Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kiron 28mm f/2

I bought a Kiron Kino Precision 28mm f/2.0 in the Marketplace. I had some trouble at first. I can't seem to focus worth a damn, especially at f2. It overexposes on all my bodies when stopped down, but I don't think this is anything to do with the lens. It meters correctly wide open, so I meter at f2 and count the clicks. It has a slight blue cast, which is actually a good thing in Tungsten light, but sometimes needs correcting in daylight. It is almost as sharp as my FA 35, no mean feat. Contrast is excellent. Flare can be a problem, so I bought a rubber hood. I don't quite know what to make of the bokeh. At times it's classic, at times seems a little weird, but interesting nonetheless.

Here are a few samples, what do you think?

100% crop of above:

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-26-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Corrected reference to FA 35
10-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

the bokeh look a bit harsh

you might want to use smaller aperture more often to get greater dof, e.g. in the 3rd picture
10-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
...I can't seem to AF worth a damn, especially at f2...
That might be because it is a manual focus lens. Even for manual focus with focus confirm, I think you may find that the DOF is sufficiently narrow wide open that the AF system will have problems. As for the exposure issues, I am assuming that your lens has no A setting on the aperture ring and should be used in M mode with the green button (stop-down metering). If you have a K-x or K-7 the camera should meter properly except in dim light with narrow apertures. With other bodies...YMMV.

Steve
10-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

very busy OOF for my liking... but then again, I compare everything in this focal length against my 31ltd... tall order
As long as you are happy with it, it's fine...

10-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cerebrate Quote
the bokeh look a bit harsh

you might want to use smaller aperture more often to get greater dof, e.g. in the 3rd picture
The bokeh is nothing like any of my other lenses and I wasn't sure what to make of it. It does seem very busy.

I intentionally shot all these wide open to test the lens.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-21-2010 at 04:27 AM.
10-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That might be because it is a manual focus lens. Even for manual focus with focus confirm, I think you may find that the DOF is sufficiently narrow wide open that the AF system will have problems. As for the exposure issues, I am assuming that your lens has no A setting on the aperture ring and should be used in M mode with the green button (stop-down metering). If you have a K-x or K-7 the camera should meter properly except in dim light with narrow apertures. With other bodies...YMMV.

Steve
Sorry, it was a typo. I meant to say "focus", not AF. I'll change the OP so as not to confuse anyone else.

The lens is fully manual. If I use it in M mode wide open, or in Av mode where it doesnt' stop down, I get perfect exposure. If I stop down in M mode, it doesn't give me the correct exposure on the K20 or on the K-x. My Cosina A 28mm behaves similarly, on any of my cameras including the K-x; stopped down it overexposes. I'll have to do some more tests to figure out by how much.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-26-2011 at 07:26 PM.
10-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I kind of like mine.. Don't use it much (because I have too many lenses).. When I got it I had to completely take it apart to clean the oil from the aperture. Fortunately I got it put back together right.

Couldn't state that this is wide open, in fact it probably isn't but it's fairly wide open (cropped photo).

Full Uncropped Image

10-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
very busy OOF for my liking... but then again, I compare everything in this focal length against my 31ltd... tall order
As long as you are happy with it, it's fine...
The lens has had a lot of praise on the net. I guess bokeh isn't their priority.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-25-2010 at 08:45 AM.