Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Damian, I have both the A 50/1.7 and F 50/1.7, but to he honest, I have never compared them head to head. Look, the shots you took may not be identical (maybe due to the lens, maybe due to the camera), but in the end, the F 50/1.7 is an outstanding lens to have in your arsenal, especially if you got it for a great deal. That said, even though I have several AF Pentax 50mm lenses, I have not been able to get rid of my A 50/1.7 since it is such a darn good lens, and so cheap (at least when I picked mine up secondhand). Being of the AF generation though, if I had to get rid of one, it would be the A 50 and not the F 50.

10-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Jeffrey r, I'm starting to think I should just forget this whole thing and be happy with what I've got. Though, I hate unanswered questions, so I may redo the test if only to teach myself about white balance.
I may or may not get rid of the A 50/1.7. I only paid like $40 for it so it's not the end of the world if I keep it. If I get rid of it it's because I don't use it much (because of the F 50) and would rather pass it on to someone that will use it and appreciate it for what it is.
10-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Accurate colour?

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I used to have these lenses when I was shooting film. What I have found with digital is that there is no such thing as accurate colour.
Are you saying you thought film gave you accurate colour?
Or pehaps you are saying that you now realise there is no such thing as accurate colour, film included?

My experience with film was that even shooting with professional grade film from the same batch gave different results if the film had been in different temperature environments. Then there is the long term degradation of film images, particularly the earlier E6.
10-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
Are you saying you thought film gave you accurate colour?
Or pehaps you are saying that you now realise there is no such thing as accurate colour, film included?

My experience with film was that even shooting with professional grade film from the same batch gave different results if the film had been in different temperature environments. Then there is the long term degradation of film images, particularly the earlier E6.
Let's say there is no accurate colour whether you shoot film or digital. Shooting E6 and viewing them with loupe was probably the most meaningful when comparing lens colour rendition.

10-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Or, you may have one of the rare . . .

. . . SMC-A 50's that was injected with a bio-luminescent inert gas in the '80's to secretly report on global warming via subtle color shifts in red bikinis photographed on the beaches of Florida. They weren't supposed to reach the hands of hockshop shoppers (say that fast!) but a few went astray in shipping.

If the numerals 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 appear in ANY order or combination in the lens serial number you should immediately send it to me, along with with any pictures of red bikinis you may have in your possession, for further evaluation and safe disposal.

Caution: Detailed examination and comparison of red bikinis outside of a certified laboratory is associated with the onset or worsening of LBA syndrome and, in extreme cases, has led to divorce. Don't risk this yourself; let an expert do it.

H2
10-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
White Balance is only a "little" detail if you also didn't care about what film you used back in the '36 exposures at a time' days. For lens comparisons it would pay to set the white balance to something other than Auto. I don't have a Kx but I'm guessing you will access these settings through a function (Fn) button while in shooting mode.
there is a button on the back that says WB... that is where you access the WB settings..
10-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
My F 50/1.7 always seemed a little different in color to me compared to other lenses. More blue or cyan than I expected. I used to fix it in PP. But now with a K20 I see you can tweak WB, even auto WB, and I am sure that would do it too. Not sure if that will work with the K-X
I notice my pics are a bit more cool with them too... but seeing as how my pics tend to come out warm I like that about it
10-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my FA50/1.7 is on the cool side. not that much of a problem as you can always adjust the color temp.

10-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
. . . SMC-A 50's that was injected with a bio-luminescent inert gas in the '80's to secretly report on global warming via subtle color shifts in red bikinis photographed on the beaches of Florida. They weren't supposed to reach the hands of hockshop shoppers (say that fast!) but a few went astray in shipping.

If the numerals 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 appear in ANY order or combination in the lens serial number you should immediately send it to me, along with with any pictures of red bikinis you may have in your possession, for further evaluation and safe disposal.

Caution: Detailed examination and comparison of red bikinis outside of a certified laboratory is associated with the onset or worsening of LBA syndrome and, in extreme cases, has led to divorce. Don't risk this yourself; let an expert do it.

H2
OMG, you crack me up. I'll be sure to send you those pics when I take them. Maybe I'll keep my "special" A50/1.7 since it was never intended for me. By the way, I got the A50/1.7 on ebay. You'd think if they didn't want it falling into the hands of bumbling amateurs, they would have someone buying up all the "special" lenses on ebay. I guess the guys at Pentax are slipping.......

For everyone else;
So, basically thus far the consensus is that the F50/1.7 is a little cooler then the A50/1.7. Well, at least I know it's not just my lens. I guess it is probably in the coatings then, or maybe the glass has a slightly diff composition on that model. Regardless, it's very sharp, the color is awesome, it's very well built (with exception of the filter ring which has a chunk missing). And yes, I can always deal with this slight color difference in PP.