll get the lens already!)H2O
10-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Blue, are you sure? I would think that the same formula would produce close results, yet we've seen that the two lenses have remarkably different characteristics. The FA is noticable sharper in the corners, and the DA has a much better bokeh. I'm not trying to be contrary here, I'm just confused that there is so much difference between two supposedly close lenses.

NaCl(the bokeh differences are the most puzzling)H2O
Yes, I'm sure. They both even have the Ghostless Coating. The difference in diameter could easily account for the difference in characteristics. That's a different subject all together, however, that screw drive focus speed. However, take into consideration the differences in image characteristics from the F 50/1.4 and FA 50/1.4. Every thing is the same with those except the housing, but yet they have different characteristics (I'm not talking about the 1.7 lenses here but you see a similar thing with the F and FA 1.7).

Edit: If you don't believe me, ask Falk. I have been very deliberate in studying the FA 35/2, FA 28/2.8 AL and F 28/2.8 and this one got my attention when it was announced so I delved into its attributes.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2010/201015.html

QuoteQuote:
ncorporating a hybrid aspherical optical element in its optics, this new lens delivers high-quality images with enhanced sharpness and contrast — from minimum focusing distance to infinity — and assures exceptional image-resolving power with outstanding brightness levels even at the edges — even at an open aperture — while effectively compensating various aberrations to a minimum. It is also treated with the PENTAX-original Ghostless Coating to minimize the adverse effects of flare and ghost images, assuring true-to-life images even under demanding conditions such as harsh backlighting.
Then compare here:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/wide-angle/FA35f2.html

Edit: The FA 35/2 wasn't that old of a lens being released in 1999.

Last edited by Blue; 10-26-2010 at 02:16 PM.
10-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #45
Site Supporter

The FA /2 had the aperture ring and was $299 shipped from Ador and BH before it was discontinued. The current prices are "cult" prices.